Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you listening to right now?

What are you listening to right now?

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

Big Bill Broonzy:
Old Jun 27th 2020, 12:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

After posting the ketty Lester song in the "Talk in song titles" thread, I replayed this.

Everyone knows the Soft cell version from 1981, but it isn;t too different to this original - from 1964!

Old Jun 27th 2020, 12:59 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

.... and the very next is again the original, from 1967.... and considered by it's writer Cat Stevens, to be the best version.
PP Arnold was only 20, fresh out of Watts and an abusive marriage (with 2 chilldren aleady!) when she bought this song from Cat Stevens for £30. Cat Stevens recorded it himself 6 months later..... he was only 19 when he wrote it!

PP Arnold is still in the UK and still recording.....aged 73

Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:40 pm
Resident Cynic

Rediscovered this.... has it really been 10 years?

Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mcliam i enjoyed tainted love and first cut is the deepest.Records like that got me in american soul when i left school.Do you remember Henry's record shop in St marys street i used to go in there and buy imported american soul singles for 1.00p and 1.50p.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 2:51 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Thanks Mcliam i enjoyed tainted love and first cut is the deepest.Records like that got me in american soul when i left school.Do you remember Henry's record shop in St marys street i used to go in there and buy imported american soul singles for 1.00p and 1.50p.
I don't think much of what I remember will still exist! I left Southampton in '78 and have only popped back a few times since then..... Early 60's music covered a lot of bases..... and much got covered later with people not aware they were covers (I remember having to work hard to convince my cousin from LA that the Kinks weren't "new" in the late '70s!!) - here's a couple that might suprise you

25 years before George Harrison...

.... and 13 years before Blondie
Old Jun 28th 2020, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

greytroot is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy with the Arab Strap - Belle & Sebastian - can't post links yet!

Old Jun 30th 2020, 8:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm on to this: These guys played our old club before it burned down in 1990. They were good, except for the bass player, who was a Brit. He wanted to fight when he got pissed, and nobody likes that.
and then The Animals (Before They Were So Rudely Interrupted)
this song in particular, right now:

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 30th 2020 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I remembered this the other day.I brought this in 1973 right at the beginning of my record buying days.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:57 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZyk5mixXk
I remembered this the other day.I brought this in 1973 right at the beginning of my record buying days.
Nice one ECK, so that was already 10 years old by then...... top selling single was

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

This is another early purchase,could not remember the title till now
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

the christians harvest for the world.It's not often i say this this is better than the original
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thinking of this and listen in the summer breeze here in spain. Wow what a song
Old Jul 4th 2020, 5:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Archie bell and the drells.this is when i used to go to the inner city soul club in southampton bargate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.