Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 9th 2018, 8:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Hence the problem of our fossil fuel dependency. It's hugely destructive in all sorts of ways with no good solution other than "stop".
We are stopping, but no need to waste it and create danger whilst we do.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 8:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
We are stopping, but no need to waste it and create danger whilst we do.
We aren't stopping very much, tbh. Not nearly enough, and not nearly fast enough.

And pipelines create both wastage and danger. They all leak. All the time.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 9:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't stopping very much, tbh. Not nearly enough, and not nearly fast enough.

And pipelines create both wastage and danger. They all leak. All the time.
Wrong thread for this I think.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 9:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 9th 2018, 9:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Wrong thread for this I think.
It is.

The unending argument thread is over there, behind the yellow incident tape.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 12:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Been smiling since Wednesday, when our shipping container finally arrived. I didn't even mind unpacking 113 boxes and packages while Scouse foofed around getting the TV tuned in

After 6 months of rentals in the UK, crashing at family's places here, and then sleeping on a rented bed because ours was stuck somewhere on the high seas, I am so happy to have my lovely things around me now. My bed, oh my beautiful bed, how I love thee
Old Nov 11th 2018, 2:50 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

On this Remembrance Sunday morning I took my dogs for a walk through the hills in the Alentejo.

Suddenly, clear as a bell, I heard a bugle playing the Last Post - it sounded "live", not a recording and stopped me in my tracks.

It reminded me first of my Uncle who volunteered in 1939 and, as a motor mechanic, was sent to India to train the Royal Indian Engineers, spent 6 years there, left a part of his soul in the subcontinent and never forgot his experiences. We played the Last Post at is funeral, when he died, aged 90.

Then it reminded me of my Grandfather, who volunteered in 1914 and survived gas and disease to return and fight in a Civil War at home.

My thoughts are with them and all those, of all nations, who had the courage to fight for their beliefs and for their comrades.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam uasal
Old Nov 11th 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
On this Remembrance Sunday morning I took my dogs for a walk through the hills in the Alentejo.

Suddenly, clear as a bell, I heard a bugle playing the Last Post - it sounded "live", not a recording and stopped me in my tracks.

It reminded me first of my Uncle who volunteered in 1939 and, as a motor mechanic, was sent to India to train the Royal Indian Engineers, spent 6 years there, left a part of his soul in the subcontinent and never forgot his experiences. We played the Last Post at is funeral, when he died, aged 90.

Then it reminded me of my Grandfather, who volunteered in 1914 and survived gas and disease to return and fight in a Civil War at home.

My thoughts are with them and all those, of all nations, who had the courage to fight for their beliefs and for their comrades.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam uasal
Nice. Did you ever find the bugler?
Old Nov 11th 2018, 3:47 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. Did you ever find the bugler?
No - and the weird thing is that I know of only 2 expats in that area, neither of whom strike me as likely to observe Remembrance, let alone play a bugle!

One of life's mysteries for now..........
Old Nov 11th 2018, 5:01 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Been smiling since Wednesday, when our shipping container finally arrived. I didn't even mind unpacking 113 boxes and packages while Scouse foofed around getting the TV tuned in

After 6 months of rentals in the UK, crashing at family's places here, and then sleeping on a rented bed because ours was stuck somewhere on the high seas, I am so happy to have my lovely things around me now. My bed, oh my beautiful bed, how I love thee
TV tuning is serious stuff... yes, it is.

Good on you for getting the bed. Was it the whole bed? Was there maybe an extra half-bed included - our missing half never turned up. No great shakes, as IKEA queen has that sorted.

We did however forget to take the 'on loan' bed feet with us when we went back to order even more stuff from our (ok, my) preferred supplier last Friday.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:29 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
...when the vehicle registration is approved they send the rear plate, invoice and another bit of paper to one's home address, one then orders the front plate from a supplier of one's choice, again to home address, then one goes to garage with plates...
But only in some cases apparently... insurance approved, the agent ordered the rear plate to be sent directly to the garage, who have their own front plate stamping facility.

Done and dusted, I get my mitts on the new beast on Wednesday afternoon.

The 'old girl' is currently being prepped to be gifted to a brother of a friend back in CH, so that'll just be another 900km off my life. I hope to sort the last two missing CH exit jigsaw pieces on that trip.

Assuming that I get the desired result, I'll treat myself by coming home by train, I'm getting more and more hacked off with air travel.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:10 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

But only in some cases apparently... insurance approved, the agent ordered the rear plate to be sent directly to the garage, who have their own front plate stamping facility.

Done and dusted, I get my mitts on the new beast on Wednesday afternoon.

The 'old girl' is currently being prepped to be gifted to a brother of a friend back in CH, so that'll just be another 900km off my life. I hope to sort the last two missing CH exit jigsaw pieces on that trip.

Assuming that I get the desired result, I'll treat myself by coming home by train, I'm getting more and more hacked off with air travel.
I could have offered you 1 of my brothers ... just around the corner and they would have brought you back home
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:14 pm
BEfuddled

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I could have offered you 1 of my brothers ... just around the corner and they would have brought you back home
Very kind offer, thank you.

Next time maybe?
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:16 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Very kind offer, thank you.

Next time maybe?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Not matter where there from , what the colour off there skin is , what language they speak , there just children, who's parents relocated with them in search off a better life !
Well Done CANADA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.