Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Which is why I only frequented Fullers pubs, or Free Houses that had London Pride.
That might be why I didn't run into that issue - basically all pubs in NI were free houses I think. They all had Guinness, but some would have Harp, Smithwicks, Carlsberg and Strongbow on tap and others would have Tennent's, Bass, Tuborg and Blackthorn on tap. Some even rarer would have them all. (Budweiser entered on the Harp side, and Miller on the Tennent's side at one point as well).
Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Which is why I only frequented Fullers pubs, or Free Houses that had London Pride.
Watneys got ESB, which was ok but very hangovery.

The local where I lived served Worthington E, ffs. Barely deserved the name of beer, but we drank it anyway. It tasted mostly of soap.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started visiting Liverpool around 10 years ago, a pint of Foster's lager* was £1.80 - £2.20. This year the lowest price I saw was £3.45, although some pubs had 'happy hours' etc. Paying £6 a pint in London was cheap earlier this year, I seem to remember that £8 was more the go!
*I wouldn't even wash my socks in the Foster's you get in Australia, vile stuff, but it's lovely in the UK. It's really popular so always fresh, and the bubbles last until the last drop
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cigarettes in Oz are now $40 - $45 per pack! Not carton - pack of 30.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post

Who actually still smokes at those prices?
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:19 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Who actually still smokes at those prices?
Nicotine addicts.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started visiting Liverpool around 10 years ago, a pint of Foster's lager* was £1.80 - £2.20. This year the lowest price I saw was £3.45, although some pubs had 'happy hours' etc. Paying £6 a pint in London was cheap earlier this year, I seem to remember that £8 was more the go!
*I wouldn't even wash my socks in the Foster's you get in Australia, vile stuff, but it's lovely in the UK. It's really popular so always fresh, and the bubbles last until the last drop
I always drank either Fosters of Stella when I was on the mainland (mostly because the Guinness sucked over there at the time ) and it was always good shit.

Holy shit, adjusted to GBP, and to a pack of 20, that's £16.25 a pack
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:08 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

About time too! https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/46553824
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:35 pm

Nicotine addicts.

Nicotine is a rubbish drug. All it does is temporarily stop you from wanting more nicotine.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How do you think I feel? I remember being shocked when the price broke the pound barrier.
Funny thing. 12p a pint when I started and I remember it being just over 60p. Amounts over that didn't really register. I was never aware of thinking "soon be a quid" but I do remember the £2 mark, mainly because that was Ruddles which was a bit more than the other beer in that particular pub.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Funny thing. 12p a pint when I started and I remember it being just over 60p. Amounts over that didn't really register. I was never aware of thinking "soon be a quid" but I do remember the £2 mark, mainly because that was Ruddles which was a bit more than the other beer in that particular pub.
Surely it would have been half a crown back then?
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Surely it would have been half a crown back then?
Funnily enough it was The Crown pub
Old Dec 13th 2018, 9:06 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I remember when petrol broke through the £1/gallon barrier. All of the petrol stations had to upgrade their pumps to cope. It was the catalyst for the move to pricing in litres.
DON'T!! - I remember pulling into the petrol station on the way to college and they wanted 7s2d a gallon for 4-star...... that's almost 30 bob a tankful! I seriously thought the world would end...... .......
my steed:

.......except mine was a last-year 1966 model (FEL 351 D, bought 5 years old for £90 - after a year of saving!!) and kitted out with a reverse-mega silencer, alloy guards and a Cibie 7" headlight in a chrome shell.
"Lightweight" - joke. I dropped it once on a rainy street and it took 3 people to get it off me (maybe that's why I still remember the registration number!!!)
PS - notice the length of the kick-start - it was a single cylinder, 10.5:1 compression and, if it kicked back, you understood why they called it the "catapault"!!!

Last edited by macliam; Dec 13th 2018 at 9:11 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:47 pm
Oscar nominated

This is worth posting twice.

My stepdaughter (age 28) bought my mother in law a small record player today and tonight she was setting up to play a Bing Crosby xmas LP.

Everything was ready and she was about to set the stylus down.

In the middle.

I had a giggle as I told her it had to go at the outside edge.

Part way through she had a question.

Are there songs on the other side?

Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:55 pm
Concierge

Nicotine is a rubbish drug. All it does is temporarily stop you from wanting more nicotine.
Yep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.