Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 4:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Limerick have just won the 2021 All-Ireland Hurling final, Limerick 3-32 Cork 1-22.

That's the third All-Ireland title for the Treaty Boys in 4 years, a record All-Ireland score and (sweetest of all)............ it was against our neighbours and rivals, Cork!

Last edited by macliam; Aug 22nd 2021 at 4:27 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 6:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
LiW arrange to meet LL near the statue of Ken Dodd in Lime Street Station 😉
Originally Posted by RICH View Post
iI like that. Nott a lott!
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
How tickled I am.

He was always a bit uncomfortable somehow.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 12:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'll bet she had perfect eyesight and she was just having a bit of fun with fellow travellers
I read one of mum's bodice rippers once, it must have been a Senior's Special X-rated one because it kept mentioning 'his member'

I can still make her blush by suggesting she do a Parliament House tour so she can see as many members as she wants to.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 1:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I read one of mum's bodice rippers once, it must have been a Senior's Special X-rated one because it kept mentioning 'his member'

I can still make her blush by suggesting she do a Parliament House tour so she can see as many members as she wants to.
My mum used to read Jean Plaidy books - historical novels but I'm not sure if there was ripping going on.

Daughter of Satan sounds pretty dodgy though.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

At 6.00 this morning, the guardian reported on a 13 year old with autism who auditioned for a prestigious ballet school.

Others arrived by BMWs while she caught two trains, two buses and walked along a dual carriageway. While others waited in their cars for covid test results (mid lockdown) mum and daughter waited on a chilly bench.

She was accepted but the fees are quite expensive. £29,000 a year. With insurance, £90k needed for three years.

In the report at 2.37 - a little over 8 hours later - crowdfunding has raised £97k for her.

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

At 6.00 this morning, the guardian reported on a 13 year old with autism who auditioned for a prestigious ballet school.

Others arrived by BMWs while she caught two trains, two buses and walked along a dual carriageway. While others waited in their cars for covid test results (mid lockdown) mum and daughter waited on a chilly bench.

She was accepted but the fees are quite expensive. £29,000 a year. With insurance, £90k needed for three years.

In the report at 2.37 - a little over 8 hours later - crowdfunding has raised £97k for her.

Wonderful story .. what a courageous young lady - they have raised £105,000 so far!
On the fundraiser her Mum wrote:
Dear everyone,

What a day!

You the great British public are incredible. We have reached our goal (plus expense of uniforms, insurance, travel and equipment etc).

We have been on a roller coaster of emotions today and have been genuinely taken aback by the love, kindness and support people have expressed.

Constance's place has been confirmed and she starts in a week and a half. Eek!

All our love from the bottom of our hearts

Laura and Constance xxx
This is Constance.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 23rd 2021 at 3:54 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful story and an obviously talented and lovely child who, I suspect, will go far.
How nice to have happy tears in my eyes for a change. I needed that in the midst of all the horror of late.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
How nice to have happy tears in my eyes for a change.
I was telling my mother in law about it and I choked over my words as I relayed the part about the funds raised.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I was telling my mother in law about it and I choked over my words as I relayed the part about the funds raised.
How could one not.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 10:58 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Fab
Old Aug 24th 2021, 12:05 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Aug 24th 2021, 1:02 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Mayne not quite the same, but a similar thing happened to us here in Portugal.

"Mickey", the semi-feral alpha male cat of the area, adopted us - and some years later brought his son "Peuga" to us.

Peuga the heffalump is now "our" cat....
Old Aug 24th 2021, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

A ten minute 'short' that I remember from the old days. Well worth a look.

Old Aug 25th 2021, 4:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do if lockdown prevents you from going to your Aunty's funeral? If you're Ben the Australian sheep farmer, you make a heart out of sheep (with the help of some cunningly placed feed). The way Ben tells the story made me smile, the video made me teary. Watch the tweeted video, it's the one played at the funeral with Ben's chosen music.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...te-to-his-aunt

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 25th 2021 at 4:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.