Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What? Do you have a private jet or something?
The order was a private jet
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:50 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Moved our younger son into his university dorm room today, 1800 miles SW from home. Elder son heads back to the UK 3455 miles across the Atlantic ocean to return to his uni next month. We are empty nesters! Also feel a bit wistful.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:02 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Moved our younger son into his university dorm room today, 1800 miles SW from home. Elder son heads back to the UK 3455 miles across the Atlantic ocean to return to his uni next month. We are empty nesters! Also feel a bit wistful.
Tentative congrats on your empty nest, but best of luck to both boys as well, of course.

I always realize when I see posts like this that my wife and I have never been in a situation when it was just us. My son was already six when I inherited him (he is now 20 and has plans to join the coastguard but has no immediate plan to move out ), then we had our daughter when he was 12. I hope she isn't sick of me by the time we are all by ourselves
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in the same boat in four short weeks. Portsmouth bound. I'm happy for him, and he has grown into a great young manboy, but I'm going to miss him terribly.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Tentative congrats on your empty nest, but best of luck to both boys as well, of course.

I always realize when I see posts like this that my wife and I have never been in a situation when it was just us. My son was already six when I inherited him (he is now 20 and has plans to join the coastguard but has no immediate plan to move out ), then we had our daughter when he was 12. I hope she isn't sick of me by the time we are all by ourselves
Save up some of your best jokes and stuff for later.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:40 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Save up some of your best jokes and stuff for later.
Wait, whose side are you on here - do you want her to kick me out?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:53 pm

Wait, whose side are you on here - do you want her to kick me out?

Hmm. Different tactic. A friend of my parents, on his silver wedding anniversary, said that the reason his wife had put up with him for so long was that because he traveled for business she had actually only had to live with him for half that amount of time.

So maybe a new job?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:42 pm
Doin' It Right

Hmm. Different tactic. A friend of my parents, on his silver wedding anniversary, said that the reason his wife had put up with him for so long was that because he traveled for business she had actually only had to live with him for half that amount of time.

So maybe a new job?

I think I'll take my chances. New job's out of the question. I hate interviews and job searching so I'm staying here until I'm 70 as long as they don't fire me.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:56 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I never realised that my parents actually missed me / us (I'm one of 5) until years after I'd left home. I couldn't wait to grow up and go away but it never struck me that the departure of their Favourite Son would leave them feeling totally and utterly bereft. Until they told me - although they did soften the blow by tactfully putting it slightly differently to that, of course. Poor Mum and Dad
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:03 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I never realised that my parents actually missed me / us (I'm one of 5) until years after I'd left home. I couldn't wait to grow up and go away but it never struck me that the departure of their Favourite Son would leave them feeling totally and utterly bereft. Until they told me - although they did soften the blow by tactfully putting it slightly differently to that, of course. Poor Mum and Dad
My sister was still living with my mum when I left home and moved here and my parents had been separated for 12 years before that but I'll never forget the faint hint of desperation in my dad's voice when he asked me why I couldn't have married someone who lived in Northern Ireland
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:16 pm

My sister was still living with my mum when I left home and moved here and my parents had been separated for 12 years before that but I'll never forget the faint hint of desperation in my dad's voice when he asked me why I couldn't have married someone who lived in Northern Ireland
You never know what your kids will do. Mine is off to uni in the UK and may stick there afterwards. I would really love to follow him. Doing my best on that. But when I do get there, there is always the possibility that he will fall in love with someone from Argentina.

Life is like that. I never really understood how my parents felt about me moving the US until I had a child.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:23 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...there is always the possibility that he will fall in love with someone from Argentina....
Looking potentially good on the wine front then
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:25 pm
Doin' It Right

You never know what your kids will do. Mine is off to uni in the UK and may stick there afterwards. I would really love to follow him. Doing my best on that. But when I do get there, there is always the possibility that he will fall in love with someone from Argentina.

Life is like that. I never really understood how my parents felt about me moving the US until I had a child.
I have no idea what might daughter will do but I can almost predict my son will have lots of big ideas but will have an above average chance of still living with us when he's 30
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Looking potentially good on the wine front then

And steak.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:43 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what might daughter will do but I can almost predict my son will have lots of big ideas but will have an above average chance of still living with us when he's 30
You can laugh... my eldest is 27 at the beginning of September and still has a year to do at the VERY LOCAL uni. He'll be the oldest engineering graduate the world has ever seen.
AND HE STILL LIVES AT HOME.
Mind you, so do the other two.
I laugh at people who complain about the cupboards being bare 2 hours after shopping.. here, food doesn't even make it into the cupboards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.