Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old May 11th 2022, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I've seen bigger boxes than some of those rooms..

The OH is 6' 4" and not skinny. I'm not sharing a small double with him Also, his feet would hang off the end.

And then there's the whole fridge in the living room thing due to the kitchen being a small passageway rather than an actual room. I mean, I don't need a mansion but...
Daughter and family are renting an Air BB for a month until school ends and they move out of state. The blurb was very misleading. There is no kitchen really even though it said kitchen appliances. The only appliances are a microwave on a table and a plug in hot plate. If it wasn't so hard to find something at short notice and not wanting to keep moving kids about they would have asked for their money back. But between us and her in-laws we are keeping them well fed!

Hope you find something adequate soon
Old May 11th 2022, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Well, sort of a smile. In a way.

Rental agents describing a space the size of a medium cupboard as a "bedroom".

Apparently everyone in the UK is 4' 6" tall and owns zero stuff.
UK property sizes are a disgrace. I've seen 3-4 bed detached with smaller square foot total than our 2-bed apartment here. It's not like we're in a monster gaff, the second bedroom is only big enough for a standard double and the super-king in the master takes up most of the room.

I honestly can't get my head around how you can advertise a 4 bed house where two of the rooms are basically studies.
Old May 11th 2022, 10:53 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I remember working for a developer, back in the '80s, who competed with another developer to build & sell the smallest apartment!
Old May 11th 2022, 11:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
UK property sizes are a disgrace. I've seen 3-4 bed detached with smaller square foot total than our 2-bed apartment here. It's not like we're in a monster gaff, the second bedroom is only big enough for a standard double and the super-king in the master takes up most of the room.

I honestly can't get my head around how you can advertise a 4 bed house where two of the rooms are basically studies.

Closets.
Old May 11th 2022, 11:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I remember working for a developer, back in the '80s, who competed with another developer to build & sell the smallest apartment!

I think I've looked at some of those.

Old May 11th 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Jolly Good View Post
Daughter and family are renting an Air BB for a month until school ends and they move out of state. The blurb was very misleading. There is no kitchen really even though it said kitchen appliances. The only appliances are a microwave on a table and a plug in hot plate. If it wasn't so hard to find something at short notice and not wanting to keep moving kids about they would have asked for their money back. But between us and her in-laws we are keeping them well fed!

Hope you find something adequate soon

The air bnb we are landing in claims a king bed (not super king, sadly) and appears to have an actual stove. We shall see.

For the longer term, I don't need one of those vast kitchens, but it would be nice for both of us to actually be able to fit into the room at the same time.
Old May 11th 2022, 11:53 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've looked at some of those.
Didn't take long, did it!
Old May 11th 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Didn't take long, did it!
Blink and you'll miss it.
Old May 11th 2022, 12:10 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Having moved to London in 1980, I've lived in some glorified cupboards advertised as "studio flats", where to switch on the light you opened the fridge door.....
Even my first purchase, thoiugh in a good area, was barely larger than the lounge in Macliam Manor these days!.... and that included the bathroom and entrance hall!!

At the time I could have bought a 2-bed in Streatham for the same price...... but I wanted to be central (and near to Mmme Tussauds and Sherlock was pretty central!)
Of course.... I couldn't get all that luxury(!) without some compromise..... so it was in the basement as well!!!

I sold it for £40k, in 2018 it was sold for £291k....... and its estimate today is £351k!!!
Old May 11th 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Having moved to London in 1980, I've lived in some glorified cupboards advertised as "studio flats", where to switch on the light you opened the fridge door.....
Even my first purchase, thoiugh in a good area, was barely larger than the lounge in Macliam Manor these days!.... and that included the bathroom and entrance hall!!

At the time I could have bought a 2-bed in Streatham for the same price...... but I wanted to be central (and near to Mmme Tussauds and Sherlock was pretty central!)
Of course.... I couldn't get all that luxury(!) without some compromise..... so it was in the basement as well!!!

I sold it for £40k, in 2018 it was sold for £291k....... and its estimate today is £351k!!!

A good call though. I mean, Streatham....

Still, the eye-watering price changes must be hard to swallow for someone who sold property back before that huge boom in prices happened. My family lived in a pretty average house in Maida Vale up until I was three. It is now valued in the millions
Old May 11th 2022, 12:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

A good call though. I mean, Streatham....

Still, the eye-watering price changes must be hard to swallow for someone who sold property back before that huge boom in prices happened. My family lived in a pretty average house in Maida Vale up until I was three. It is now valued in the millions
I can't complain, I traded up and up.... so ended up mortgage fee in my early 50s with a house now worth silly money. Moving from a basement in Marylebone to a view over open countryside is definitely a good call!
Old May 11th 2022, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Closets.
So I need to look for 6+ bed houses to convert one to an office and one to a walk-in wardrobe. Gotcha

one of those vast kitchens,
So where will the island be that houses a wine fridge that you stand drinking around?

Old May 11th 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

So where will the island be that houses a wine fridge that you stand drinking around?

I think that's known as the living room.
Old May 11th 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I can't complain, I traded up and up.... so ended up mortgage fee in my early 50s with a house now worth silly money. Moving from a basement in Marylebone to a view over open countryside is definitely a good call!
Yeah, basement living is pretty grim, even in London.
Old May 11th 2022, 2:03 pm
Resident Cynic

Yeah, basement living is pretty grim, even in London.
Nah, it was OK - as long as you never wanted to open the windows! The traffic fumes from Gloucester Place were best kept outside!

Here people complain about the smell from the rape-seed ..... what?

Then again, someone local actually left a note with a neighbour asking them to stop putting their canaries at the window, because the noise was disturbing them!!! Heavy metal canaries, obvs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.