Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I love where you lived in Ontario. Except for the black flies and mosquitoes. Those I don't love so much.
Damn blackflies. I get the itches whenever they are mentioned. Nasty little bastards. The only living things that can chase the freight train, otherwise known as a moose, out of the woods. But yes, that area is gorgeous.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Damn blackflies. I get the itches whenever they are mentioned. Nasty little bastards. The only living things that can chase the freight train, otherwise known as a moose, out of the woods. But yes, that area is gorgeous.
Are they the same as gnats/midges? I've been in Toronto for about 9 weeks...the first night we went out for dinner and sat outside on the lakeside patio to eat. The next day I had several clusters of bites on my back, chest and arms. They weren't mozzie bites because they usually show as single bites. One cluster contained about a dozen or more bites. 9 weeks later I still have the bloody red, itchy clusters on my back and arms.

Since then I have tried to remember to take my Lentek bug repellant when I go out. If I forget it...sure enough I find more cluster bites.

Edit: Google tells me they are the same. I've also got bites in my hair...looks like I've got nits when I keep scratching my head all the time.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2012 at 3:18 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Are they the same as gnats/midges? I've been in Toronto for about 9 weeks...the first night we went out for dinner and sat outside on the patio to eat down on the lakeside. The next day I had several clusters of bites on my back, chest and arms. They weren't mozzie bites because they usually show as single bites. One cluster contained about a dozen or more bites. 9 weeks later I still have the bloody red, itchy clusters on my back and arms.

Since then I have tried to remember to take my Lentek bug repellant when I go out. If I forget it...sure enough I find more cluster bites.

Not totally the same, although some call them a Buffalo Gnat. Really small and black. There are other types of gnats. They have them at the orphanage, whitish in color, and they bite, but no blood. The black flies where I was could fit one on the head of a pin and they bite like shit and draw blood. If you get a black fly bite you will usually have a bit of dried blood at the site of the bite. My kids used to get them under their hair, at the back of their head and neck. Lots of dried blood. They bite hard enough to bother the moose. I guess it comes down to what type of black fly.

By the way, they love anything that has a perfume smell, and they are drawn to dark colors.

Last edited by dakota44; Aug 29th 2012 at 3:24 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not totally the same, although some call them a Buffalo Gnat. Really small and black. There are other types of gnats. They have them at the orphanage, whitish in color, and they bite, but no blood. The black flies where I was could fit one on the head of a pin and they bite like shit and draw blood. If you get a black fly bite you will usually have a bit of dried blood at the site of the bite. My kids used to get them under their hair, at the back of their head and neck. Lots of dried blood. They bite hard enough to bother the moose. I guess it comes down to what type of black fly.

By the way, they love anything that has a perfume smell, and they are drawn to dark colors.
I was always covered in gnat bites when I was a child. The worse is if they get down your clothing...they try to bite their way out.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I was always covered in gnat bites when I was a child. The worse is if they get down your clothing...they try to bite their way out.
They are a pest. When it hits late afternoon at Westfalia they come out. If you are anywhere near a green area you are fresh meat. One of the German girls volunteering there had about 200 bites her first few days. All that fresh white skin.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
263 mile walk
I feel ill.

Glad he's OK.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:11 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in far northern Ontario I used to get up in the morning and have to ppeel my hair off the back of my neck. It would be stuck on by dried blood from the blackflies.

Here people complain about mosquitoes, but I don't think I've been bitten in the 6 years we've lived in Australia.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:38 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in far northern Ontario I used to get up in the morning and have to ppeel my hair off the back of my neck. It would be stuck on by dried blood from the blackflies.

Here people complain about mosquitoes, but I don't think I've been bitten in the 6 years we've lived in Australia.
We stayed on Manituolin island for one night many years ago. When I got up in the morning it looked like someone had taken a Brillo pad to 90% of my body.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Call me AL View Post
We stayed on Manituolin island for one night many years ago. When I got up in the morning it looked like someone had taken a Brillo pad to 90% of my body.
Manitoulin Island. Lovely place. When the black flies aren't out.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You mean up around Timmins or Kapuskasing? Get up around Kap and you are north of the treeline. Used to go fishing up there. Definitely an out of the way place. I remember passing the sign that said from that point on, all rivers run North.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
uIRBxRlsYR0
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I feel ill.

Glad he's OK.
Crazy eh? He was planning on doing it in 10 days, I think he walked around 70 miles in the 3 days since we left him.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:46 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You mean up around Timmins or Kapuskasing? Get up around Kap and you are north of the treeline. Used to go fishing up there. Definitely an out of the way place. I remember passing the sign that said from that point on, all rivers run North.
Rossport. It's about 100 miles northeast of Thunder Bay. I worked for the guy who owns the Rossport Inn the first year it was open and lived in one of the little log cabins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.