Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 30th 2021, 5:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post

They're a worry at that age!

I only ended up getting called into school because of his "chronic talking".

No idea where he got that, either.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 5:57 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

I think we all got yelled at in school for talking to much. I know my sister and I did.

I used to get done for staring out of the window during class. I was forever being moved into the middle of the classroom, or against the opposite wall. Whatever, I always passed my exams and daydreaming is fun.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 6:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I think we all got yelled at in school for talking to much. I know my sister and I did.

I used to get done for staring out of the window during class. I was forever being moved into the middle of the classroom, or against the opposite wall. Whatever, I always passed my exams and daydreaming is fun.

Staring out of the window was a crime of giant proportions, apparently. I used to get that all the time.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 6:20 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

When the Little Lion was the same sort of age, he picked up the habit of saying "oh shit" when something happened that he didn't like, like dropping something. He had picked up the context for using the phrase perfectly. I was always afraid he would say it at preschool and that I would get a call from the social services.
I was pulled up some twenty-odd years ago by my youngest stepdaughter, then aged 8 or so: I'd dropped a dish in the kitchen and let rip with "oh merde" to hear a voice from the next room saying "biscuit" (French pronunciation).

I went to ask what that was about and was rewarded with a lovely little song, to the tune of This Old Man (Knick Knack Paddy Whack). It doesn't really work when translated to English, which is a bit of a shame.
Spoiler:
Tu dis merde, moi biscuit
Chaque un mange ce qu'il a dit.

You say shit, me biscuit
Each one eats what he said

Old Nov 30th 2021, 6:20 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Staring out of the window was a crime of giant proportions, apparently. I used to get that all the time.
Ok, technically I wasn't paying attention, I suppose but the joke's on them because I can daydream anywhere, the window was just a bonus.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I was pulled up some twenty-odd years ago by my youngest stepdaughter, then aged 8 or so: I'd dropped a dish in the kitchen and let rip with "oh merde" to hear a voice from the next room saying "biscuit" (French pronunciation).

I went to ask what that was about and was rewarded with a lovely little song, to the tune of This Old Man (Knick Knack Paddy Whack). It doesn't really work when translated to English, which is a bit of a shame.
Spoiler:
Tu dis merde, moi biscuit
Chaque un mange ce qu'il a dit.

You say shit, me biscuit
Each one eats what he said

Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, technically I wasn't paying attention, I suppose but the joke's on them because I can daydream anywhere, the window was just a bonus.
That's just reminded me of an old tale. There's more than one version. I like this one.
There were once two men, both seriously ill, in the same room of a great hospital. Quite a small room, it had one window looking out on the world. One of the men, as a part of his treatment, was allowed to sit up in bed for an hour in the afternoon (something to do with draining the fluid from his lungs). His bed was next to the window. But the other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

Every afternoon when the man next to the window was propped up for his hour, he would pass the time by describing what he could see outside. The window apparently overlooked a park where there was a lake. There were ducks and swans in the lake, and children came to throw them bread and sail model boats. Young lovers walked hand in hand beneath the trees, and there were flowers and stretches of grass, games of softball, and at the back, behind the fringe of trees, was a fine view of the city skyline.

The man on his back would listen to the other man describe all this, enjoying every minute. He heard how a child nearly fell into the lake, and how beautiful the girls were in their summer dresses. His friend’s descriptions eventually made him feel he could almost see what was happening outside.

Then one fine afternoon, the thought struck him: Why should the man next to the window have all the pleasure of seeing what was going on? Why shouldn’t he get the chance? He felt ashamed, but the more he tried not to think like that, the worse he wanted a change. He’d do anything! One night as he stared at the ceiling, the other man suddenly woke up, coughing and choking, his hands groping for the button that would bring the nurse running. But the man watched without moving – even when the sound of breathing stopped. In the morning, the nurse found the other man dead, and quietly took his body away.

As soon as it seemed decent, the man asked if he could be switched to the bed next to the window. So they moved him, tucked him in, and made him quite comfortable. The minute they left, he propped himself up on one elbow, painfully and laboriously, and looked out the window.

It faced a blank wall.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:23 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That's just reminded me of an old tale. There's more than one version. I like this one.
Yeah, I know that one. I'm nowhere near as creative as the person in the story was, of course.
Old Dec 1st 2021, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

After a solid 6 months working in the pilbara iron ore mines, I finally get to fly home today to my wife, kids and fur baby Leila, I cannot effing wait, and am having a pint in Perth airport . Part 2 of this post will appear in the what pissed you off today thread
Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
After a solid 6 months working in the pilbara iron ore mines, I finally get to fly home today to my wife, kids and fur baby Leila, I cannot effing wait, and am having a pint in Perth airport . Part 2 of this post will appear in the what pissed you off today thread
Crikey, it seems like it was only 5 minutes ago when you posted similar. Happy reunion!!
Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:47 pm

Mining men.

Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Mining men.
Decades and decades ago I heard a radio interview with Pete Seeger broadcast from his home on the Hudson River. He said (more or less) "When I was a young man I had a good job with the Library of Congress, and some real good prospects, and then I met Woody Guthrie. He took me with him and taught me to ride hobo in boxcars and sing in saloons and I never looked back."
Old Dec 1st 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Decades and decades ago I heard a radio interview with Pete Seeger broadcast from his home on the Hudson River. He said (more or less) "When I was a young man I had a good job with the Library of Congress, and some real good prospects, and then I met Woody Guthrie. He took me with him and taught me to ride hobo in boxcars and sing in saloons and I never looked back."
I loved old Pete.

Old Dec 1st 2021, 2:42 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I just received my new glasses!

I went for an eyetest with a well known optician (thought I'd "better go") and my eyesight hadn't changed enough for a new pair - but my existing ones had a scratch, I had decided to give up on varifocals (as they were more trouble than they're worth as my reading sight requires no correction) and I wanted UV protection (cataract prevention). "Oh right," they said, "have a look at our frames...... ", "But I don't want new frames, I just want new lenses" - cue builders sigh, "We don't replace lenses sir". Bye Bye.

Found a company who WILL replace lenses (and have a good rep), but as it's a postal service, that was an issue. Then I found a brand new set of my existing frames on a well-known auction site (the frames are now "obsolete") for under £40. So I sent the new frames off for reglazing, single vision, scratch and UV protected according to the new prescription, £24 (with a £10 off first order offer). That was last Friday - today they have been returned and are excellent.

£64 (£74 w/o coupon) for a new pair of specs (Timberland frames). Seems good to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.