Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:11 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Our original BBQ - propane - from my in-laws frightened me. To the point I left it to others.

We bought an electric one later thinking it would be easier. It was but it was also not very good. It would get up to temperature, the lid was opened to put the food on and then closed. In that short time the temperature fell so much it took a long time to cook.

So we gave up on the steak and decided it might do for burgers. It did but no better than ordinary grilling inside. That was about three years ago and it's not been used since.
Ah - thanks for that!
Old Sep 27th 2019, 5:35 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Lady Hale pulled pints? She’s all the stronger for it

Playing catch-up on media stuff following a self-imposed blackout since Saturday last, this article in the Guardian had me grinning, especially with the nod to the Daily Mail.

Truly, we must applaud this mighty organ’s dogged commitment to truth and scrutiny.
A nice way to end my weird week.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 5:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post

Lady Hale pulled pints? She’s all the stronger for it

Playing catch-up on media stuff following a self-imposed blackout since Saturday last, this article in the Guardian had me grinning, especially with the nod to the Daily Mail.

A nice way to end my weird week.

Speaking as someone whose first job was behind the bar, nice.

PS: Do NOT ask me to pour a White Shield or make a Pimm's on a busy night.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 5:17 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Speaking as someone whose first job was behind the bar, nice.

PS: Do NOT ask me to pour a White Shield or make a Pimm's on a busy night.
... Wassa White Shield then? I ask as a dour, solemn, no-laughter, no sense of humour TT'er
Old Sep 29th 2019, 2:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... Wassa White Shield then? I ask as a dour, solemn, no-laughter, no sense of humour TT'er

It's a beer that throws a sediment, so you have to pour it into the glass very slowly and carefully so that the dregs get left behind in the bottle, but without leaving too much beer in the bottle either so the customer doesn't complain.

If you don't do it right, you get cloudy, bitter beer as whoever poured the one in the pic seems to have done.

Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:44 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

It's a beer that throws a sediment, so you have to pour it into the glass very slowly and carefully so that the dregs get left behind in the bottle, but without leaving too much beer in the bottle either so the customer doesn't complain.

If you don't do it right, you get cloudy, bitter beer as whoever poured the one in the pic seems to have done.

.... ... People actually drink that.... What their body has to put up with. 'cuse me while I sip water.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
.... ... People actually drink that.... What their body has to put up with. 'cuse me while I sip water.
Well no, in my pub that would have been sent back. People used to hold the glass up to the light to see if you had poured them any dregs. A cloudy glass like that would never have made it off the bar.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:31 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Well no, in my pub that would have been sent back. People used to hold the glass up to the light to see if you had poured them any dregs. A cloudy glass like that would never have made it off the bar.
Likewise. I always used to ask "would you like to pour it yourself, or will you leave it to me?"
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:49 pm

Likewise. I always used to ask "would you like to pour it yourself, or will you leave it to me?"

Ever go to the Scarsdale Tavern in London?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:11 pm
BEfuddled

Ever go to the Scarsdale Tavern in London?
Don't think so, but might have strayed I rarely got south of Goldhawk Road.

In that stretch I was in a flat on Bloemfontein Road in the Bush, work was north of the A40, favourite watering hole was the Frog and Firkin. There were a couple of places on Uxbridge Road that served the purpose in easy walking distance from the flat.

My second stint in London I was in Kennington (spitting distance from the Oval) loads of fine hostelries thereabouts.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:24 pm

Don't think so, but might have strayed I rarely got south of Goldhawk Road.

In that stretch I was in a flat on Bloemfontein Road in the Bush, work was north of the A40, favourite watering hole was the Frog and Firkin. There were a couple of places on Uxbridge Road that served the purpose in easy walking distance from the flat.

My second stint in London I was in Kennington (spitting distance from the Oval) loads of fine hostelries thereabouts.
I lived in the Bush for a little bit, in a bedsit off the Goldhawk Road. At the time, it was, well, "unimproved" and you also really needed a QPR scarf in order to safely go to the pub.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 5:10 pm
BEfuddled

I lived in the Bush for a little bit, in a bedsit off the Goldhawk Road. At the time, it was, well, "unimproved" and you also really needed a QPR scarf in order to safely go to the pub.
OMG !!! You worked bar up there? I would never have had the mettle for that, my only experiences in that neck of the woods were purely as a punter.

My barman days were two stints, years apart, in two different pubs in my cosy Buckinghamshire home village. Even after moving to Geneva I used to help out over the weekend a couple of times a year when back on visits.

I did one evening as a stand-in barman in a Frankfurt bar (Sachsenhausen) but that was a Brit pub, so I got off lightly.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:22 pm

OMG !!! You worked bar up there? I would never have had the mettle for that, my only experiences in that neck of the woods were purely as a punter.

My barman days were two stints, years apart, in two different pubs in my cosy Buckinghamshire home village. Even after moving to Geneva I used to help out over the weekend a couple of times a year when back on visits.

I did one evening as a stand-in barman in a Frankfurt bar (Sachsenhausen) but that was a Brit pub, so I got off lightly.
No, my working pub was in Kensington, but my drinking pubs were in the area.Might have been the Crown and Sceptre I went to? It absolutely was not a "gastro pub" then. I did interview in one once, but the landlord wouldn't hire me - he said he would have to send me home in a taxi every night for my own safety. I didn't live there very long - moved to Pimlico.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:49 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Appointment next Monday for blood results.
I'm trying not to stress but it's pretty hard right now with so much going on at work, tropical storms and feeling like crap most days but being positive I have to say M makes my life a lot easier now he is retired. He makes breakfast while I'm getting ready for work, he has supper ready when I get home and most of the laundry and housework is out of the way so I can have a quiet weekend.

Oh, and thanks for asking.
We've been away .
Catching up now. I hope those blood tests came back good.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 1:08 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Not long back from theatre and my second epidural. Right now I'm not even thinking about whether or not the steroids will work, the anesthetic will last around 24 hours and I'm feeling no pain for the first time in ages. Celebrated with a bag of Twisties, a small chocolate bar and a mug of coffee. Heaven
We've been away so I am catching up.
I really hope you are doing well .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.