Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Dec 25th 2020, 12:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Last day at school Tuesday, job interview Thursday (really just to see if I could string a few words together) and working Monday after.
Those were the days. Every week for a couple of months before we finished high school, companies would visit the school to recruit. I got an HR job in a bank's head office before I left school and they told me I could have the summer off if I wanted to, and start work after that. Oh alright then

Seems almost unbelievable that companies actually competed for school leavers then. I wish young people had the same opportunities now.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 12:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Those were the days. Every week for a couple of months before we finished high school, companies would visit the school to recruit. I got an HR job in a bank's head office before I left school and they told me I could have the summer off if I wanted to, and start work after that. Oh alright then

Seems almost unbelievable that companies actually competed for school leavers then. I wish young people had the same opportunities now.
Times have certainly changed. We had careers days and evening lectures where people 'in the know' would come along and give a talk.
I wanted to be a journalist and went to a talk that was supposed to be someone from the BBC. They didn't make it and someone from the local paper did it instead. It was the most boring thing ever.

I had a sort of daydream and imagined myself so bored I started to throw chairs around for some excitement. Then I couldn't stop giggling.

My 'interview' was down to my mum who worked in the personnel office and it was a junior office role, 'casual' and to be permanent with the right exam results.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 1:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Times have certainly changed. We had careers days and evening lectures where people 'in the know' would come along and give a talk.
I wanted to be a journalist and went to a talk that was supposed to be someone from the BBC. They didn't make it and someone from the local paper did it instead. It was the most boring thing ever.

I had a sort of daydream and imagined myself so bored I started to throw chairs around for some excitement. Then I couldn't stop giggling.

My 'interview' was down to my mum who worked in the personnel office and it was a junior office role, 'casual' and to be permanent with the right exam results.
Was the giggling part of the dream or were you actually doing it?!

Nearly 11pm here, I'm smiling because although I drank enough bubbles to floor a football team today, I feel surprisingly ok. Not terrific but 'ok' is far better than I deserve
Old Dec 25th 2020, 2:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

SEAGOON:
It's summer in Bermuda but it's winter over here.

ECCLES:
You can't fool me Neddie. Look at the reading on this thermometer.

SEAGOON:
A hundred and thirty degrees?

ECCLES:
Yer.

SEAGOON:
This thermometer has a temperature. We must get it to a doctor at once!

SEAGOON:
Wait a minute. You took the thermometer out of a hot water bottle.

ECCLES:
Of course. I always keep it in there. If I didn't it would drop below zero and we'd freeze to death.

Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

CSE grade 4 for me.

It always seemed wrong to me that the O level kids were allowed calculators in the exam and we weren't. If they were so good why the hell did they need calculators.

If we were allowed calculators in math class back in the 80's and 90's in California, I'd have gotten through math so much easier, maybe even passed a math class....

This is one of the more amusing things I have seen, lumps of coal, mistle toe, they have a sense of Christmas spirit in Hawaii last year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 25th 2020 at 7:29 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Still nothing yet???
Old Dec 26th 2020, 2:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I always get a kick out of The Beaverton:
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/12...-vaccine-last/
Old Dec 26th 2020, 7:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

And today she is Anastasiya Sweet. "Do you memorize me?"
Nastyusha Gentle says she might like to see Niagara Falls with me.... She says she's 33 and isn't into anything naughty, so that's just not on.
If she knew what I was really like she wouldn't even send spam emails to me; she'd be bleaching her computer.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
No idea, sadly. Covid rampant in the US, OH needs a vaccine before he can really risk going anywhere at all, I need a vaccine so I don't get it and give it to him, quarantines are still compulsory on both ends of a US/UK flight, son couldn't quarantine here due to OH being high risk, I can't quarantine in the UK since son has zero space, sister is high risk so her house no go, and 14 days in the Premier Inn is just silly as well as cost-prohibitive. Plus their sausages are vile.

Anyway, it's excellent that you and your mum are enjoying yourselves. That's a net gain for the universe in this totally unsatisfactory year.
Sorry for the slow reply, got back just before Xmas in the mad dash when the world was slowly closing doors to the UK, thankfully we're sill open (and advertising the fact on telly in the UK) so the flight was packed with a really wonderful range of undesirables that the sparkly lights of Dubai attracts, sadly.
Anyway, good Chrimbo? I'm back at work today which blows but it had to happen sooner or later.

UK quarantine is only 10 days now I think, even reduced by testing after 5 maybe. Still far from ideal and might be worth waiting for the vaccine? How do you get it in the States? Pay? Get offered?
As soon as that's done for you and the other half, you can get him on a flight quick sharp?

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 27th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot something did make me smile. I watched on YouTube an hour long piece about Mohamad ali, How good was he a!!!
Old Dec 28th 2020, 10:15 am
Oscar nominated

From the Guardian alternative sports awards today

Most popular intervention of the year

Was a fake @MarcusRashforrd account handling the alt-right so he didn’t have to. @KTHopkins: “Dear Marcus Rashford, do you think women should think about how they are going to feed a child before they decide to have it? I do not want to pay to feed other people’s kids. You are welcome to.” The fake account’s reply had two words, and 259.8k likes.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 11:31 am
Oscar nominated

OMG why have I never seen this before?
It's from 2016.
It's infectious. In a good way.

Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Sorry for the slow reply, got back just before Xmas in the mad dash when the world was slowly closing doors to the UK, thankfully we're sill open (and advertising the fact on telly in the UK) so the flight was packed with a really wonderful range of undesirables that the sparkly lights of Dubai attracts, sadly.
Anyway, good Chrimbo? I'm back at work today which blows but it had to happen sooner or later.

UK quarantine is only 10 days now I think, even reduced by testing after 5 maybe. Still far from ideal and might be worth waiting for the vaccine? How do you get it in the States? Pay? Get offered?
As soon as that's done for you and the other half, you can get him on a flight quick sharp?

Merry Christmas

I'm also back at work, but only sitting here in my "home office" (son's bedroom). My org is out until after the New Year, so I'm getting ahead in an effort to impress. Christmas was ok - just me and OH here, and me making my best effort not to be a total downer but really missing the Little Lion. Still, there it is and others have it worse.

Still no idea how people will be called up for the vaccine here - there's no central registry, given private health care industry. I won't have any priority, but OH should - how he will get the call is totally up in the air, since it will no doubt be different in every county of every state. It will be distributed through major pharmacy chains so easy enough to get it once it's the right time. Allegedly it will be free.

First to travel will likely be just me on a quick trip to see my son and conceivably my org in London, depending on when and how things are with Covid. Aer Lingus hasn't coughed up for the vouchers for the cancelled Xmas flights yet, that's probably months away. Flights between the UK and the US are still completely messed up, and anyone who has been to the UK is still blocked from returning but I can't really go anywhere until vaccinated anyway.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm also back at work, but only sitting here in my "home office" (son's bedroom). My org is out until after the New Year, so I'm getting ahead in an effort to impress. Christmas was ok - just me and OH here, and me making my best effort not to be a total downer but really missing the Little Lion. Still, there it is and others have it worse.

Still no idea how people will be called up for the vaccine here - there's no central registry, given private health care industry. I won't have any priority, but OH should - how he will get the call is totally up in the air, since it will no doubt be different in every county of every state. It will be distributed through major pharmacy chains so easy enough to get it once it's the right time. Allegedly it will be free.

First to travel will likely be just me on a quick trip to see my son and conceivably my org in London, depending on when and how things are with Covid. Aer Lingus hasn't coughed up for the vouchers for the cancelled Xmas flights yet, that's probably months away. Flights between the UK and the US are still completely messed up, and anyone who has been to the UK is still blocked from returning but I can't really go anywhere until vaccinated anyway.
It's starting to feel like the vaccine really will solve most problems. As soon as the top tiers of those at risk are 'done' it should mean the world can open up again.
You're right that others will always have it worse but doesn't make your situation less shit. I have my fingers crossed for you and him to get together safely and soon. If it helps I had to hand over copies of my documents to get my Saudi visa this week. When flights reopen to the Kingdom I'll probably have to spend a few weeks in the Middle Ages.

Just found out we can drive and get Sinopharm vaccine here, free, without appointment. Pfizer has been approved but is being rolled out, again - free of charge, to high priority people first, then not sure. I'd prefer the latter as I think it has a higher % but expect at some point the UAE will just demand you have one of them.

Try hammering the airline on Twitter or something. Can occasionally help.

A virtual Chrimbo hug coming your way.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's starting to feel like the vaccine really will solve most problems. As soon as the top tiers of those at risk are 'done' it should mean the world can open up again.
You're right that others will always have it worse but doesn't make your situation less shit. I have my fingers crossed for you and him to get together safely and soon. If it helps I had to hand over copies of my documents to get my Saudi visa this week. When flights reopen to the Kingdom I'll probably have to spend a few weeks in the Middle Ages.

Just found out we can drive and get Sinopharm vaccine here, free, without appointment. Pfizer has been approved but is being rolled out, again - free of charge, to high priority people first, then not sure. I'd prefer the latter as I think it has a higher % but expect at some point the UAE will just demand you have one of them.

Try hammering the airline on Twitter or something. Can occasionally help.

A virtual Chrimbo hug coming your way.

I feel your pain on the docs. I have negotiated a number of things with Mexican authorities, and it was like being permanently stuck in a Kafka novel especially since I refused to bribe people. One of my favourites was the "name your own fine" episode at a local city hall - I had a ticket issued due to driving on the wrong street with a double rear axle. Another good one was the visa extension conversation in Mexico City, and I once had to change travellers cheques (don't ask) in a small Mexican town, which involved getting the bank manager out of his house where he'd gone for lunch.

I would get any and all vaccines going. More protection is good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.