Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page > What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:58 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
A woman sat behind me on the plane thought it was OK to put her foot up on my armrest. So I chose my longest, sharpest fingernail and dug it as hard as I could into the most sensitive part of her foot. When she cried out I turned around and gave her a withering look. Needless to say she didn’t do it again.
What you don't know is that that was her fetish and you were able to keep her 'taken care of' for the remainder of that flight
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:02 pm

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
What you don't know is that that was her fetish and you were able to keep her 'taken care of' for the remainder of that flight
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

It didn't snow
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:04 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
It didn't snow
Now that is one I can get behind, after last week, when we had about 18" dumped on us over a 5 day period.

I'm ready for spring.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is one I can get behind, after last week, when we had about 18" dumped on us over a 5 day period.

I'm ready for spring.
We got an "ice dam" on the flat roof of our building/gutter/downspout with the result that all the melt generated by the warm building under said 18" of snow could not drain off - well it did drain off, but mostly into my son's bedroom. We must have caught and bailed about 30 gallons before the landlords managed to create enough gaps in the ice to dry that up. Not exaggerating.

Yeah, ready for spring.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:26 pm
it's not true!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
God I'm slow today! Lion in winter, best keep clear!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:34 pm
Cultural Marxist

We got an "ice dam" on the flat roof of our building/gutter/downspout with the result that all the melt generated by the warm building under said 18" of snow could not drain off - well it did drain off, but mostly into my son's bedroom. We must have caught and bailed about 30 gallons before the landlords managed to create enough gaps in the ice to dry that up. Not exaggerating.

Yeah, ready for spring.
Hoo boy, that sounds like a right bloody mess.

Landlords, though. We got a call on Sunday afternoon, around the time we were getting nice and comfy in front of the TV from my father-in-law who said they hadn't been shoveled since the snow started. He's pretty sick at the moment, issues with his heart and his legs, and he can't get around much. The landlord doesn't have a contract with a plow company and I guess my wife's youngest sister who lives with him, or their upstairs neighbor for that matter, haven't seen a shovel in their lives. So yeah, that meant we had to head up with our shovels to help him out. I didn't mind that because he has to be able to get out to see his doctor, but spending 2 hours shoveling someone else's drive wasn't the way I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hoo boy, that sounds like a right bloody mess.

Landlords, though. We got a call on Sunday afternoon, around the time we were getting nice and comfy in front of the TV from my father-in-law who said they hadn't been shoveled since the snow started. He's pretty sick at the moment, issues with his heart and his legs, and he can't get around much. The landlord doesn't have a contract with a plow company and I guess my wife's youngest sister who lives with him, or their upstairs neighbor for that matter, haven't seen a shovel in their lives. So yeah, that meant we had to head up with our shovels to help him out. I didn't mind that because he has to be able to get out to see his doctor, but spending 2 hours shoveling someone else's drive wasn't the way I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon.

Where I am landlords are legally obliged to keep sidewalks clear, but don't know about driveways in rentals. You would think that common sense and decency would prevail, maybe.

Luckily, we had two five-gallon empty paint drums, or we would have had to form a human chain with our small buckets and containers. The landlady's least helpful comment - "do you know any roof contractors?" No. No I don't. I'm not the one who owns several buildings.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:51 pm
Cultural Marxist

Where I am landlords are legally obliged to keep sidewalks clear, but don't know about driveways in rentals. You would think that common sense and decency would prevail, maybe.

Luckily, we had two five-gallon empty paint drums, or we would have had to form a human chain with our small buckets and containers. The landlady's least helpful comment - "do you know any roof contractors?" No. No I don't. I'm not the one who owns several buildings.
It's probably different in the city, he's in a small town up even closer to Wisconsin than we are. I can see if you're renting a single family unit that you may be expected to clear the drive yourself, but this is a house split into two apartments and the landlord uses the garage on the property - so I'd expect that he would take on at least some responsibility. So, needless to say, I didn't shovel out the car belonging to the upstairs tenant. **** that noise.

But in your case, that is absolutely your landlord's responsibility. They should have a list of contractors and tradesmen that they work with regularly for things they can't take care of themselves in case emergencies like this come up.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today

A local radio host was taking his daughter to set up shop on the foot bridge leading to Denver University. The thought was college students/weed.

Personally, girl scout cookies annoy me somewhat. It's bloody extortion, a huge industrialized operation, and the products are mediocre.
I have having to run the gauntlet at the supermarche because Little Sally and Little Brenda are sitting outside at a table.
I know it's generally unacceptable to swear at kids, but I really want to just tell them to eff off. Humbug.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:27 pm

Both California and Colorado are legal states aren't they?

Doubly no leg for a complaint t to stand on.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:32 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

And to answer your question, I pinch myself and erupt into a big grin when I remember Hillary isn't the president.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
And to answer your question, I pinch myself and erupt into a big grin when I remember Hillary isn't the president.
Lay off the girl scout cookies a bit
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:48 pm
Peace onion

I heard the mint ones are good frozen.

For myself, they'll never rise to the level of a Viscount, a good Penguin or some After Eight mints.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:32 pm

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I heard the mint ones are good frozen.

For myself, they'll never rise to the level of a Viscount, a good Penguin or some After Eight mints.
I had a Penguin (the biscuit type) last week, my husband bought them for me because I miss TimTams. Penguins are not a substitute for TimTams. Penguins are rubbish. TimTams are angel food.
I am quite fond of those thin after dinner mints though.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement