Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you watching right now?

What are you watching right now?

Old May 5th 2021, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you watching right now?

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Fair point.
Bloody Guardian has had at least three reviews or articles by Tuesday that while giving nothing away might at least influence state of mind when watching.
The concept of 'state of mind' is very interesting! Back in the day when I was really 'into' movies, I would make a big effort to go see a movie quickly before all the 'chatter' started about it - whether it was news reports, 'water cooler discussion', whatever. I wanted to go into the theater with an absolutely open mind, not influenced by anything.

Now, if someone says 'it's a great movie', then that's possibly OK - because then you are at least optimistic! But if someone says 'its crap', it can somehow pre-dispose you to be looking for fault. I remember seeing 'Star Wars' on its opening day in Leicester Square, London (1977). And 'Alien' (1979). Those were good movies to see without any pre-conceptions

I'm just on to S3 of Bosch. Great theme BTW...if you ignore the lyric.
Funny, I use the feature in Amazon Prime's 'app' to skip the intro each time as the visual is a bit overwhelming! I hope you are liking "J. Edgar"! I don't know why, but he's one of my favorite characters.
Old May 5th 2021, 8:07 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I remember seeing 'Star Wars' on its opening day in Leicester Square, London (1977).
I was there!

And 'Alien' (1979). Those were good movies to see without any pre-conceptions
Odeon in Bristol for this one though.
Old May 5th 2021, 10:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The concept of 'state of mind' is very interesting! Back in the day when I was really 'into' movies, I would make a big effort to go see a movie quickly before all the 'chatter' started about it - whether it was news reports, 'water cooler discussion', whatever. I wanted to go into the theater with an absolutely open mind, not influenced by anything.

Now, if someone says 'it's a great movie', then that's possibly OK - because then you are at least optimistic! But if someone says 'its crap', it can somehow pre-dispose you to be looking for fault. I remember seeing 'Star Wars' on its opening day in Leicester Square, London (1977). And 'Alien' (1979). Those were good movies to see without any pre-conceptions
I went to see Alien expecting to be scared but I think that created too much of an expectation
Great movie but that first time was a little disappointing.
Funny, I use the feature in Amazon Prime's 'app' to skip the intro each time as the visual is a bit overwhelming! I hope you are liking "J. Edgar"! I don't know why, but he's one of my favorite characters.
I skip it if I'm watching back to back but other than that I like to hear it.
Old May 6th 2021, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I was there!

Back then, Leicester Square was a true haven for movies! I don't remember the names now, but you had one massive, single-screen cinema on the east side (Odeon, perhaps?), and another single-screen monster on the north side (next to the 'Swiss Center'? 'Empire'?). I was in Leicester Square in late 2019, wasn't quite the same!
Old May 6th 2021, 11:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Back then, Leicester Square was a true haven for movies! I don't remember the names now, but you had one massive, single-screen cinema on the east side (Odeon, perhaps?), and another single-screen monster on the north side (next to the 'Swiss Center'? 'Empire'?). I was in Leicester Square in late 2019, wasn't quite the same!
There was definitely an Odeon there. I went once, probably in the afternoon of a day I was up there for an England match. I wonder if I can track it down.
Old May 6th 2021, 11:03 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it was the Odeon.
Old May 6th 2021, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

There was definitely an Odeon there. I went once, probably in the afternoon of a day I was up there for an England match. I wonder if I can track it down.
Success!
Having previously checked websites for various concerts I attended back in the 70s at particular venues I hoped I could find something similar for movies but no. The best I could do was look at a list of movies of 'that year' and I noticed a couple of British sex comedies so common back then - and some of them actually very good.

And they kind of reminded me of what I saw, except it was American. If you're in London for the day, you tend to go see something not likely in your home town or something just not there yet, as was the case back then.

The date of release (1974) didn't fit with my Wembley visits so it was likely a Fulham vs Bristol Rovers match that I was there to see.

Anyway, finding myself in Leicester Square and knowing the Odeon was where they had the movie premieres I went over to see what was showing.
It was Flesh Gordon. No, not Flash Gordon, Flesh Gordon. And it was bloody hilarious.

When it came to Bristol later I saw it again with some mates.

I'd never heard of a Penisaurus before and I was into dinosaurs as a child.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never heard of a Penisaurus before and I was into dinosaurs as a child.
You weren't a Catholic altar boy then?
Old May 10th 2021, 7:15 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Exterminate All the Brutes

"Exterminate All the Brutes" is a unique study of Europe's dark history in Africa, written in the form of a travel diary and a historical examination of European racism over the past two centuries
Old May 10th 2021, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am watching UK morning TV live.
Old May 10th 2021, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

I really liked Bosch Season one and Season 2, but disliked Season 3 and never managed to finish it. I think we bailed on it about 1/2 way through.
...For me it didn't run out of steam so much as the "feel" of the show changed. I don't know if they wanted to mix it up a bit or something but it lost the feeling of him being a cop and went in a different direction....
...I do seem to recall season 3 was not as good as the former two. However, I stuck with it because for me, even when the storyline isn't perfect, I'm invested with the characters now...But for me, Seasons 4 and 5 were back up to the original standard.
I started S4 last night. I can't say I noticed much different in S3...same obsession, same disregard for rules and procedures.

S4 is hinting at a change of direction, maybe.

I actually like the two old cops. Can't recall the dialogue that accurately but one is telling the other a joke and the other says something wearily like
"you know you've told me this joke before..." and gets back
"yes, but I'm not sure if you remember it."
Then they get interrupted, then it's "where were we?"
"Oh yes..." and he starts with the joke again only this time the one who was weary of having heard it before is now excited to hear it as if he's never heard it before.
Old May 10th 2021, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Finished watching Viewpoint last night. 5 eps, shown on UK TV a couple of weeks ago. A bit slow for my liking but OK.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11684368/
Old May 16th 2021, 6:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Bosch has kind of been reminding me of someone and now that I'm in Season 5 where he's under cover as a frazzled looking Oxy addict, I think I know.
Spoiler:

Old May 16th 2021, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Bosch has kind of been reminding me of someone and now that I'm in Season 5 where he's under cover as a frazzled looking Oxy addict, I think I know.
Spoiler:

The new series is available in a few days.

Watched the first series of Innocent last week…in readiness for the second series this coming week.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5963958/

I am enjoying watching live or recorded UK TV, as opposed to downloading programs.

Old May 17th 2021, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I started S4 last night. I can't say I noticed much different in S3...same obsession, same disregard for rules and procedures.

S4 is hinting at a change of direction, maybe.

I actually like the two old cops. Can't recall the dialogue that accurately but one is telling the other a joke and the other says something wearily like
"you know you've told me this joke before..." and gets back
"yes, but I'm not sure if you remember it."
Then they get interrupted, then it's "where were we?"
"Oh yes..." and he starts with the joke again only this time the one who was weary of having heard it before is now excited to hear it as if he's never heard it before.
You may already know, and/or you may not care in the slightest, but the pair's nicknames in the show are 'Crate and Barrel'. Crate and Barrel' is a high-end US retail store selling kitchenware and furniture (I happened to walk past one of their stores last night and thought of you / this post!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.