Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

who runs your household?

who runs your household?

Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:52 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who runs your household?

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
She'd let me do it all, but we both know that would end badly.
Yeah, same
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:47 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I pay most the bills and do most the paperwork, OH does most the cooking and cleaning. We both do our own taxes. She does the shopping occasionally hindered by me. I also pay for the holidays. She pays for the car and I pay for the campervan. She pays the phone bill as it gives her one utility bill with her name at our address, which has come in handy whilst I pay all the rest.

I put in most of the money but given I earn 4x what she does this is reasonable. We both want to be in control so have worked out a series of compromises. This carrys over into the camper van where anything inside she does, cooking, cleaning, beds and anything outside I do washing up, chemical toilet disposal, gas, electrics, awnings etc.

We have found it easier to agree who does what and let them get on with it rather than one person trying to do it all or to direct the other one - it did take sometime to develop this approach and getting there was tense at times.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:24 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Bills are taken care of by Mr GG. The rest of the household admin is my responsibility - all paperwork from school (swim carnivals, book fairs, reading groups, out of school hours care - it's bloody endless) and the paperwork from after school activities (music lessons, netball, football, Guides). I think Mr GG got the easier gig, TBH. I end up being the living timetable: despite the children's schedules being printed out and stuck to the fridge, and there being a Google calendar that we both have access to, it's apparently easier to ask me what's on, where people need to be, what they should be wearing and what they need to take, rather than consult either a phone or the fridge. It drives me ****ing insane. I feel like I'm constantly trying to live about three lives at once.

The rest of the domestic chores are fairly evenly split at least.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 1:24 am
Sasstronaught

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Me. Also the cleaning.

(I see a pattern here).
Old Feb 14th 2018, 1:35 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc View Post
Me. Also the cleaning.

(I see a pattern here).
The pattern being our wives are more reliable with important stuff like managing the money? I'd agree with that from my own perspective.

I do as much of the cleaning/laundry and other shit as I can though to lighten the load for her, since she's handling the more stressful stuff like paying the mortgage etc ...

She does the cooking though, but that's really because she's kind of a picky eater and it's just easier that way.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody. It's total ****ing anarchy.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I handle all the admin/paperwork, look after our rental properties, do all the cooking and a bit of cleaning and laundry.

Scouse does the bulk of the cleaning and laundry, the shopping, the outside work, and all the maintenance.

Works well for both of us.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Nobody. It's total ****ing anarchy.
You live with me?
Old Feb 14th 2018, 5:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I handle all the admin/paperwork, look after our rental properties, do all the cooking and a bit of cleaning and laundry.

Scouse does the bulk of the cleaning and laundry, the shopping, the outside work, and all the maintenance.

Works well for both of us.
Who is in charge of the Tim Tams?
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Who is in charge of the Tim Tams?
No one because we can't get them here
Old Feb 14th 2018, 10:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 14th 2018, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Thank you for the TimTam sympathy
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:03 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Biccies.
I give you biccies

We should just do a swap - you send me Walkers, I'll send you Arnotts.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Biccies.
I give you biccies

We should just do a swap - you send me Walkers, I'll send you Arnotts.
Ooooooooooo!! Thank you most kindly

I knew I loved you for a reason
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:30 pm
Cultural Marxist

Thank you for the TimTam sympathy
Yes, but being in the UK, you can get Fox's Classics. I always load up on those when I go back.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement