Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Speaking of ageing performers, I know his songs were always just pop schmaltz, but they were really good pop schmaltz. This performance from New Year's Eve in Time Square is poignant. King of performers, diagnosed with Parkinson's (you can see his hand holding the mic shake), freezing cold, voice a pale shadow of what it once was, and yet there he is, leading the crowd one last time.

https://youtu.be/hM6ISxO6t20

Here's how he used to sound. Extra points for the outfit.

https://youtu.be/oAnknZRJjoQ
He was a brilliant live performer, I saw him at Sheffield Arena a good few years ago and he was just superb.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:08 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad It's better known and more often sung in this country than the national anthem.
Trust me, I'm well aware.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of ageing performers, I know his songs were always just pop schmaltz, but they were really good pop schmaltz. This performance from New Year's Eve in Time Square is poignant. King of performers, diagnosed with Parkinson's (you can see his hand holding the mic shake), freezing cold, voice a pale shadow of what it once was, and yet there he is, leading the crowd one last time.

https://youtu.be/hM6ISxO6t20

Here's how he used to sound. Extra points for the outfit.

https://youtu.be/oAnknZRJjoQ
I love how people who had tickets have asked that the money go to the charity rather than get it back.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 3:18 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I love how people who had tickets have asked that the money go to the charity rather than get it back.
I love how he's rocking a Sean Connery in The Rock kinda look.

Sweet Caroline is an awesome song. (Cheesy as hell, but awesome.) I thought Miss Moo might like the song, as her middle name is Caroline, but she hates it, too.

Off to listen to Forever in Blue Jeans, 'cause why not? ETA: Turns out you can only listen to one and a half Neil Diamond songs before your ears make you put literally anything else on Spotify.

Last edited by Geordie George; Jan 30th 2018 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
I love how he's rocking a Sean Connery in The Rock kinda look.

Sweet Caroline is an awesome song. (Cheesy as hell, but awesome.) I thought Miss Moo might like the song, as her middle name is Caroline, but she hates it, too.

Off to listen to Forever in Blue Jeans, 'cause why not? ETA: Turns out you can only listen to one and a half Neil Diamond songs before your ears make you put literally anything else on Spotify.
Forever in Blue Jeans possibly wasn't the best choice. (Staggers off to find something better......) Cracklin Rosie is ok, all the other sound identical to me. I did own a copy of the Beautiful Noise album, no idea where it went, I don't have it now.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:55 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Forever in Blue Jeans possibly wasn't the best choice. (Staggers off to find something better......) Cracklin Rosie is ok, all the other sound identical to me. I did own a copy of the Beautiful Noise album, no idea where it went, I don't have it now.
I had JUST stopped singing Forever in Blue Jeans when I saw Geordie George's post and was obliged to start singing it again.

When I say 'singing it', I mean, 'randomly blurting out 'MONEY TALKS, BUT IT DON'T SING AND DANCE AND IT DON'T WALK' at the top of my voice'.

(I did used to think it was called 'For Reverend Blue Jeans'... I was young)
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
I had JUST stopped singing Forever in Blue Jeans when I saw Geordie George's post and was obliged to start singing it again.

When I say 'singing it', I mean, 'randomly blurting out 'MONEY TALKS, BUT IT DON'T SING AND DANCE AND IT DON'T WALK' at the top of my voice'.

(I did used to think it was called 'For Reverend Blue Jeans'... I was young)
I'd forgotten what appalling grammar he used.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:40 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

It's my dad's birthday today (well, today in the UK, yesterday in Australia)

I managed to keep him on the telephone for 6 minutes 23 seconds, a new world record, beating the previous best of 4 minutes 10 seconds by talking about Steve Smith and the uselessness of Australia's one-day international cricket team.

(I know very little about cricket, so it was a brave move on my part)
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:17 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
It's my dad's birthday today (well, today in the UK, yesterday in Australia)

I managed to keep him on the telephone for 6 minutes 23 seconds, a new world record, beating the previous best of 4 minutes 10 seconds by talking about Steve Smith and the uselessness of Australia's one-day international cricket team.

(I know very little about cricket, so it was a brave move on my part)
Every single phone conversation I have with my dad is identical:

- how am I?
- how are the children?
- how is Mr GG?
- how's Mr GG's job?
- how's the car?
- excuse made for why he needs to crack on.

Call over and duty done for another couple of months.

Belated happy birthday to your dad.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Every single phone conversation I have with my dad is identical:

- how am I?
- how are the children?
- how is Mr GG?
- how's Mr GG's job?
- how's the car?
- excuse made for why he needs to crack on.

Call over and duty done for another couple of months.

Belated happy birthday to your dad.
Reminds me of the time my mother called us. About a minute of me asking her how she was, her saying 'what?' a few times before saying 'Oh I can't do this, I haven't got my hearing aid in' and she put the phone down. She called me!!!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This lovely Mancunian lady. In great contrast to the tone of so many.

Mum covers anti-homeless spikes in Manchester with cushions - BBC News
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

This lovely Mancunian lady. In great contrast to the tone of so many.

Mum covers anti-homeless spikes in Manchester with cushions - BBC News
Good for her.

My smile of the day: I currently have a terrified foster mumma and her three kittens. Mumma allowed me to stroke her back whilst she ate dinner. Massive step forward.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Good for her.

My smile of the day: I currently have a terrified foster mumma and her three kittens. Mumma allowed me to stroke her back whilst she ate dinner. Massive step forward.

Excellent. The first step toward real trust.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Excellent. The first step toward real trust.
It's taken a fortnight to get to this point. She still hisses four or five times when I get close but immediately headbutts my hand to scratch her head. Had one baby purring the other day, I was ridiculously happy. The other two kittens still go limp and play dead when picked up. We'll get there.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 5:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/02/02...st-thing-ever/

I would

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.