Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you watching right now?

What are you watching right now?

Old Nov 23rd 2021, 3:42 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you watching right now?

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Ooohhhh ... I keep seeing that on HBO, wondered if it was any good. Is it similar to anything else you've seen recently? I need something to get engrossed in!
Just need enough to keep you going until the final season of Better Call Saul comes out

We just got the Seinfeld complete series box set on DVD, so that'll keep me busy for a bit.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Just need enough to keep you going until the final season of Better Call Saul comes out

We just got the Seinfeld complete series box set on DVD, so that'll keep me busy for a bit.
My nephew is currently watching BCS, and I'm enjoying it vicariously through him - we message each other every few days and he updates me as to where he is in the story, who the latest characters are, etc. We just had a long discussion about how perfectly evil 'Lalo' (Salamanca) was! He was almost put off by the extreme violence and depravity in 'Breaking Bad', but I convinced him to try BCS and he's loving it. When the new series is near to being released, I think I'll start from the beginning of BCS.

I just finished the final season of "Bosch" on Amazon; was an enjoyable conclusion I guess but not as good as the preceding seasons. I was looking forward to the final season of 'Unforgotten' but now they want me to pay extra for it so I'm going to wait on that one (I already spend $200+ on various subscriptions ...).
Old Nov 26th 2021, 1:14 am
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My nephew is currently watching BCS, and I'm enjoying it vicariously through him - we message each other every few days and he updates me as to where he is in the story, who the latest characters are, etc. We just had a long discussion about how perfectly evil 'Lalo' (Salamanca) was! He was almost put off by the extreme violence and depravity in 'Breaking Bad', but I convinced him to try BCS and he's loving it. When the new series is near to being released, I think I'll start from the beginning of BCS.

I just finished the final season of "Bosch" on Amazon; was an enjoyable conclusion I guess but not as good as the preceding seasons. I was looking forward to the final season of 'Unforgotten' but now they want me to pay extra for it so I'm going to wait on that one (I already spend $200+ on various subscriptions ...).
Lalo is such a well written character, and Tony Dalton plays him so well.

I think I'm going to feel quite empty for a while after it finally wraps up though.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 7:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

"Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer."
When I first watched this, decades ago, sometime in the eighties, I felt dirty, like I needed a shower.
My teenager is a fan of horror and psychological thrillers, and we kept this one a secret until they were of an age, the unnamed movie they were forbidden from watching, they kept trying to guess what it was but never did. Then this weekend we revealed its name and we watched it together. It still hasn't lost its impact, the banality of evil is what sets it apart..
An incredibly well made film, that is not an easy watch.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 8:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
When I first watched this, decades ago, sometime in the eighties, I felt dirty, like I needed a shower.
My teenager is a fan of horror and psychological thrillers, and we kept this one a secret until they were of an age, the unnamed movie they were forbidden from watching, they kept trying to guess what it was but never did. Then this weekend we revealed its name and we watched it together. It still hasn't lost its impact, the banality of evil is what sets it apart..
I remember seeing that. I remember the TV set scene. There was something on BBC many years ago, possibly something in the Screen One series, involving a contract killer, but somewhat more lighthearted. Someone killed in a bath by tossing in a plugged in radio.

Say what you like about newspapers but nobody got killed by one.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I shall take a look. It’s on Amazon Prime for those who are interested.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099763/reference
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:16 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Solos
On Amazon prime, Watch it!
Weird. but fantastic performances from solo actors. And I have not got to Morgan Freeman yet!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mosquito Coast…looked OK at first but fast became tiresome.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11041132/reference

British series…Crime. A young schoolgirl in Edinburgh is abducted. The DI suspects it is the work of a serial killer…the Confectioner. Worth watching.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12759778/reference
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
British series…Crime. A young schoolgirl in Edinburgh is abducted. The DI suspects it is the work of a serial killer…the Confectioner. Worth watching.

Looks promising. Added to my list.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 10:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Irvine Walsh, I am sold
Old Nov 27th 2021, 10:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Irvine Walsh, I am sold
Hopefully no lavatory scene though.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 10:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Looks promising. Added to my list.
Irvine Walsh, I am sold
It’s advertised as being on BritBox…I don’t subscribe to BB.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 6:52 pm
He/him

"Come and See"
We do what we call Family Film Festival, each weekend that all three of us are at home on a Saturday we take turns picking a movie to watch. This Saturday I went with Come and See, it kind of picked itself after watching Henry the night before, as Come and See is too a film from the eighties and presents the banality of evil. This time it is a bigger budget, and better technical details. Its a war film, set during 1943 in Belorussia. Though, it is not an action film, it present the war, or rather the geocide of villages such as the infamous Khatyn Massacre, through the eyes of a 13 year old, who joins the partisans, get abandoned from them, and ends up in a village as the Nazis arrive
It could be mistaken for a psychological horror, .A week ago I read this essay from the New York Times, about how the selection of words used can frame how we see war. It struck me as I watched the film, how even these acts of war crimes have a thin veil of a kind of respectability because they are part of a war, and if I stopped thinking of it as a war film, then it morphed in to a horror film, everything about it could be from a horror movie.
I saw this at the cinema in the eighties and I have rewatched it every 5-8 years since, its silly to think of any film as being the best, but whenever I have to name or think of a film that I consider to be the best I have ever seen, it is always Come and See.
Come and See
Old Nov 30th 2021, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

Just over half way through Eyewitness (or Øyevitne) from Norway.
Two 15 year old boys secretly meet up in the forest, only to witness a blood bath. They are seen, but escape trying to keep this as a secret, both in fear of the perpetrator and that their secret is revealed.
Yet another good drama/thriller from up and over there.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s advertised as being on BritBox…I don’t subscribe to BB.
We have watched some crackers this year here are some (that I can remember lol) Shetland (a series that has remained excellent throughout) close to me (which has just finished in tv) will keep you guessing. Black mirror each show is different and reminds me of “tales of the unexpected” “Pembrokeshire murders” was a good series based on a true crime. Will have to look up the other series, we also really enjoy the Scandinavian dramas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.