Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you watching right now?

What are you watching right now?

Old Mar 20th 2021, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you watching right now?

Another from C4's Walter Presents
Heksejakt or Witch Hunt.
Law firm working Ida Waage has to sign a bill for 450 000 Euros, but hesitates. She doesn't know the firm. Can she trust the people she works for? Is it a scam? Should she blow the whistle?
Old Mar 20th 2021, 7:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I can't really take dubbing...it never really fits.
Same here. The worst is when the character's chattering away nineteen to the dozen, but all you hear is something like 'ok'. Makes you want to know what they really said
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Grace...Dead Simple...shown on UK TV this week. Set in Brighton...a stag night prank doesn’t go as planned. So far 1 x 2 hr stand alone episode, but looks like more to follow.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11639300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Well worth watching.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 20th 2021 at 1:20 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We are at the point that we only watch stuff that have sub titles. The amount of back ground noise/ music and people mumbling and M getting more hard of hearing saying " what are they saying" all the time means subs for the win!
This is a really vexed issue. Those who know about cinema technicalities would be able to confirm this - but if you watch an older film (1940s, 50s etc.) you can hear every word of dialogue from the principals. Presumably, they somehow recorded it separately and put it forward, with background noise much reduced. But now, a high proportion of the dialogue is simply an indistinguishable mumble, however high you turn the volume. What on earth is the point? And, it’s not just because I’m old! I could watch Maltese Falcon (say) and have no problem hearing what they’re saying.

Yup subtitles usually work. But one thing we’ve watched (the excellent Israeli family drama series, Shtisel) where you’d have to be a speed reader to follow the (very funny & very convoluted) conversations. Plus which, if the person talking is wearing a white shirt - forget about it. Added to which, they are talking in at least two different languages, Hebrew and Yiddish.

Fortunately I can understand quite a bit of Hebrew. My wife has always claimed she knows Yiddish, since her father and grandparents usually spoke it (so the kids wouldn’t understand.) Turns out about the only Yiddish she knows is “kush meyn tokhes”
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched first episode, season 6 of Line Of Duty.

Going to be awkward getting used to something weekly again rather than watching as much as you want, when you want.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched first episode, season 6 of Line Of Duty.

Going to be awkward getting used to something weekly again rather than watching as much as you want, when you want.
I download eps and binge watch as soon as various series have finished. With LOD I have to be careful not to read anything about it, because the twists and plots are always plastered all over the papers.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I download eps and binge watch as soon as various series have finished. With LOD I have to be careful not to read anything about it, because the twists and plots are always plastered all over the papers.
I would do that normally (download or allow them to accumulate) but for LOD I like to read the guardian review and comments soon after watching. It helps tie up any loose ends I may have missed.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Tell Me Your Secrets. 10 eps on Amazon Prime. Several strange people with strange pasts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7177890...tt_eps_yr_2021
Old Mar 27th 2021, 12:07 am
Oscar nominated

La Unidad - Spanish with English subs. Some streaming sites plus SBS.

6 parter, terrorist thing but enough differences for it to be worth a watch.
Definitely for fans of Spooks, Homeland and The Bureau and "24" for action.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I would do that normally (download or allow them to accumulate) but for LOD I like to read the guardian review and comments soon after watching. It helps tie up any loose ends I may have missed.
The Guardian review was just posted at the same time as this week's episode finished. There were over 200 comments within half an hour.

I may as well watch it now - don't worry, no spoilers from me.

Edited to add....over 700 comments now. It's midnight in the UK. Shouldn't they be in bed?

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 28th 2021 at 11:07 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 12:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This thing about Murdoch, on Amazon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxw1

The power and influence..... The people (prime ministers) he influenced.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just finished watching The Forgotten...series 4, 6 eps. Shown on UK TV. 5 friends who had just competed the police training course in 1990, had an eventful car ride that night. It was excellent.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192812/

Series 1 - 3 are currently available on BritBox.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 10:25 am
Oscar nominated

Not right now but I think it's about time to watch The Long Good Friday again.

'They cut the beheading scene': The Long Good Friday, remembered by Helen Mirren and co-stars
Old Apr 1st 2021, 11:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Not right now but I think it's about time to watch The Long Good Friday again.
I sometimes refer to Bo Hoskins as the British Gene Hackman; if he's in it, it's probably a good movie. When he retired because of Parkinson's Disease he said he felt he had to quit because he could no longer deliver the performance his audience deserved. He already had my respect as an actor, but I was impressed by this selfless act of professionalism.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

kielergata or Kieler Street.

Possibly on Prime and MHz

Norwegian, English subs
Jonas has started a new life and lives in Scandinavia's least criminal town. But the facade falls when Jonas realizes that other inhabitants are former criminals with dark secrets. They will do anything it takes to protect their new lives.
Two episodes in, very enjoyable.

I love that a guy is disposing of a corpse, cut up and burying it and the family cat - which he had taken to the vet - escapes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.