Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Mar 20th 2019, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
...3 parts aggregate
And away goals counting double.

Old Mar 20th 2019, 1:39 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Following on (sort of) from https://britishexpats.com/forum/take.../#post12656792

Old Mar 20th 2019, 2:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post

I've always been suspicious of broccoli.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 2:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
And away goals counting double.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:02 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
... and all like-minded vegetables!!

But you've got to love Dilbert - he seemed like the beating heart of my office back in the day - a blast from the past (reference to Y2K might give that away!!)

and my digital alter-ego

Last edited by macliam; Mar 20th 2019 at 6:12 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my GP today, for a "chat" about my latest blood test results and cholesterol levels. After a massive spike in my TSH levels early last year, I was expecting a bit of a row as I'd rejected a knee-jerk prescription of levothyroxine..... BUT, he immediately brought up the results for the TSH and although it is still slightly higher than "normal" it has dropped yet more that the dramatic drop seen at the end of last year. So he said he wasn't going to recommend anything now, but that we'd continue monitoring. Yay!! Music to my ears!!

Then the cholesterol. It still showed slightly raised, but, when run though the "software" and compared with my age and history, it suggested a 24% chance of an issue in the next 10 years - and that with no change except increasing age, this risk would increase year on year .....BUT (again) big change, he actually discussed this with me - and said the "optimum" to him would be to get it down to around 20% and that could be done easily with Atorvastatin and that was the approach he'd take for himself..... but we'd keep monitoring that at the same time. The kisser was when he said "We used to use 20% as the baseline, but then they dropped it to 10%, which means almost everybody over age 60 would be on statins - and to me, that sounds more like "big pharma" talking rather than a basis for treatment!"

So, win one, lose one, but keeping up the monitoring - I can live with that (hopefully )
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:35 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, too right. Have you noticed .. It sort of sits there on your plate all pale green & white bits, silent and wet... while it steams...
Never turn your back on Broccoli
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I went to my GP today, for a "chat" about my latest blood test results and cholesterol levels. After a massive spike in my TSH levels early last year, I was expecting a bit of a row as I'd rejected a knee-jerk prescription of levothyroxine..... BUT, he immediately brought up the results for the TSH and although it is still slightly higher than "normal" it has dropped yet more that the dramatic drop seen at the end of last year. So he said he wasn't going to recommend anything now, but that we'd continue monitoring. Yay!! Music to my ears!!

Then the cholesterol. It still showed slightly raised, but, when run though the "software" and compared with my age and history, it suggested a 24% chance of an issue in the next 10 years - and that with no change except increasing age, this risk would increase year on year .....BUT (again) big change, he actually discussed this with me - and said the "optimum" to him would be to get it down to around 20% and that could be done easily with Atorvastatin and that was the approach he'd take for himself..... but we'd keep monitoring that at the same time. The kisser was when he said "We used to use 20% as the baseline, but then they dropped it to 10%, which means almost everybody over age 60 would be on statins - and to me, that sounds more like "big pharma" talking rather than a basis for treatment!"

So, win one, lose one, but keeping up the monitoring - I can live with that (hopefully )
That's not too bad. Also, um, exercise if you can. Going for walks is just fine.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
... and all like-minded vegetables!!

But you've got to love Dilbert - he seemed like the beating heart of my office back in the day - a blast from the past (reference to Y2K might give that away!!)

and my digital alter-ego

Dilbert knows all offices. They are all like that.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Yeah, too right. Have you noticed .. It sort of sits there on your plate all pale green & white bits, silent and wet... while it steams...
Never turn your back on Broccoli

It knows things. I'm sure it does.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:07 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Dilbert knows all offices. They are all like that.
Yep.. This is mine..

Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:08 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hoo boy - do yourselves a favor and don't Google the artist
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Hoo boy - do yourselves a favor and don't Google the artist
That's... unfortunate.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:13 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
That's... unfortunate.
Just don't shoot the messenger. It's all recent as well, so it doesn't really affect the earlier comics that are being referenced.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:15 pm
Resident Cynic

That's not too bad. Also, um, exercise if you can. Going for walks is just fine.
My dogs insist on that in Portugal...... but it's less enjoyable back in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.