Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you listening to right now?

What are you listening to right now?

Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:36 am
Just Joined

captain hindsight will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

I just discovered an artist, a singer and songwriter from Belgium called Milow. This song is nice -

That's better, thank you Lion In Winter for telling me how to get the video showing in the post
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:47 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captain hindsight View Post
I just discovered an artist, a singer and songwriter from Belgium called Milow. This song is nice -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jCErmS3Q-...D12EF0&index=5

That's better, thank you Lion In Winter for telling me how to get the video showing in the post
That's a big guitar.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's a big guitar.
Ha ha, yes... He seems to usually play on a smaller guitar, a regular one.

Do you know anything about sami people? They're an indigenous people who live in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. I'm one of them. We have a kind of music called joik,

Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:04 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, yes... He seems to usually play on a smaller guitar, a regular one.

Do you know anything about sami people? They're an indigenous people who live in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. I'm one of them. We have a kind of music called joik,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-qA7GDkKZJk
I had heard of the people, but not the music. I like it though. Some of the tones remind of the music northern plains native americans. What is that song about?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:17 am
Just Joined

I had heard of the people, but not the music. I like it though. Some of the tones remind of the music northern plains native americans. What is that song about?
Joik only describes something or someone, not with words, but how he joiks it. If it sounds fast or light, the person, animal or thing he joiks about is that way. If it goes slow, the person, animal or thing is probably slow too.

There were some words in the joik I posted, "we don't give up" and "indigenous peoples power and hopes". It's possible to joik about everything

Last edited by captain hindsight; Dec 13th 2012 at 4:21 am.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:45 pm

Joik only describes something or someone, not with words, but how he joiks it. If it sounds fast or light, the person, animal or thing he joiks about is that way. If it goes slow, the person, animal or thing is probably slow too.

There were some words in the joik I posted, "we don't give up" and "indigenous peoples power and hopes". It's possible to joik about everything
If you had to translate "joik" to English, what would you say? Recognizing that some concepts don't translate very well. It sounds very intepretetive.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

If you had to translate "joik" to English, what would you say? Recognizing that some concepts don't translate very well.
I would say exactly the same. The things he says that sounds like words are not words with a meaning. It's improvised vocal sounds instead of words. The melody tells the story, or describes the thing he joiks about.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:55 pm

I would say exactly the same. The things he says that sounds like words are not words with a meaning. It's improvised vocal sounds instead of words. The melody tells the story, or describes the thing he joiks about.
<Wraps head around concept>

So how do you know what the joik is about? Does the singer have to announce it, or does it simply not matter, it's just whatever it feels like to the listener?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

<Wraps head around concept>

So how do you know what the joik is about? Does the singer have to announce it, or does it simply not matter, it's just whatever it feels like to the listener?
Usually he mentions something in the joik, like the name of the person the joik is dedicated to, or something about the animal he joiks about (often something cryptic about it, example "slow, big and blue with big ears", he is joiking about an elephant).

I don't understand joik so good, my family never joiked when I was a child. I'm raised in a christian family, some christian people used to think joik was to allure devils, and it was forbidden to do that. But some of my friends has their own joiks, the joik describes how the person is. It's hard for even me, as a sami, to understand joik.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

This arrived in my mailbox..

Cast includes..
Liam Neeson
Gary Barlow
Ricky Wilson
Alex Clare
Joss Stone

I love the original (1978), so this is going to be interesting. War of the War of the Worlds.

The updated artwork / sleeve is really well done... Wish it was album sized... Silly CD's.

Original here...

Cast includes..
Richard Burton
David Essex
Phil Lynott
Julie Covington
Justin Hayward
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:06 pm

Usually he mentions something in the joik, like the name of the person the joik is dedicated to, or something about the animal he joiks about (often something cryptic about it, example "slow, big and blue with big ears", he is joiking about an elephant).

I don't understand joik so good, my family never joiked when I was a child. I'm raised in a christian family, some christian people used to think joik was to allure devils, and it was forbidden to do that. But some of my friends has their own joiks, the joik describes how the person is. It's hard for even me, as a sami, to understand joik.
Well it's very interesting. I shall have to hunt down some more.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I love the original (1978), so this is going to be interesting. War of the War of the Worlds.

The updated artwork / sleeve is really well done... Wish it was album sized... Silly CD's.

Original here...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-z63WFCw-S.jpg

Cast includes..
Richard Burton
David Essex
Phil Lynott
Julie Covington
Justin Hayward

Oooh. Richard Burton and Phil Lynott. Be still my beating heart.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Well it's very interesting. I shall have to hunt down some more.
Yes, it is interesting You'll find a lot on youtube by searching at sami music. Or sami joik.

You can also ask me if you want to know more
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Kid Rock's Rebel Soul album ... It's bloody good actually.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:59 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Rage. On the ABC (Oz) tele. Not bad today.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.