Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
What we call them down south can't be printed.......
(actually, it's creabhar, but we tend to use a shorter English expression!)
Wankers works as a somewhat milder alternative.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
We had clegs in Buckinghamshire, but I can't remember if that was general, or just a term used by my celtic dad.
I'm not sure how far reaching the name was, it could have been a bit of both.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you!

I don't play, I tried 18 holes once many, many years ago, hit ONE good - nay, brilliant - shot in all eighteen holes - perfectly placed bang between two trees, coming to rest just off the green in 3. Despite the hole being a par 4, I finished 3 over.

I decided that I would end up more frustrated than enthusiastic, so that was the end of my foray into 'a good walk ruined'.
Ah I used to think that too.. Until the wretched game 'hooked' me. You live for that one moment when you hit the 'sweet spot' and that blessed ball rewards you with a shot from heaven. Like anything else involving a ball. Its those brief moments of joy.
will you have another 'go' when you move ? You've got some lovely courses around there as I recall
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well that's a high enough standard of proof for me. I mean, it seems to be acceptable for referenda, national policy, etc.
Well we only just found out what a veeeryyyy good friend of Trump he is. Pushing that agenda to death on TV right now.. Plus his veeeryyyyy exclusive one time only interview with the orange blimp. I wonder if Jezzer will just 'pop in' to it as well.. And well there you have it. Mission impossible accomplished.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:49 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Ah I used to think that too.. Until the wretched game 'hooked' me. You live for that one moment when you hit the 'sweet spot' and that blessed ball rewards you with a shot from heaven. Like anything else involving a ball. Its those brief moments of joy.
will you have another 'go' when you move ? You've got some lovely courses around there as I recall
In the UK, I drive through one 9-hole course to my house, which is opposite another 19-hole course in a town with another 2 golf courses within spitting distance, yet, like BB, I have never been attracted to chasing the little white ball. I recall the looks from the keen golfers at work when they learned of these circumstances, though I did think the description "like a eunuch in a whorehouse" took it a bit far.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 10:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't play, I tried 18 holes once many, many years ago, hit ONE good - nay, brilliant - shot in all eighteen holes - perfectly placed bang between two trees, coming to rest just off the green in 3. Despite the hole being a par 4, I finished 3 over.

I decided that I would end up more frustrated than enthusiastic, so that was the end of my foray into 'a good walk ruined'.
That sums up 90% of rounds for 90% of players, although usually without that one brilliant shot.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 11:48 am
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... will you have another 'go' when you move ? You've got some lovely courses around there as I recall
Despite the fact that we'll be in Maria-Ter-Heide, within very easy distance of the Royal Antwerp, the Brasschaat Open and the Antwerp International courses I won't be having another attempt. My back is still slowly, slowly recovering from the double disc hernia, and I have to protect it at all costs. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I do however intend to take up snooker again. Geneva being a Portuguese stronghold, there are pool bars and clubs all over the city, but I only ever saw one snooker table, and it was in such a bad condition that I never returned. My pool is at a quite reasonable level, but the snooker is obviously very rusty.

The only proper game I've had in the last 30 years was in the bar of Plymouth Crownhill police station, which has to be one of the best venues in Plymouth. I was there as a guest rather than an inmate as my brother used to be 'on the job' and had asked his management if he could bring me in for a tour. That was a brilliant evening, we drove in to the rear car park, I was put down the prisoner chute straight into the cell block where I was 'processed' by non other than brother's mate and colleague B****, whom I've known for many years.

Downtown Brasschaat has a very nice looking pool and snooker club, so that'll be one way of whiling away the chilly winter evenings.

And they have Leffe on draught.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I shouldn't have smiled bu no-one was injured, but could have been much worse, hope it was her last drive.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/elderly-wo...100753347.html
Old Jul 17th 2018, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
In the UK, I drive through one 9-hole course to my house, which is opposite another 19-hole course in a town with another 2 golf courses within spitting distance, yet, like BB, I have never been attracted to chasing the little white ball. I recall the looks from the keen golfers at work when they learned of these circumstances, though I did think the description "like a eunuch in a whorehouse" took it a bit far.

That was us when we lived in Southport macliam.. surrounded by nine golf courses ... never learnt to play in the UK.. We prefered the squash type pf ball then.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Despite the fact that we'll be in Maria-Ter-Heide, within very easy distance of the Royal Antwerp, the Brasschaat Open and the Antwerp International courses I won't be having another attempt. My back is still slowly, slowly recovering from the double disc hernia, and I have to protect it at all costs. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I do however intend to take up snooker again. Geneva being a Portuguese stronghold, there are pool bars and clubs all over the city, but I only ever saw one snooker table, and it was in such a bad condition that I never returned. My pool is at a quite reasonable level, but the snooker is obviously very rusty.

The only proper game I've had in the last 30 years was in the bar of Plymouth Crownhill police station, which has to be one of the best venues in Plymouth. I was there as a guest rather than an inmate as my brother used to be 'on the job' and had asked his management if he could bring me in for a tour. That was a brilliant evening, we drove in to the rear car park, I was put down the prisoner chute straight into the cell block where I was 'processed' by non other than brother's mate and colleague B****, whom I've known for many years.

Downtown Brasschaat has a very nice looking pool and snooker club, so that'll be one way of whiling away the chilly winter evenings.

And they have Leffe on draught.
WOW You will be moving in elite circles.. watch out for the 67 + Dutch millionaires who live in and around Brassschaat . Surely playing with golden balls.
We never played Royal Antwerp, but there is another course close by belonging to some Count or other... played there... veeeery posh Many have great restaurants attached
We used to go with friends and stay in the little hotel attached to the Stiemerheid Golf and Country club (nearer to Genk) These are great places to stay for a weekend.Restaurant had a Michelin star ,but the prices were ridiculously low... at least in those days
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:36 am
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... We used to go with friends and stay in the little hotel attached to the Stiemerheid Golf and Country club (nearer to Genk) ...
Ah, Limburg... just got to love the music over there that's more of a joke between brother-in-law and myself, we spent an almost long weekend there last autumn ...

Good looking restaurants attached to that hotel, I've book-marked it, thank you
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This :-
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/respons...every-step-way
Old Jul 20th 2018, 1:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Counting butterflies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44895558
Old Jul 20th 2018, 1:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That man is a bloody national treasure.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That man is a bloody national treasure.

He ought to be maintained in perpetuity by the National Trust.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:10 pm
I have a comma problem

He ought to be maintained in perpetuity by the National Trust.
We were born too late to explore the earth and we were born to early to explore the galaxy but we existed at just the right time to listen to him narrate some of the best produced wildlife documentaries that will ever be seen on TV.

A little trite, perhaps, but you get the idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.