Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:02 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Indeed - nothing wrong in all the other benefits of exercise, but as you are aware, it's not really the solution to obesity.

I lost 28 lbs in a month once a few years ago (that was a lot of exercise!), but the reality is that normal levels of exercise tend to "work up an appetite" and have you eating more, or end up with you reducing activity throughout the rest of the day and normalising the calorific output.

In the absence of addressing the root psychological cause, I found the Good Calories Bad Calories book by Taubes one of the most interesting. It's not a diet book.
I have found out by trial and error that its better for me to simply count calories, rather than trying a diet like low carb or whatever. So I can have the occasional bar of chocolate as long as I understand that I might have to have a bit less for dinner or something. I'm trying to manage a deficit of 500-1,000 calories a day to aim for 1-2lb a week loss, so sometimes the extra 4-600 calories I'll burn running might also help me 'cheat' a bit here and there as well. Drinking lots of water seems to help too, but in general times in the past where I've tried to fully eliminate certain things just ends up with me falling off the wagon hard and going way overboard on bad things.

Slow and steady wins the race, etc. But realistically I have until July to drop about 25 lbs max to be at 199 at my next appointment, at which point I will have passed from 'obese' to simply 'overweight' somewhere around 205-ish. Then it's another 35 to get to my goal weight of 165, which I could theoretically manage before the end of the year if I really stick to it.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:09 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I have found out by trial and error that its better for me to simply count calories, rather than trying a diet like low carb or whatever. So I can have the occasional bar of chocolate as long as I understand that I might have to have a bit less for dinner or something. I'm trying to manage a deficit of 500-1,000 calories a day to aim for 1-2lb a week loss, so sometimes the extra 4-600 calories I'll burn running might also help me 'cheat' a bit here and there as well. Drinking lots of water seems to help too, but in general times in the past where I've tried to fully eliminate certain things just ends up with me falling off the wagon hard and going way overboard on bad things.

Slow and steady wins the race, etc. But realistically I have until July to drop about 25 lbs max to be at 199 at my next appointment, at which point I will have passed from 'obese' to simply 'overweight' somewhere around 205-ish. Then it's another 35 to get to my goal weight of 165, which I could theoretically manage before the end of the year if I really stick to it.
Completely agree, hitting the magic "1" would be a great achievement - when was the last time you saw that on the scales?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:11 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree, hitting the magic "1" would be a great achievement - when was the last time you saw that on the scales?

Though technically, it was 13 odd stone, and not 1xx lbs, since I wasn't in America then.

The best I've managed here was about 205. Once shortly after I moved out and then again in '16 when I started getting serious about losing weight again.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 6:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Though technically, it was 13 odd stone, and not 1xx lbs, since I wasn't in America then.

The best I've managed here was about 205. Once shortly after I moved out and then again in '16 when I started getting serious about losing weight again.
I haven't seen the magic "1" since the early 90's.

After thyroid cancer I put on 45 lbs in 4 months!
Old Mar 18th 2019, 6:10 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way is several sessions on the rack! I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:04 pm
Doin' It Right

Sorry to hear that. That's got to put a strain on your metabolism as well, which makes it harder still to manage.

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The easiest way is several sessions on the rack! I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.
Yeah, there you go. Just stretch myself 6" and I'm at the perfect weight.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:10 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

One thing we have in common then - we both beat the bitch, though mine was sigmoid.

After my op, they told me to watch out for any wait loss - and I watched out so well that I put on 7 kilos
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:15 pm
Democracy advocate

One thing we have in common then - we both beat the bitch, though mine was sigmoid.

After my op, they told me to watch out for any wait loss - and I watched out so well that I put on 7 kilos
A successful recuperation then
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I wish motivation came in a bottle.

Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to have turned into some sort of bodybuilding group in here

I got a rowing machine for home at the beginning of January. That has really helped, because it means I don't have to go anywhere else after a long day's work and it's much kinder on the knees than running, which is what I used to do back when.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:53 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It seems to have turned into some sort of bodybuilding group in here
Unless you can build a body with cake, you may be overstating it somewhat ...

I got a rowing machine for home at the beginning of January. That has really helped, because it means I don't have to go anywhere else after a long day's work and it's much kinder on the knees than running, which is what I used to do back when.
And you get the added benefit of the cat sitting there, silently judging you as you use it.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:00 pm
Resident Cynic

+1 - I'm not sure about the reference to "a long day's work"(sic) though....

Watching all three 6 nations games on Saturday, gave me my exercise for the week.
Ask SWMBO - she has filmed me dodging about in my chair whilst watching - she thinks it's funny, but not nearly as funny as the fact I was a hooker!!
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And you get the added benefit of the cat sitting there, silently judging you as you use it.
Nutek is best qualified to answer the cake question I think. The cat actually hates the machine. He's decided that it's the Loch Ness Monster (there is a certain resemblance) and won't have anything to do with it. He just shoots me a horrified look and runs away to eat cat food and sleep.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:07 pm

Watching all three 6 nations games on Saturday, gave me my exercise for the week.
Ask SWMBO - she has filmed me dodging about in my chair whilst watching - she thinks it's funny, but not nearly as funny as the fact I was a hooker!!
You lot should have beaten Wales for the sake of the English

Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:08 pm
Doin' It Right

Anything involving work makes for a long day, mate.

I was playing footie on Saturday morning, and that was a workout. Kicked my bloody arse, but at least I got one goal.

Nutek is best qualified to answer the cake question I think. The cat actually hates the machine. He's decided that it's the Loch Ness Monster (there is a certain resemblance) and won't have anything to do with it. He just shoots me a horrified look and runs away to eat cat food and sleep.
At least he's sticking to what he's best at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.