Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Oct 24th 2021, 12:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You can buy cheaper pods, Waitrose own ristretto is alright and about half the price of the Nespresso own ones. I just haven't found one that tastes as nice as theirs.
Could by aluminium pods and make yourself for each use to save the plastic, but we recycle the pods with nespresso themselves so that removes that concern I suppose. Totally agree on it being better than the hotplate stuff.

Coffee needs to be taken seriously, but not so serious people can't order what they fancy or get all hipster over it.

I'm assuming Cona means something....
Whilst the facility to recycle is a good example of greenwashing, I'd still guess most go into landfill. But if it works for you, so be it - it's OK within it's limitations and far better than filter or instant (unless drinking decaff, in which case any mud will do). People add milk, people add sugar (or sweetener)......... and people often buy the cheapest coffee available or leave it on the shelf for weeks, so the word "Coffee" can have many meanings.....

If you look up wiki for the Hyundai, there is a polite explanation of the naming issue - it's like the famous Ford Pinto, the Mitsubishi Pajero,, etc.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
If you look up wiki for the Hyundai, there is a polite explanation of the naming issue - it's like the famous Ford Pinto, the Mitsubishi Pajero,, etc.
Just looked it up. Hilarious.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 1:45 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Just looked it up. Hilarious.
Pajero and Pinto are similar (although of a different gender)

There is such a history of such names - the one I remember was years ago when BT produced a "smart" office phone system based on the Sinclair QL - they called it the "Tonto". They were keen to export it (it was quite a revolutionary concept back then). Unfortunately, tonto means stupid in Spanish and Portuguese - between them the first language of a high percentage of people in their intended markets.

Then there was the Vauxhall Nova. "No va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish ,

The Hyundai issue just proves that people don't learn........

Last edited by macliam; Oct 24th 2021 at 1:47 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 3:46 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

There is such a history of such names - the one I remember was years ago when BT produced a "smart" office phone system based on the Sinclair QL - they called it the "Tonto". They were keen to export it (it was quite a revolutionary concept back then). Unfortunately, tonto means stupid in Spanish and Portuguese - between them the first language of a high percentage of people in their intended markets.

Rolls Royce did do their homewwork and did not name a model the Silver Mist, choosing instead to christen it the Silver Shadow. Mist, in German, would not have been a good name....
Old Oct 24th 2021, 4:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of the first phrase I learned in Spanish, when my flatmate's boyfriend used to say it to her..

Callate tonto, por favor

Spoiler:
Shut up/be quiet stupid/fool, please

Old Oct 24th 2021, 4:47 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Rolls Royce did do their homewwork and did not name a model the Silver Mist, choosing instead to christen it the Silver Shadow. Mist, in German, would not have been a good name....
Rubbish! ........ could have been a lot worse!
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
That reminds me of the first phrase I learned in Spanish, when my flatmate's boyfriend used to say it to her..

Tonta, if for her, no?

Last edited by macliam; Oct 24th 2021 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 7:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish! ........ could have been a lot worse!

Tonta, if for her, no?
Indeed it is... but I was going on your post of Tonto
Old Oct 24th 2021, 10:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it is... but I was going on your post of Tonto
My name is Tonto, I hail from Toronto and I speak Esperanto. - Jay Silverheels
https://exequy.wordpress.com/2013/04...y-silverheels/
Old Oct 25th 2021, 2:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Cost of some of these coffee machines amazes me, I have seen them locally for (the equiv. of) €500! I can buy a kettle & a jar of instant for less than €10!
This is the way. I only use the pods at work because I don't have to pay for them or the machine.

I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee so I just use instant there when I need it and it does the job just fine.

I don't care if that thing's called the idiot, or the fact that it'd be completely useless to me, I want one just to have sitting around.

Also I think Nova is a pretty appropriate name, in that case
Old Oct 26th 2021, 4:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

How can you tell when the seasons change in California?
Spoiler:
When the cocktail conversation turns from wildfires to landslides.

Old Oct 27th 2021, 12:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This sunrise today in the Peak District. Posted on the BBC. Credit to photographer Danny Shepherd.

Old Oct 27th 2021, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
This sunrise today in the Peak District. Posted on the BBC. Credit to photographer Danny Shepherd.
We saw a double, semi circular rainbow like that last week. Never seen one before.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 2:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We saw a double, semi circular rainbow like that last week. Never seen one before.
Yes, I saw one over Hamilton last week - I took a photo but it's not very clear, and nowhere near as beautiful as the one posted by LIW. There were a couple last year too.. this one from June (taken in Toronto) https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/06/...toronto-skies/

Rainbows always put a smile on my face

Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Kangaroo golf fans

Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Rainbows always put a smile on my face
I took this in April of 2019 while driving through Saskatoon:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.