Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:11 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That man is a bloody national treasure.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
He ought to be maintained in perpetuity by the National Trust.
The Polar research vessel bearing his name was launched on Merseyside last Saturday.

I hope that the Beeb covers the first sea trials of Boaty McBoatface.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:15 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
The Polar research vessel bearing his name was launched on Merseyside last Saturday.

I hope that the Beeb covers the first sea trials of Boaty McBoatface.
I also hope the Beeb learned their lesson about allowing the public to help them come up with names for things
Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

After moaning about my journey earlier on our sister thread, I feel a lot better (a problem shared is a smile for someone else.... )

Went to my barber for a haircut ..... I dare not ask senhor Ricardo his age, but I think he bought his cast iron hydraulic chair new - from Noah! The haircut takes so long, it makes me feel like I have a full head of hair again and it's almost a relaxation session/massage. How many "tools" does your barber use? Ricardo has his corded trimmer, new-fangled cordless lightweights (2, in case the battery runs out), mechanical clippers, more scissors than I've ever seen and the trusty cut-throat...... and he manages to use all of them! A bargain at €7........ (with beer or glass of Tinto)!!

Today started overcast and cool, but by late afternoon it wasn't the weather for working. Cold fare this evening, just one of the neighbour's melons with presunto de porco preto, gambas with mayo and some chourico (porco preto, of course!). A nice chilled bottle of Alvarinho and Roberto's your tio ! Just a reminder why I love this place!!
Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:59 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
... How many "tools" does your barber use?...
Mine uses just one, a corded Wahl. My cuts normally take about three minutes after which I'm kicked out (of my own kitchen ) and told to go razor the rest off. These sessions tend to take place mid-morning, so don't get a chance of beer or wine...
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:17 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've been cutting my own hair since I was about 23, so only ever one. Previously I used electronic clippers but eventually I decided to just go all in and shave my head with a razor instead. There are few things more liberating than having a silky-smooth, freshly shaven head - I can tell you that with great certainty.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:31 pm
BEfuddled

I've been cutting my own hair since I was about 23, so only ever one. Previously I used electronic clippers but eventually I decided to just go all in and shave my head with a razor instead. There are few things more liberating than having a silky-smooth, freshly shaven head - I can tell you that with great certainty.
With you 110% on that.

I have to sneak off somewhere when I do a full head shave - normally it's Belgium.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 8:01 pm
Doin' It Right

With you 110% on that.

I have to sneak off somewhere when I do a full head shave - normally it's Belgium.
The only downside is I have to be really careful in summer. I once reffed a soccer match in early April with no hat or sunscreen, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. Yeah, it turned out to be a pretty big deal.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 8:25 pm
BEfuddled

The only downside is I have to be really careful in summer. I once reffed a soccer match in early April with no hat or sunscreen, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. Yeah, it turned out to be a pretty big deal.
Now you know why I do it in Belgium
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:01 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Mine uses just one, a corded Wahl. My cuts normally take about three minutes after which I'm kicked out (of my own kitchen ) and told to go razor the rest off. These sessions tend to take place mid-morning, so don't get a chance of beer or wine...
I flippin well dislike clippering husband's baldy head hair.
Husband is to get his pate done at the barbers for our hols
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of going that way, too, instead of my fortnightly DIY clipper trim. Would freak out 'er indoors. So there's some merit to it.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I flippin well dislike clippering husband's baldy head hair.
Husband is to get his pate done at the barbers for our hols
The husband does his own. There's not a great deal left to shave off but he manages to make a hell of a mess on the bench and sink. Needs one of these:

https://thebeardking.com/products/beard-bib-black
Old Jul 21st 2018, 11:21 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

At 23 I'd not long started cutting my hair again! At work, they ran a 1975 picture of me, in denims, hair down my back and "pancho" moustache, as a "guess who?" Nobody did....!
Then,when I moved to London, my nearest barber was a French ex-Para who only used a razor - the first time was a shock, but it was the best haircut ever.... not shaved, not stubble but short and even. Unfortunately,with 5-o'clock shadow, dark glasses and my accent, it did draw some comments in 1980s London - and especially when travelling to North Africa!
Since then I've always tried to keep it the same and actively avoided use of clippers until Sr.Ricardo, but there's no way it equates to a lack of skill on his part. When/if he retires, I might have to think again.....
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:13 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Baby Brother, currently on his month long annual pilgrimage from Bangkok to UK has just suddenly asked to meet us in Prague next week, haven't seen them for 8 years.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Baby Brother, currently on his month long annual pilgrimage from Bangkok to UK has just suddenly asked to meet us in Prague next week, haven't seen them for 8 years.
That's exciting. Hope you have a great visit.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:21 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
That's exciting. Hope you have a great visit.
Thanks, really looking forward to it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.