Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Piff Poff View Post
She has been thinking of studying in Tokyo when she graduates, she is also thinking a year of teaching English or something so this was a great taster to see if it would be a place she does really want to go and that is a big fat YES! So now it's finding out what her options are, she has a bit of the traveling bug and she has an invite to go back - as far as 'this is where we keep our spare keys if we're not in when you come...'
Teaching English there would be a great experience for her. It pays somewhat better than other places if she can land a contract. Always wanted to go to Japan but doubt it will happen before time runs out. Hope she follows up and goes back. It would be a good idea for her to take an TESL course, likely available through a University in your area. Skip the online stuff and go for a course that provides actual class time experience. Japan is not fond of just online qualifications. Some places in Japan pay as much as about $3k a month.

Here are a few links that she might find helpful. The first is a government of Canada link with some good advice and some potential problems. It should be a must read before sticking ones toe in. Well worth checking out.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/japan_japon-eng

http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/

Last edited by dakota44; Aug 5th 2012 at 6:44 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:05 pm
Henry Bear

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Teaching English there would be a great experience for her. It pays somewhat better than other places if she can land a contract. Always wanted to go to Japan but doubt it will happen before time runs out. Hope she follows up and goes back. It would be a good idea for her to take an TESL course, likely available through a University in your area. Skip the online stuff and go for a course that provides actual class time experience. Japan is not fond of just online qualifications. Some places in Japan pay as much as about $3k a month.

Here are a few links that she might find helpful. The first is a government of Canada link with some good advice and some potential problems. It should be a must read before sticking ones toe in. Well worth checking out.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/japan_japon-eng

http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/
Thanks for the links I will have a look later - our local college does the TESL so that is handy - didn't realise it paid quite so well
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff View Post
Thanks for the links I will have a look later - our local college does the TESL so that is handy - didn't realise it paid quite so well
It does pay well in Japan, but the cost of living is quite expensive. So it is all relative. That Canadian link gives loads of info on pay, visa requirements to work, apartment rentals and different types of teaching jobs as well as advice on contracts. Quite a good resource.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Watching NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory broadcast live as they tried to land the new rover, Curiosity, on Mars. Total success and I have never seen such a happy bunch of people when it was confirmed. Awesome job in any case, but certainly given the highly complicated procedure they used.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:09 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Watching NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory broadcast live as they tried to land the new rover, Curiosity, on Mars. Total success and I have never seen such a happy bunch of people when it was confirmed. Awesome job in any case, but certainly given the highly complicated procedure they used.
Money well spent. Space dollars always pay off in multiples. Too bad many can"t see it that way.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:16 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

highly complicated procedure they used.
Yeah... Every time I went through their mockup movie landing I was thinking "this is never gonna work... Too much like a Thunderbirds episode", but they did it. Great job
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:34 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing a story from Graham Linehan and Armando Ianucci that in the 90s they were at the BBC studios working in the room that Last Of The Summer Wine read-throughs were done in. On the wall were the story-cards for an episode ready for the actors and a narrator to go through later that day. At which point one of Ianucci's team added the card for the narrator to read out, "Compo bursts a duck with his cock."
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:27 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a lovely evening with a great friend this evening who has really made my life so much richer.

So all is well in my world
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:29 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I spent a lovely evening with a great friend this evening who has really made my life so much richer.

Jack Daniels or Johnnie Walker?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Neither. I am just high on life
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Glen Morangie.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Glen Morangie.
Are they the ones who dump their sofas deep down a glen?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:09 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue View Post

There's nothing like a good gas with a great friend to lift your spirits

I swear, if it wasn't for one or two of my close friends, I would have either gone raving bonkers or topped myself by now!!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have no idea how they get any work done, but I wouldn't mind working there.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/07/...d-meeting-room
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea how they get any work done, but I wouldn't mind working there.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/07/...d-meeting-room
London's is fairly cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.