Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 View Post
I think its lovely kids still being in to books. My sister is trying to convert me to getting a Kindle but I prefer books and some I have had since I was young. But you cant beat a series or collection of books in your bookcase that you had and loved as a child.

I still read my Malory Towers when I want a bit of escapism.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I agree...the same goes for photo albums.
As an oppressive parent, mine didn't have any choice really. I made sure to get him his own books since he was tiny, so that he could love and cherish them and get the feel of them in his hands, including second-hand books that have a shared history. Digital stuff is fine and convenient at times, but it ain't got no soul.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Make sure you get editions with Sean Bean on the front and then you can lust when the book gets left out.
Now that's what I call efficient use of resources.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:42 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
As an oppressive parent, mine didn't have any choice really. I made sure to get him his own books since he was tiny, so that he could love and cherish them and get the feel of them in his hands, including second-hand books that have a shared history. Digital stuff is fine and convenient at times, but it ain't got no soul.
That is so true, dont laugh but some of my really old childhood books have that old 'smell' to them, that takes you back to your childhood years where you can remember being snuggled up in bed reading them.

The hardback books are my favourites, brightly coloured picture on the front cover, nice solid books that last forever (if you look after them). I can read my books again and again and each time be taken back to the time when I first read them.

It doesnt matter where I am - the beach, the bus, the train, if I am reading a good book I can visualize and imagine each scene and character. I hate putting the book down and can lose myself in it until I have finished and then it's a case of 'what can I read now'.

In a good book, you dread finishing it because you enjoyed reading it so much.

Nope, I will never be interested in Kindles and stuff like that - in fact, I might just take a trip to the charity shop to see what is on offer.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:18 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 View Post
I think its lovely kids still being in to books. My sister is trying to convert me to getting a Kindle but I prefer books and some I have had since I was young. But you cant beat a series or collection of books in your bookcase that you had and loved as a child.

I still read my Malory Towers when I want a bit of escapism.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I agree...the same goes for photo albums.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Couldn't agree more with you guys. I love books and so does my daughter. She has shelves full and doesn't mind reading them over and over. Her favourite is still The Secret Garden. My mom bought it for her when she was about 6 and they read it together.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

LeVigneron_32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jerseygirl you obviously suffer from zenophobia, language skills are very useful, especially to expats! OK Latin is a 'dead' language but, only in the sense that it suffered from lack of dynamism. It is still extensively used in the law, medicine, zoology, paleontology, ecology etc. In fact, all branches of the sciences; broaden your horizons.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:53 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in my local coffee shop and someone just walked in in their pyjamas, slippers and with rollers in their hair. Had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't in Walmart..........
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeVigneron_32 View Post
Jerseygirl you obviously suffer from zenophobia, language skills are very useful, especially to expats! OK Latin is a 'dead' language but, only in the sense that it suffered from lack of dynamism. It is still extensively used in the law, medicine, zoology, paleontology, ecology etc. In fact, all branches of the sciences; broaden your horizons.
It's nothing to do with xenophobia, it's one of the site rules that all posts must be in English unless there's a translation (or it is a known phrase, I use the long form of QED from time to time ...)

Besides, what have the bloody Romans ever done for us?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Central heating and indoor plumbing.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing to do with xenophobia, it's one of the site rules that all posts must be in English unless there's a translation (or it is a known phrase, I use the long form of QED from time to time ...)

Roads!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

My god, he's still alive then..
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I thought the spelling mistake might reel him back in
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:22 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Castles and gladiator movies
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:31 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Heard by a friend;
"Vermont is a city in Upstate New York, settled by pioneers from New York City who wanted to live like the backwoodsmen of England."

The Romans gave us Londinium. Ooops, that's foreign that is.

I used a search to check my spelling and found this game at the Museum of London Children might enjoy it.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Oh aye, though I'm usually too busy during the day, I still check in on me phone from time to time.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved all the 'binder' posts into a thread of their own.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774942

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.