Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Surprised you got the visa to live in the UK with all that criminality going on.
The Home Office didn't care because I'd be living in the Northwest. You know how they ignore anywhere north of Oxford
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The Home Office didn't care because I'd be living in the Northwest. You know how they ignore anywhere north of Oxford
True that.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

It's very easy in my neck of the woods! Infringement notices (with fines attached) are issued by the police, local government authorities, government authorities such as public transport, and various others. You can get infringements for things like speeding, illegal parking, not registering your car, littering or failing to have safety equipment on a boat. You probably get one for picking your nose in public as well. If you don't pay the fine, your licence is suspended and you can't drive.
When travelling to work on public transport, I had to get a bus and then a train. I always bought a 'through' ticket on the bus. One day, I got a lift to the train station, and just jumped on the train as usual, forgetting that I hadn't been on the bus so didn't have a ticket. Of course, that was the day the ticket inspectors were out in force. It felt like everyone on the train was staring at me as I pulled out ticket after ticket from my bag, but of course not one for that day. So I got an infringement notice, moved house, forgot all about it - and thus embarked on a life of crime
When I was in the UK a neighbour put some grass-cuttings & weeds in the (then) newly issued blue wheely-bin meant for paper, cardboard etc. The dustman put a yellow tag on the non emptied receptacle....... Two days later he got a letter from the Head of Waste Management followed by a visit by one of his minions - the Dustbin Gestapo! Poor guy was almost offered community re-training over it !!
After that communal embarrassment his wife & two teenage daughters took over & supervised the weekly bin loading & Management.
I say nothing.......
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
When I was in the UK a neighbour put some grass-cuttings & weeds in the (then) newly issued blue wheely-bin meant for paper, cardboard etc. The dustman put a yellow tag on the non emptied receptacle....... Two days later he got a letter from the Head of Waste Management followed by a visit by one of his minions - the Dustbin Gestapo! Poor guy was almost offered community re-training over it !!
After that communal embarrassment his wife & two teenage daughters took over & supervised the weekly bin loading & Management.
I say nothing.......
A bit of embarrassment in exchange for never having to load the bins again. Sounds like a decent quid pro quo to me.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
I say nothing.......
Oh dear.......
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
A bit of embarrassment in exchange for never having to load the bins again. Sounds like a decent quid pro quo to me.
Oh dear.......
Oh no.... He didn't "Win", don't think that trade-off went overlooked - there were consequences.......
As I recall his was the first in the street to have raised decking with integral arbours, external lighting; barbucue station & ornamental fish pond. Laboured DIY for season after season....
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:32 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Surprised you got the visa to live in the UK with all that criminality going on.
I thought they just assumed everyone who had lived in Oz had a criminal record...
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:37 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
I thought they just assumed everyone who had lived in Oz had a criminal record...
Most of us probably have ancestors who were criminals - sent over from Blighty as convicts
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us probably have ancestors who were criminals - sent over from Blighty as convicts
Ahhhhhem NOT Adelaide matey... as they endlessly tell me when I visit my sister
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My Goldie Senga dog made me smile today.. At 5am she made me mad when she woke me up by shoving her nose under the mosquito net and into my face. She was very hot ,(as we all were .it being 30 deg.) I sleepily told her to go and get a drink from her bowl. and blow me but she did just that. I heard her padding upstairs ( we have an upside down house ,ideal in the heat,hence the reason she was allowed to share the bedroom,) noisily take a drink, pad downstairs again, and then SHOVE HER WET NOSE INTO MY FACE I had to laugh

Last edited by GeniB; Aug 21st 2018 at 3:32 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:34 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
My Goldie Senga dog made me smile today.. At 5am she made me mad when she woke me up by shoving her nose under the mosquito net and into my face. She was very hot ,(as we all were .it being 30 deg.) I sleepily told her to go and get a drink from her bowl. and blow me but she did just that. I heard her padding upstairs ( we have an upside down house ,ideal in the heat,hence the reason she was allowed to share the bedroom,) noisily take a drink, pad downstairs again, and then SHOVE HER WET NOSE INTO MY FACE I had to laugh
This, right here, is why I have cats
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:45 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
This, right here, is why I have cats
You might not like that, but at least dogs don't spend their entire life plotting to kill you.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:51 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You might not like that, but at least dogs don't spend their entire life plotting to kill you.
My cats would never kill me. I'm the one who feeds them
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:41 pm
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
My cats would never kill me. I'm the one who feeds them
The fact you think that feeding your cats is going to save you just shows your naivety.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:42 pm
Hail Satan!

The fact you think that feeding your cats is going to save you just shows your naivety.
I'm pretty sure if it came to it I could take my cats in a fight. Especially since one of them is 12, she's not exactly a threat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.