Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Hoping this will give you a smile, a little boy telling his dog Maggie that he's walking. My daughter sent it to me a few minutes ago and I haven't stopped crying since, because it reminds me so much of her when she was this age. I'm not usually a crier, I think I'm just a silly old woman who bottles things up and saves them all for one big howl. Anyway, he's such a dear little boy and the very short video's too precious not to share.

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I had a chuckle at my own expense today. Had some fasting blood tests done which only required me to fast after last night's dinner, and I don't eat after that anyway. But by the time I'd finished the tests at 8am I'd convinced myself that I was dying of hunger, not to mention lack of caffeine. In grave danger of passing out, I just made it to the local bakery for a bacon roll and a coffee, but I can tell you it was touch and go Heaven help me if ever really had to go with without!
I had to go for several hours' worth of glucose tests and a few others too. There's a wonderful cafe right underneath my path lab and I'd just ordered my coffee and parmesan scrambled eggs when my phone went - they'd missed a test, could I go back? It was a tough decision.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
I had to go for several hours' worth of glucose tests and a few others too. There's a wonderful cafe right underneath my path lab and I'd just ordered my coffee and parmesan scrambled eggs when my phone went - they'd missed a test, could I go back? It was a tough decision.
So what did you decide?

In a weird example of life imitating forums (I just made that up), my fasting bloods showed that I have diabetes. I'll have to have a wholemeal roll with a raw carrot filling next time
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So what did you decide?

In a weird example of life imitating forums (I just made that up), my fasting bloods showed that I have diabetes. I'll have to have a wholemeal roll with a raw carrot filling next time
Asked them to hold the coffee, slow down on the eggs, and ran back upstairs. Damn those eggs (that I'm not supposed to eat, almost wholly intolerant to eggs - oh and dairy) were good.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:03 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
Asked them to hold the coffee, slow down on the eggs, and ran back upstairs. Damn those eggs (that I'm not supposed to eat, almost wholly intolerant to eggs - oh and dairy) were good.
Forbidden fruit (eggs) tastes best.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So what did you decide?

Gah! Type II? Diet and exercise should work wonders on that. Vanilla slices not so much, sadly.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Gah! Type II? Diet and exercise should work wonders on that. Vanilla slices not so much, sadly.
Yes, type 2. I'm fine with no cake or bickies but I'm going to miss my frequently chomped vintage cheddar. I refuse to buy low fat cheese because there's no such thing, only low fat plastic. Been going pretty well on the pool walking lark, I'm up to 10km a week. Need to add some weight bearing exercise though, which just equates to boring hard slog
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, type 2. I'm fine with no cake or bickies but I'm going to miss my frequently chomped vintage cheddar. I refuse to buy low fat cheese because there's no such thing, only low fat plastic. Been going pretty well on the pool walking lark, I'm up to 10km a week. Need to add some weight bearing exercise though, which just equates to boring hard slog

Why aren't you allowed cheddar? I thought it was just carby sugary stuff that was a problem.

Or is it just for a weight-loss phase?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Why aren't you allowed cheddar? I thought it was just carby sugary stuff that was a problem.

Or is it just for a weight-loss phase?
It's high in saturated fat, which apparently should be limited as it can increase levels of LDL (the 'bad' cholesterol), which in turn increases risk of cardiovascular disease and people with diabetes are already at higher risk. Or something like that! Plus it's high in sodium and yes, not that good for someone wanting to lose weight. I'll still have a bit now and then but I'll cut it paper thin instead of having chunks.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:44 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

It's high in saturated fat, which apparently should be limited as it can increase levels of LDL (the 'bad' cholesterol), which in turn increases risk of cardiovascular disease and people with diabetes are already at higher risk. Or something like that! Plus it's high in sodium and yes, not that good for someone wanting to lose weight. I'll still have a bit now and then but I'll cut it paper thin instead of having chunks.
Aargh! I can't imagine life without good cheese and a proper mature sharp cheddar is certainly that. My downfall is almost always the savoury snacks rather than the sweet. Good luck with the weight loss and increased fitness, hope that you can control the diabetes with diet changes.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
My downfall is almost always the savoury snacks rather than the sweet.
Now I want to try making some cheese and onion pasties... the peer pressure is incredible around here!

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Now I want to try making some cheese and onion pasties... the peer pressure is incredible around here!
Mrs. N. Cheese Pasty.

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:07 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Mrs. N. Cheese Pasty.

Oh my god. I need that, with a bit of pickle.

I'm really dairy intolerant. When I was first diagnosed with a load of health problems in 2005, I went completely neurotic and did exactly as I was told. Then I realised how miserable I was. Life without cheese is no life at all.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:09 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. N. Cheese Pasty.

That looks really good. I also love the butter lurking temptingly in the background. When you have cheese and butter, you can never go wrong.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:10 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. N. Cheese Pasty.

That looks amazing. Something I must try making soon, I love cheese and onion pasties, pies, slices.....

Does Mrs N make her own pastry for them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.