Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:22 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
No, it's the truth, I swear!!
Ah, but of course.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wigankebab View Post
I'm not going. If he really wants me to then he can just marry me. Otherwise tough.
Not meant to be nasty or rude. This just made me laugh. View the original thread for context.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
All words for the shithouse etc...
Chunder, short for vomit, comes from the navy as the warning "Watch under!" to people on lower decks while being sick over the rail.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 11:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Chunder, short for vomit, comes from the navy as the warning "Watch under!" to people on lower decks while being sick over the rail.
Now designated Strine, along with some other beautiful expressions which enhance the English language, like "Calling Ralph and Huey" or "Talking on the big white telephone to God".

A little spat with another poster made me think back to some expressions used when I was at school. For a small city (still less than 100,000 and 40% under the age of 30), Limerick has some expressions that defy explanation. "A boy da kid" is a greeting, but can mean "well done"; "Story, kid?" means what's happening?; A "gowl" is an eejit anywhere else, "sham" is your bro, mate or pal - and many, many more - but the fave is "I will in me hole" suggested that a required action would not be forthcoming ..... and the ubiquitous ",so" to indicate the opposite "I will, so."

Then I arrived in Bath in the snow - I said "it's Baltic!" (bleedin' freezin') and got blank stares, but when they told me the snow "isn't pitching" it was my turn, because it was throwing it down!! But it turned out that pitching wasn't how much it was snowing, but whether it was "settling" in Bathonian. For a few months conversations were more cross-translations - and we were all speaking "English"!! I was introduced to a new third-person singular of the verb "To Be", "Thee bis" and the negative "Thee bisn't", similarly "thee cast" and "thee casn't" for can - and the everpresent interrogative "er wha'?", which turned any statement into a question ("You going down town, er wha'?"). Then on to London for too many years and now sylly Suffolk, "sloightly of the huh"......

I hate to think of these differences disappearing - but in England it seems there's more accent than dialect these days. Back in Limerick however, they refuse to bow to homogenization -
Old Mar 29th 2018, 11:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails What made you smile today? Part III-img_20180329_164916.jpg  
Old Mar 30th 2018, 7:45 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

One of Mr Dreamy's work colleagues lives just to the west of Sydney - hugely built up, very urban.

She became very excited to see a kangaroo on some open grass near her home, grabbed her phone, took a piccy, ran inside, shouting to all and sundry to come and see the roo, because it was such an uncommon event...

Turned out it was a dog having a poo.

Um... ok...
Old Mar 30th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This

https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...-cabinet-video
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:37 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

That poor little puppy luckily didn't look too panicked though.

When we got the kittens, Pom put her head into an indoor houseplant watering can, the type with the long spout. Surprise, surprise she got stuck and she had not developed her voice yet, so I was alerted to the problem by the sound of smack, smack of plastic on wooden table legs etc.

When I got there she was running around like some demented dalek, just crashing into things. It was incredibly funny, but the poor thing was obviously well distressed, so I had to concentrate on freeing her, so didn't manage to get a video/photo...
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
That poor little puppy luckily didn't look too panicked though.

When we got the kittens, Pom put her head into an indoor houseplant watering can, the type with the long spout. Surprise, surprise she got stuck and she had not developed her voice yet, so I was alerted to the problem by the sound of smack, smack of plastic on wooden table legs etc.

When I got there she was running around like some demented dalek, just crashing into things. It was incredibly funny, but the poor thing was obviously well distressed, so I had to concentrate on freeing her, so didn't manage to get a video/photo...
This is what we came home to one day. He was about 1 year at the time.

What made you smile today? Part III-100_1496.jpg

On another occasion, he got stuck between the rungs of the pool ladder trying to climb out. He had his head and both front legs through the ladder. We had to dismantle it to get him out. No panic though
Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that has made me smile today....? Reading some of the posts from "One thing that has pissed you off today". Not that I become happy from reading misfortunes, but the way some people are eloquent and quirky with their posts
Old Apr 1st 2018, 3:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

A Thornton's easter egg, found here in Chicago, for my son.

#sentimentalfool #simplepleasures
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

This popped up on my Dilbert daily calendar today. Seems quite appropriate for several threads on here.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Booking a holiday this morning to go on Saturday... So excited.... I am in desperate need of sun. Plus it will be mine and Mr Clacfart's 1st wedding anniversary whilst we are away
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 6:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart View Post
Booking a holiday this morning to go on Saturday... So excited.... I am in desperate need of sun. Plus it will be mine and Mr Clacfart's 1st wedding anniversary whilst we are away
Enjoy. I'm off to see my sister in Weymouth on Wednesday ....... not much chance of sun there - still back to Portugal for a wee while at the end of the month
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart View Post
Congratulations...what a lovely way to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary.

We get plenty of sun in Toronto but I am in need of some warm weather. We were hoping to go down to Florida week after next...not sure we will be able to now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.