Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Pity you missed out on the 70's
Only 95% of them ...

Actually I could have seen a lot more of them - my parents were married in 1969. Just my dad apparently took ten years to work out what his knob was for ...

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
School sports...

Concrete underpass, smelling faintly of.... something. Pack of No.6 or JPS if you were flash, and a flagon of Strongbow.
For me it went through stages. 1st - 4th year it was divided between wishing we had a football team and wanting to play cricket but not wanting to give up my Saturdays so being forced to do swimming which I hated because I can't swim.

5th year/lower 6th was convincing the Geography teacher who ran the basketball group to let us play football; until the people in the year below came along and actually wanted to play basketball.

Upper sixth was 20 B&H and 'sorry sir, I forgot my shorts today'. Off to the darkroom for a crafty smoke and 5 minutes of developing photos
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Oh yeah No.6 - forgot about those since school as well
No.10's if you were really desperate.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Only 95% of them ...

Actually I could have seen a lot more of them - my parents were married in 1969. Just my dad apparently took ten years to work out what his knob was for ...
Hmmm,,sorry, but even had you been born on their wedding day you would never have been old enough to REALLY enjoy the 70's.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

being forced to do swimming which I hated because I can't swim.
That would take the fun out of it a bit, yeah.

Mind you, everyone floats eventually.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Hmmm,,sorry, but even had you been born on their wedding day you would never have been old enough to REALLY enjoy the 70's.
I might have discovered wanking towards the end of 1979 ...

Anyway, I get to enjoy the 70s more now. I can listen to all the good prog and hard rock, without having to endure the disco

That would take the fun out of it a bit, yeah.

Mind you, everyone floats eventually.
I hated being forced into it. I should have just joined the bloody cricket team!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

No.10's if you were really desperate.
or 10 No.6's I think sovereign were the first pack I ever bought, must have been 40 years ago!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
or 10 No.6's
yes!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:04 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Have not heard that word since school.
Monocotyledons and dicotyledons.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:38 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'd forgotten about those mustard and cress cultivations. Ah, happy days.

We went on "nature walks", too.
So did we, I think there was less litter and risk of child molesters then, though.

We made an awful lot of cress in school as well. I didn't learn anything from it except that cress is tasteless and can be grown on a cotton wool ball.

Our idea of a nature walk came much later - it involved jumping over the wall to for a crafty smoke in the university car park next door. Ahhh, the sixth form, great days
As can bacteria. You did realise this was about Primary school, didn't you?
True of most of the things I learnt at school really.
Evidently.

It would never have worked between us
Because he's old enough to be your Great Uncle, or some other reason?
School sports...

Concrete underpass, smelling faintly of.... something. Pack of No.6 or JPS if you were flash, and a flagon of Strongbow.
You're painting such a charming picture of suburbia... Sounds like something The Jam might have written. You're not Paul Weller, are you?

Oh yeah No.6 - forgot about those since school as well
You smoke King Edwards nowdays, right?

Last edited by paranoidandroid; Jan 25th 2013 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
As can bacteria. You did realise this was about Primary school, didn't you?
The first bit was primary school, the second was the only occasion I could think of where we did anything that could have been called a 'nature walk' while still at school.

There was that one time, in primary school, where we went to some agricultural centre for our summer trip and we all thought it was a great idea to eat the wild garlic that was growing around the place. F***ing stank in the bus on the way back to the school
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:47 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

There was that one time, in primary school, where we went to some agricultural centre for our summer trip and we all thought it was a great idea to eat the wild garlic that was growing around the place. F***ing stank in the bus on the way back to the school
Sounds like a perfect example of the old chestnut.. "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Sounds like a perfect example of the old chestnut.. "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Well yes, but an eight year old's life is full of such moments. Except throwing worms at the girls on sports day - that's always a good idea
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:50 pm

Primary school.

Mrs Manning.. if you are reading this, you were a mean, mean dinner lady.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:51 pm
I have a comma problem

Primary school.

Mrs Manning.. if you are reading this, you were a mean, mean dinner lady.
That's all well and good - can you imagine my delight though, the day my bloody mother turns up as our new dinner lady?

Oh aye, standing outside the headmaster's office for saying f*** in class becomes so much more fun when it happens three seconds before your ma shows up for work. Bastards
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:57 pm

That's all well and good - can you imagine my delight though, the day my bloody mother turns up as our new dinner lady?

Oh aye, standing outside the headmaster's office for saying f*** in class becomes so much more fun when it happens three seconds before your ma shows up for work. Bastards

Also, Mrs Manning would be about 120 by now. Probably too mean for that to have stopped her though.

Last edited by Nutek; Jan 25th 2013 at 5:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.