Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

who runs your household?

who runs your household?

Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who runs your household?

2 Cat's & 3 Dog's - I'm only allowed to be here so they can be feed !
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:33 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
2 Cat's & 3 Dog's - I'm only allowed to be here so they can be feed !
I'm not quite sure how it worked out that I ended up being responsible for feeding our two cats (no dogs, thank every deity ever imagined and that ever will be imagined) but I am.

Of course, I also got landed with cleaning out the litter boxes as well. How do you like that, eh?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife handles the laundry and cooking. I do the cleaning (mostly), car and house maintenance.

I now work from home 5 days a week so I pay all the bills and all of that fun stuff.

Realistically the cat runs the household but we'll gloss over that.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I do all the paperwork and bill paying but that's largely no hardship as most is done online and almost everything is on direct debits and just gets paid automatically when it's due.

However, as we get older it does sometimes concern me that I have this level of sole control of the finances and OH would definitely be up the proverbial shit creek if I keel over as he would have no idea where to start. I have all the passwords and transfer monies around and take money from his account when I need it. I really would not be comfortable with anyone having that much of a controlling hand over my finances.

I don't think he would know how to use the washing machine, or dishwasher but I can't complain as I have no idea about how techie IT related stuff works. Wi-fi TV and Sky TV stuff are all a bit beyond me but nothing I can't learn if I need to from youtube; one thing for sure is he won't find the answers to our finances anywhere on You tube

I cook and he washes up the pans and the non-dishwasher stuff most days; he does the vacuuming to a certain degree once per week.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 5:22 pm
Sasstronaught

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
No one because we can't get them here
You can get penguins though!!! which are pretty much the same thing. I dearly miss British chocolate. Oh Hershey's, you just don't compare (though the cookies and cream bar is good).
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Me
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:26 pm
Who - me?

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I'm not quite sure how it worked out that I ended up being responsible for feeding our two cats (no dogs, thank every deity ever imagined and that ever will be imagined) but I am.

Of course, I also got landed with cleaning out the litter boxes as well. How do you like that, eh?
Yeah, but who gets all the pu...
Spoiler:
...rrs?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 1:41 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Yeah, but who gets all the pu...
Spoiler:
...rrs?
Oh, she does. Well, we all do, but they both seem to like her the best. Probably because they can tell she's in charge
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatgirl, but that's because she's at home and I live in a metal box on a building site, 2,000 miles away.

Regarding all major decisions, they're shared, with usually some give-and-take.

When I retire I imagine that the majority of jobs and responsibilities will be split along the lines of who's in the best position / most capable of doing / taking them. Although I like cooking, 'er indoors is far better than me; the mechanics of financial stuff: me, but with underlying policies agreed; cleaning: I imagine I'll be more involved; gardening: jointly, although I bloody hate it.

The one thing I do fear is budgeting (basically we don't at present), although we agree any major purchases / expenses.

I've eventually got her round to the idea of my having a big ****-off motorbike, but only in exchange for a flat stomach, which I'm now focussed on.

We may not agree on when to downsize, but hopefully that's 10 or so years off.

If we reversed roles with me doing primarily the cooking, laundry, gardening and choice of decor, it would be shambolic.