Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Oct 20th 2021, 12:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by daveincolchester View Post
I was coming out of the Village Store when I saw this. It made me smile today.
That doesn't look like Colchester.

Maybe your name is DavewasinColchester. What's Colchester like to live, and how commutable to London, say two to three times a week? It's one of the places we were looking at.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Colchester Ontario, I probably should have been more specific.

They were probably going on a tour of the local wineries.

Commute to London Ontario about three hours.

To London England, you'd better bring a big bag of sandwiches.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 1:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Colchester Ontario, I probably should have been more specific.

They were probably going on a tour of the local wineries.

Commute to London Ontario about three hours.

To London England, you'd better bring a big bag of sandwiches.

Ah right. Yes, Canada might be a bit far.

I've been to London, Ontario, ages ago.

Are you allowed to drive a horse after drinking
Old Oct 20th 2021, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Ah right. Yes, Canada might be a bit far.

I've been to London, Ontario, ages ago.

Are you allowed to drive a horse after drinking
Only if it's an automatic.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

That doesn't look like Colchester.

Maybe your name is DavewasinColchester. What's Colchester like to live, and how commutable to London, say two to three times a week? It's one of the places we were looking at.
Commute used to be easy when we lived near by. Colchester was ( is?) a Garrison town with lots of squaddies which seemed like night time at the weekend could be fight fest! It was our nearest big town for shopping etc back in the '80's and busses and trains were great then. M and the kids were born in Colchester at the Maternity Hospital that is now closed down. My sister in law recently moved out of Colchester town to Bures a small village but still on the rail link. It is a beautiful area on the Essex Suffolk border. Love the area.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was coming out of the Village Store when I saw this. It made me smile today.
Nice contrast. Old style transport, new style solar panels.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Risotto learning to eat 'solids'. Apologies for the appalling photo quality and the mess in the background. Filling their tummies was more important than cleaning especially when they make such a mess of eating.

Old Oct 21st 2021, 12:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I collected scouse from hospital this evening in a taxi, it was a relatively minor day procedure done under sedation so he had to have a responsible adult to sign him out.

God knows what they gave him, but he was high as a kite. The taxi driver looked like he was having a bad day from the get-go, and I don't think listening to scouse singing along loudly to the radio for half an hour (even though he didn't know the words) improved his mood.

The worst was when he tried to sing What's Up (a Concrete Blonde song). He'd obviously never heard it before but that didn't stop him trying to sing it. He did catch on to the chorus, which led to some delightful and totally out of sync bellowing 'yeah yeah yeah yeahyeah yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah WHAT'S GOING ON'

His responsible adult alternated between stuffing her fist in her mouth to stifle her laughter, and utter mortification. Silly old coot
Old Oct 21st 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I collected scouse from hospital this evening in a taxi, it was a relatively minor day procedure done under sedation so he had to have a responsible adult to sign him out.

God knows what they gave him, but he was high as a kite. The taxi driver looked like he was having a bad day from the get-go, and I don't think listening to scouse singing along loudly to the radio for half an hour (even though he didn't know the words) improved his mood.

The worst was when he tried to sing What's Up (a Concrete Blonde song). He'd obviously never heard it before but that didn't stop him trying to sing it. He did catch on to the chorus, which led to some delightful and totally out of sync bellowing 'yeah yeah yeah yeahyeah yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah WHAT'S GOING ON'

His responsible adult alternated between stuffing her fist in her mouth to stifle her laughter, and utter mortification. Silly old coot

Responsible adults have a tough job. When OH was last under sedation, as he came out he was saying things in Latin.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 4:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I was waiting to find out who that was.

Responsible adults have a tough job. When OH was last under sedation, as he came out he was saying things in Latin.
Did he know Latin or was it a case for an exorcism?
Old Oct 21st 2021, 5:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

A novel way to let you know he wasn't compos mentis
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I was waiting to find out who that was.
So am I!

Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Did he know Latin or was it a case for an exorcism?

No, he does actually know a fair bit of Latin. Comes in handy when you need school mottoes translated and stuff.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No, he does actually know a fair bit of Latin. Comes in handy when you need school mottoes translated and stuff.
My school's motto translates to 'work is pleasure'

****ing cringe.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:32 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
My school's motto translates to 'work is pleasure'

****ing cringe.
Mine was "through gory to the bars".

Despite always getting a "D-" in latin, I still love the motivational aspect these people instilled in me.

Never surrender.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Mine was "through gory to the bars".

Despite always getting a "D-" in latin, I still love the motivational aspect these people instilled in me.

Never surrender.
It should be something more realistic though, so there's no shock later in life once you get past the 18 year free trial and realize how shite everything is

I always did well in Latin but I dropped it because I'd no room for it in my GCSEs. Even now though it, and my schoolboy French, are helping me learn Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.