Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
They are finding it where I am. I have to find a new GP, because the one I have (who is on my insurance list of providers) has introduced a new "VIP service". You pay a premium, direct to her, on top of the insurance payments, for the "privilege" of a shorter wait time for appointments and for longer appointments so you actually have time to talk to the doctor.

Yeah. No. Finding another doctor.

It isn't just her by the way - it's an actual business model being introduced by a third party who runs it for the doctors.
That tale of your doctor made me cringe.
My doctor's brilliant, only downside being the interminable wait on arrival, even with an appointment. Perhaps a victim of his own popularity. I once asked for the first appointment slot in the morning, at 9:00. He arrived at 9:45, and apologised - which I appreciated. From years of experience I always now arrive about 30min after the appointment time, knowing that then I'll only have a wait of about 30-45 mins. But once in to see him, any examination is first class, with no time spared to explain all medical matters in great detail - then as he's a great rugby fan - to go into detail about a recent French rugby win or defeat - usually the latter. And I never miss the opportunity to wind him up whenever France gets thrashed by England or another in the 5 nations tournement. Always an enjoyable visit, despite the circumstances.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 30th 2018 at 10:21 am.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 12:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's a load of crap right there.

The phrase 'business model' (utter cringe by itself) has no place anywhere near a doctors' office. Don't want to create the illusion that doctors are all about treating illness though, I suppose.
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Great idea! Just like asking you to pay extra to avoid the queues at airport security that they caused in the first place...... or to get "priority boarding" on flights where the seats have already been allocated.......

But stupid issues arise in the best of systems. Earlier this year a general blood test indicated an underactive thyroid for the first time ever and my GP was ready to prescribe thyroxin rather than ask for a repeat test "because you've had one this quarter". 3 months later, a test showed my thyroxin levels to be near normal......
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
That tale of your doctor made me cringe.
My doctor's brilliant, only downside being the interminable wait on arrival, even with an appointment. Perhaps a victim of his own popularity. I once asked for the first appointment slot in the morning, at 9:00. He arrived at 9:45, and apologised - which I appreciated. From years of experience I always now arrive about 30min after the appointment time, knowing that then I'll only have a wait of about 30-45 mins. But once in to see him, any examination is first class, with no time spared to explain all medical matters in great detail - then as he's a great rugby fan - to go into detail about a recent French rugby win or defeat - usually the latter. And I never miss the opportunity to wind him up whenever France gets thrashed by England or another in the 5 nations tournement. Always an enjoyable visit, despite the circumstances.
This is why it's called "the health care industry" here. It's a profit-making business for all concerned - except the patient.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 3:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

This is why it's called "the health care industry" here. It's a profit-making business for all concerned - except the patient.
It always was....... remember, in the UK most doctors resisted the creation of the NHS and GP partnerships, dentists and consultants are still private companies funded by the NHS. That's why it's difficult to defend against creeping privatisation of the NHS, because some private enterprise is an integral part of the system.....
Old Oct 30th 2018, 4:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It always was....... remember, in the UK most doctors resisted the creation of the NHS and GP partnerships, dentists and consultants are still private companies funded by the NHS. That's why it's difficult to defend against creeping privatisation of the NHS, because some private enterprise is an integral part of the system.....
The foundational principles are still different, however, in particular that of universal access and not based on the ability to pay at the point of delivery. There really is nothing like taking your child to hospital with a concussion and/or dislocated shoulder (my experiences) and the first questions are not about his injury but about my credit card. Kind of sets the tone, you know?
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:01 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The foundational principles are still different, however, in particular that of universal access and not based on the ability to pay at the point of delivery. There really is nothing like taking your child to hospital with a concussion and/or dislocated shoulder (my experiences) and the first questions are not about his injury but about my credit card. Kind of sets the tone, you know?
Agreed, but there are those here who'd like to see you prove your residency instead........
Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:48 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

From Sis-in-law...

When one gets old, three things happen.

First, your memory goes.

And the other two escape me for the moment...
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:22 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
From Sis-in-law...

When one gets old, three things happen.

First, your memory goes.

And the other two escape me for the moment...
........ and there are three types of people in the world
Those who can count
and those who can't.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I smile every time I remember I'm not circumcised. Or Belgian.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
My colleague who got a new grandson on Sunday, announced this morning that the baby was circumcised yesterday. He seemed genuinely surprised when I asked why. He said 'it's just what we do.' When I asked why again, he clammed up and said we shouldn't be discussing that sort of thing.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 11:04 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I'm not circumcised, nor Belgian - yet - 4 years 10 months to go.

Not for the circumcision, obviously.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm not circumcised, nor Belgian - yet - 4 years 10 months to go.

Not for the circumcision, obviously.
I had to assist with many newborn circumcision procedures when I worked for a pediatrician. It was probably the most traumatic and unnecessary minor surgeries I have ever seen. I would seriously be in tears when it was over and the most annoying part was the newborns dad's. They were the ones wanting it performed but they were also the ones not wanting to be in the surgery room to help with the baby because it was too upsetting!

It is barbaric, in my opinion. If there is no medical reason for this procedure then it shouldn't be done.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 9:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
It is barbaric, in my opinion. If there is no medical reason for this procedure then it shouldn't be done.
Totally barbaric. People are (understandably and correctly) totally against female circumcision yet they have no problem unnecessarily chopping of a piece of little Jimmy's penis. Unfathomable.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:06 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Totally barbaric. People are (understandably and correctly) totally against female circumcision yet they have no problem unnecessarily chopping of a piece of little Jimmy's penis. Unfathomable.
We must all abide by the laws of the desert tribes....... or maybe not.
Supposedly about 33% of males worldwide are circumcised and 2/3 of those are Muslims, so discounting Jewish males and those few circumcised for medical reasons, a tiny minority go "under the knife" for any other reason. The USA is an anomaly in the Western World with almost 60% undergoing the operation for reasons that can only be classed as "cosmetic". Odd - most cosmetic surgery is elective, but this is one where the parents decide.
The very thought brings tears to my eyes.......
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We must all abide by the laws of the desert tribes....... or maybe not.
Supposedly about 33% of males worldwide are circumcised and 2/3 of those are Muslims, so discounting Jewish males and those few circumcised for medical reasons, a tiny minority go "under the knife" for any other reason. The USA is an anomaly in the Western World with almost 60% undergoing the operation for reasons that can only be classed as "cosmetic". Odd - most cosmetic surgery is elective, but this is one where the parents decide.
The very thought brings tears to my eyes.......
And even odder is insurance companies usually cover this procedure without any problems of proving it is medically necessary.

Anyway, this is what made you smile. I guess we need to change the conversation...
Old Nov 1st 2018, 1:20 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
And even odder is insurance companies usually cover this procedure without any problems of proving it is medically necessary.
Anyway, this is what made you smile. I guess we need to change the conversation...
Bullseye !!! - The filthy lucre is always, and solely, British Insurers' interest in anything like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.