Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old May 14th 2018, 10:05 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post

Sorry about that. Something to do with the youngsters being negligent ?
I have the same with my ''steph''family (including my late husband's 2 sons). Gave up on them now and slowly but surely consuming their inheritance. C'est la vie as well
Some youngsters are negligent, others not. I'm not going public on much of my stuff, but I will share something that actually brought a tear to my eye a few months back.

My eldest step-daughter regularly holds brunches here with loads of friends (even us!) and a few months ago one of the friends pulled me to one side and told me a story of the previous day. The 'gang' had met up in town with an old friend who's being living in Paris for a few years.

Parisienne "So, where are you living at the moment?"

SD "With my parents"

Parisienne "I thought your parents had divorced?"

SD "They have. Oh, dad lives across town. But I'm with my parents"

Needless to say she and I are the best of friends, and that makes up for a ton of stuff in my life
Old May 14th 2018, 10:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Some youngsters are negligent, others not. I'm not going public on much of my stuff, but I will share something that actually brought a tear to my eye a few months back.

My eldest step-daughter regularly holds brunches here with loads of friends (even us!) and a few months ago one of the friends pulled me to one side and told me a story of the previous day. The 'gang' had met up in town with an old friend who's being living in Paris for a few years.

SD "With my parents"

Needless to say she and I are the best of friends, and that makes up for a ton of stuff in my life
That's lovely!

I agree about not baring your soul too much, some things are just too personal and too complex.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

SD "With my parents"

Excellent. You have clearly excelled at your position.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

How thoughtful of LL. You’ve obviously brought him up well.

No, his room is a complete tip and he clearly spends his time thinking about girls rather than about his schoolwork - but he is a sweety and although I don't care for Hallmarks Cards days if a teenage boy wants to show his mum love and appreciation I'm fine with that, whatever day it falls on.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:43 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
his room is a complete tip
Normal.
he clearly spends his time thinking about girls rather than about his schoolwork
Normal.
if a teenage boy wants to show his mum love and appreciation I'm fine with that, whatever day it falls on.
So Jerseygirl is right, admit it.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:53 pm

Normal.

Normal.

So Jerseygirl is right, admit it.
I got lucky in the kid department. He's really been pretty easy going from the get-go. Once he gets to uni he'll probably go wild and be away with the raggle taggle gypsies oh.
Old May 15th 2018, 12:05 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I got lucky in the kid department. He's really been pretty easy going from the get-go. Once he gets to uni he'll probably go wild and be away with the raggle taggle gypsies oh.
I'd certainly hope so, I did! This from just before I saw the boys in concert for the first time!
(You'd never credit that the late, great, Liam Óg O'Flynn had been a Civil Servant, would you?!! Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.)

Last edited by macliam; May 15th 2018 at 12:12 am.
Old May 15th 2018, 5:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I had a lovely phone conversation with my Oz based daughter and one of my sons, which after all those years of no contact with them was very heart warming. They told me that they've given one of my 3 sisters who are visiting me next week pressies and cards for me, but just the phone chat was all I needed and more.
That's lovely. Nice surprise for you.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:51 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

A letter from the post Office telling my wife that the parcel which had done a round trip to Ethiopia (where it was undelivered and had to be chased up) and back was now with us. We knew this, actually, because it was brought to our house and she signed for it. Anyway, they thought they'd let us know again, which was nice of them.That's not the smiley bit, though.

It was the references in the letter to my wife as "Esteemed Madam" and "Your Excellency" that made brought the smile to my lips - they're still very formal with the modes of address when writing here.

"Your Excellency"
Old May 16th 2018, 3:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
A letter from the post Office telling my wife that the parcel which had done a round trip to Ethiopia (where it was undelivered and had to be chased up) and back was now with us. We knew this, actually, because it was brought to our house and she signed for it. Anyway, they thought they'd let us know again, which was nice of them.That's not the smiley bit, though.

It was the references in the letter to my wife as "Esteemed Madam" and "Your Excellency" that made brought the smile to my lips - they're still very formal with the modes of address when writing here.

"Your Excellency"
Yep, I love being addressed as "most excellent sir" ..... and it seems picky to point out that I'm both a doutor and engheneiro, if not downright dangerous as the formality drive might go into overload!.

In the end it is all part of the Portuguese culture, now under threat from foreign influence. My wife, having lived outside Portugal for 30 years,still addresses almost everyone in the third person - and mostly by name or as Sr/Dona "name" rather than voce...... so even her SiL of 40 tears standing is "a Paula" and the guy who occasionally works for us is "Sr. Joaquim" although he is younger than us. I recall once (many years ago) trying to be very careful and navigate this minefield when talking to her younger brother.....so I uttered the word "voce"....... to which his immediate response was "(expletive) - are you bloody Brazilian,or what?!!" (my translation)
Old May 18th 2018, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Spending time in beautiful Vermont. Today we had lunch in a small restaurant in the mountains. The food was delish...but the best part was my $3 shot of Grand Mariner. Got to hand it to them they know how to pour a shot.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 12th 2019 at 10:57 pm.
Old May 18th 2018, 10:02 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Yep, I love being addressed as "most excellent sir" ..... and it seems picky to point out that I'm both a doutor and engheneiro, if not downright dangerous as the formality drive might go into overload!.

In the end it is all part of the Portuguese culture, now under threat from foreign influence. My wife, having lived outside Portugal for 30 years,still addresses almost everyone in the third person - and mostly by name or as Sr/Dona "name" rather than voce...... so even her SiL of 40 tears standing is "a Paula" and the guy who occasionally works for us is "Sr. Joaquim" although he is younger than us. I recall once (many years ago) trying to be very careful and navigate this minefield when talking to her younger brother.....so I uttered the word "voce"....... to which his immediate response was "(expletive) - are you bloody Brazilian,or what?!!" (my translation)
We like being addressed as "Tisztelt ugyfeleink" (Our esteemed customers).
Old May 18th 2018, 11:26 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
... don't have a mum any more and I am not a mum so the day just past by ...
....me too.
Old May 19th 2018, 11:27 am
BEfuddled

Nothing to do with weddings, nor up coming mouth-watering footie matches... we've sold the Swiss house, yay!
Old May 19th 2018, 11:48 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with weddings, nor up coming mouth-watering footie matches... we've sold the Swiss house, yay!
PARTYYYYYY !!!!! Well done and good luck with your next adventure !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.