Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old May 26th 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Congratulations to Ireland on finally allowing a woman to make her own life decisions
Old May 26th 2018, 10:19 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Congratulations to Ireland on finally allowing a woman to make her own life decisions
I voted against the 8th when it was introduced because it meant that nobody, not a doctor, not a judge, not even the President, could authorise an abortion in any but the very narrow set of reasons laid down in the constitution. At that time the Church still had huge influence - contraception had only been legalised in 1980 - and the door to abortion was slammed shut by the restrictions of the 8th amendment. Arguing for "the right to choose" was radical in the extreme.

But, making abortion illegal in Ireland did no more to stop it, than a ban on contraceptives had seen every Irish girl remain a virgin until marriage. The Bus Eireann service from any Irish city to England was full of women forced to leave home and others have taken to using pills bought online to induce miscarriages, risking their health and a possible 14 -year prison sentence.

Now there may be the opportunity to create a law which does not criminalise many women or force them to leave the country. I hope the legislators are wise, but, like Brexit, the decision to change is only the opening gambit.......
Old May 26th 2018, 3:56 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

From my standpoint if it slows the right-wing-bible-bashing-morality-crusade-of-a-contagion that's swept over Europe since the 2008 crash, I'm all in favour. Congrats Eire!

PS - If it helps in exposing Arlene & her mates in NI as having the mindset of 18th Cent. Bigots ... That's even better.

Last edited by 007Steve; May 26th 2018 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 26th 2018, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/v...nchester-video

Manchester's response exactly 1 year after the terrible attack
This is one off the moments when I'm proud to be English
And when I am proud to be a Mancunian ..
Old May 26th 2018, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Thanks all for the congrats on the Swiss house sale, there's a bit of an odd story behind this, I'll do another post on the Belgian thread in the European forum later on.

Looking forward to that....and the box of chocs from Guy Pas
Old May 26th 2018, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

About time.. It has been a matter of deep shame for Ireland .. People tended not to think about it in real terms of suffering for the women involved.. They had no understanding of the horrors involved for women with ectopic pregnancies who died.women who bled to death in back street abortions.women who went to jail for attempting abortions... So many ... Thank god this stone age attitude is finally changing
Old May 26th 2018, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Been feeling very down since a doctor 'forced ' me to take a BP test ( when I have a diagnosed phobia ). It caused another 'blip' in my arterial circulation.. It has been keeping me awake the last week or so. so not only feeling sorry for myself,but very tired as well
Then my lovely Goldie got up from under a cafe table and suddenly couldn't walk on her right front paw... Maybe because I was so down. I felt it was the end for her. (she's 11 ) I iced her paw ,but conceded the next day that I would have to take her to the vets....Vet did every test and then gave her a shot and some tablets.

This morning I was awakened by my OH.. who just said 'Look at this ..He opened the french doors. and there was Senga rolling on her back on the lawn,kicking her legs for all she was worth.Full of the joys of spring... I not only smiled.. I cried...
Old May 26th 2018, 9:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The Little Lion, off to prom. He's pretty pleased with how he cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails What made you smile today? Part III-prom.jpg  
Old May 26th 2018, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What a handsome lion he is.
Old May 26th 2018, 9:23 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

He looks very handsome.
Old May 26th 2018, 10:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Aw what a lovely photo!

My three all refused to go to prom. They also refuse to have their photos taken, except for one that I made them do on New Year's Day this year, it's possibly the only photo of us all as a family, since they were adults (oh, tell a lie, I managed to get one of us all when we became citizens too - so that's 2 photos in 8 years )
Old May 26th 2018, 10:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
What a handsome lion he is.
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
He looks very handsome.
Thanks. And well I think so, but then I would. What made me happy was that he thought so too. It has been a journey. He dropped about 45-50 lbs in weight over the last year and a half , put on a load of muscle from wrestling, and has really blossomed out. Now he's gone to prom with a pretty girl. What could possibly go wrong....
Old May 26th 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Aw what a lovely photo!

My three all refused to go to prom. They also refuse to have their photos taken, except for one that I made them do on New Year's Day this year, it's possibly the only photo of us all as a family, since they were adults (oh, tell a lie, I managed to get one of us all when we became citizens too - so that's 2 photos in 8 years )
Mine refused to go to junior prom last year, but this year, as a senior, he wanted to go. He's going with a group of friends, and they've organized a limo among themselves to the place where the dining and dancing will take place.

He doesn't normally like me taking photos, but since he was rather pleased with himself in this outfit he was quite keen.
Old May 26th 2018, 11:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely looking lad, LiW. I hope he has a wonderful time at the prom.
Old May 26th 2018, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

wow, he is all grown up! Gorgeous picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.