Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What are you listening to right now?

What are you listening to right now?

Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

Suits my mood.

Old May 1st 2020, 1:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
... and to think "Horse Outside" got deleted.......
Old May 1st 2020, 1:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

From another thread....

She would have been 60.....
Old May 1st 2020, 1:48 pm
Resident Cynic

and my favourite cover......because of what happened to her, it seems prophetic.
She charted as high as the Kinks original in the UK and even higher in ireland where she was loved.
Ray Davies said "I didn't think much about the song when I wrote it. Sometimes songs occur like that. You don't think about it, but it's built up quite a lot of mystique over the years. It certainly left me. It belongs to the world now."

Old May 1st 2020, 1:59 pm
Resident Cynic

Her father wrote "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"***, and she wrote this

** rather different to the Roberta Flack version, but sweet and real
Old May 1st 2020, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That’s one of my favourite songs.
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:01 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
and my favourite cover......because of what happened to her, it seems prophetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJcd1pTaL0
She charted as high as the Kinks original in the UK and even higher in ireland where she was loved.
Ray Davies said "I didn't think much about the song when I wrote it. Sometimes songs occur like that. You don't think about it, but it's built up quite a lot of mystique over the years. It certainly left me. It belongs to the world now."
Just like the version of I go to Sleep that he wrote. Chrissy Hinds version changes the song completely from the Kinks version.
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:06 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Just like the version of I go to Sleep that he wrote. Chrissy Hinds version changes the song completely from the Kinks version.
Yeah, I think the Kinks version is sublime, but they never actually released it..... it was by the Applejacks, one of the many 60s groups that played songs composed by others. You can hear a subtle change towards the Pretenders version from that, though Chrissie injected the emotion (it was a great cover). Someone once played the Sia version to me..... and it was a pale imitation - I can't understand why anyone covers a well known track if they can't improve it.

Ray Davies has been a hero of mine since I was 9 or 10 - my Ma loved "Sunny Afternoon" and I learned it to sing in the car (along with the rest of my jukebox memory).
Old May 2nd 2020, 2:45 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think the Kinks version is sublime, but they never actually released it..... it was by the Applejacks, one of the many 60s groups that played songs composed by others. You can hear a subtle change towards the Pretenders version from that, though Chrissie injected the emotion (it was a great cover). Someone once played the Sia version to me..... and it was a pale imitation - I can't understand why anyone covers a well known track if they can't improve it.

Ray Davies has been a hero of mine since I was 9 or 10 - my Ma loved "Sunny Afternoon" and I learned it to sing in the car (along with the rest of my jukebox memory).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enXrun3Jeuo
I jokingly blame Ray Davis for causing M's heart attack. We had spent the evening listening to the Kinks before he ended up in a helicopter on his way to hospital. ( but we do still frequently listen to them, they are amongst his favorites)
Old May 5th 2020, 9:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 5th 2020, 9:56 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Good song, but of it's time....... I'm sure someone singing to a reggae beat in an affected accent would be accused of "cultural appropriation" these days...... However, McFerrin has a very fine instrument in his voice
Old May 5th 2020, 10:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Good song, but of it's time......
When this was on the hit parade someone was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Empire Hotel, and the .303 went right through him, and right through the parking lot attendant's shack, and when I drove by next morning and saw the place wrapped up in yellow police tape I looked up to the sign above (which usually said World's Coldest Off Sale), and it said Don't Worry Be Happy. That was the time.
Old May 6th 2020, 6:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Old May 6th 2020, 7:21 pm
Resident Cynic

Millie passed away in London yesterday, aged 72
Old May 6th 2020, 7:29 pm
Resident Cynic

and, in a different genre, Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk, whose death was announced today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.