Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Well she is a true diplomat and has met with some of the world's most odious people such as Idi Amin and Piers Morgan, so I imagine she'll cope.
Piers Morgan doesn't actually eat people does he?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 11:34 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Piers Morgan doesn't actually eat people does he?
I can't say for sure that he doesn't...
Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
I can't say for sure that he doesn't...
Well that's a high enough standard of proof for me. I mean, it seems to be acceptable for referenda, national policy, etc.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...e-castle-video
Old Jul 7th 2018, 5:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody spent a LONG time talking to that crow!

Bu, then again, it IS Yorkshire.......
Old Jul 9th 2018, 3:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I love crows and ravens, they're ridiculously smart by mammalian standards, never mind for birds.

Also, they can be quite rude (has a bad word in it):
Old Jul 11th 2018, 12:05 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

All the boys and the coach trapped in the cave have been rescued.

Old Jul 11th 2018, 12:17 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Great news - and a tribute to the sacrifice of those who were determined to save them.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I love crows and ravens, they're ridiculously smart by mammalian standards, never mind for birds.
Also, they can be quite rude (has a bad word in it):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y
Old Ida told me that when she worked in the Royal Hotel in Strasbourg, Sask in the 1930's they had a parrot in the lobby that would talk to the patrons and was very popular. There was a big baseball tournament in town and the rooms were full of visiting players, and they gave the parrot some language lessons and the poor bird had to be moved into the kitchen and out of earshot of polite society.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Old Ida told me that when she worked in the Royal Hotel in Strasbourg, Sask in the 1930's they had a parrot in the lobby that would talk to the patrons and was very popular. There was a big baseball tournament in town and the rooms were full of visiting players, and they gave the parrot some language lessons and the poor bird had to be moved into the kitchen and out of earshot of polite society.
That is the problem with birds that mimic sounds - they don't really choose which sounds to mimic.

Not 100% related, but a mate of my dad's used to have a parrot that did a really convincing impression of the smoke alarm.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 2:23 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That is the problem with birds that mimic sounds - they don't really choose which sounds to mimic.

Not 100% related, but a mate of my dad's used to have a parrot that did a really convincing impression of the smoke alarm.
My sister had a friend with a Mynah bird. The friend was going away and asked my sister to look after it - and my sister agreed, not knowing the mess a bird that eats fruit can make ....

I visited her at the time (I was a kid, she's 12 years older) and was fascinated by the sounds the bird could mimic. Voices were easy, but metallic clangs, electrical whirrings, you name it, nor problem.

The party piece was the bird's audio description of the morning milk delivery. This consisted of the sound of the electric milk-float drawing up, the sound of bottles being removed from the crates on board, the sound of footsteps approaching the front door with the milkman whistling as he walked, the sound of FULL milkbottles being put down on a stone step, the sound of EMPTY bottles being picked up, the milkman, still whistling, on his way back to the milk-float, the empty bottles being returned to the crate on board and the milk-float moving off. Absolutely incredible ..... and it did the whole thing several times.

Then there's the mental picture of my Ma at Jersey zoo, insistently looking for the speaker that was supplying the sounds in the Mynah cage. That and my Da grinning and repeating "Up the Rebels!" over and over again to the bemused bird.......(stops to wipe eyes.....)
Old Jul 11th 2018, 2:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
My sister had a friend with a Mynah bird. The friend was going away and asked my sister to look after it - and my sister agreed, not knowing the mess a bird that eats fruit can make ....

I visited her at the time (I was a kid, she's 12 years older) and was fascinated by the sounds the bird could mimic. Voices were easy, but metallic clangs, electrical whirrings, you name it, nor problem.

The party piece was the bird's audio description of the morning milk delivery. This consisted of the sound of the electric milk-float drawing up, the sound of bottles being removed from the crates on board, the sound of footsteps approaching the front door with the milkman whistling as he walked, the sound of FULL milkbottles being put down on a stone step, the sound of EMPTY bottles being picked up, the milkman, still whistling, on his way back to the milk-float, the empty bottles being returned to the crate on board and the milk-float moving off. Absolutely incredible ..... and it did the whole thing several times.

Then there's the mental picture of my Ma at Jersey zoo, insistently looking for the speaker that was supplying the sounds in the Mynah cage. That and my Da grinning and repeating "Up the Rebels!" over and over again to the bemused bird.......(stops to wipe eyes.....)
Some birds can get really close with their sounds too. I've yet to run into a raven in the wild that I have heard mimic though but I'm 99% sure I heard some blue jays mimicking red-tailed hawks in and around our yard before.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 3:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I could watch this all day. (I don't know if it's cruel, but it sure is funny.)

Old Jul 11th 2018, 3:14 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8aBESf8EI
Superb!! The original "Angry Bird"

I need a crest like that to add emphasis when I swear!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8aBESf8EI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.