Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Oh yeah, I was only talking about the variations in how they speak English, add in Irish to the mix and it's exponentially more varied.

Up in Norn Irn, we have our own kind of bastardized mix of English and Ulster Scots, I suppose you could call it. Full of colloquialisms, of course. Irish is spoken in parts of West Belfast still, there are bilingual street name signs, but it's mostly cultural, we don't have a mini-Gaeltacht or anything.

Irish is starting to gain a bit of traction, even in East Belfast, thanks to Linda Ervine (who's brother-in-law was the ex-PUP leader and former UVF member of all people ).
Well, Paisley said “I am proud to be an Ulsterman, but I am also proud of my Irish roots.”, so why not embrace the language - even if it's only to reinforce identity. It seems to have dawned on the Unionists that they need to make common cause - even Trimble said "Many Englishmen… seem unable to distinguish between the native inhabitants of Ireland – to him they are all 'Paddies'."

When you get your new EU passport, it'll show the whole teddy and call you "Éireannach", Fáilte don tsaol nua!!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:43 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Well, Paisley said “I am proud to be an Ulsterman, but I am also proud of my Irish roots.”, so why not embrace the language - even if it's only to reinforce identity. It seems to have dawned on the Unionists that they need to make common cause - even Trimble said "Many Englishmen… seem unable to distinguish between the native inhabitants of Ireland – to him they are all 'Paddies'."

When you get your new EU passport, it'll show the whole teddy and call you "Éireannach", Fáilte don tsaol nua!!
I think more progressively minded Unionists are starting to get on board. But you're right - Paisley himself did say in effect that you can't be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:32 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Moo (9) made and iced a chocolate cake, completely by herself with no help from me whatsoever. And tidied up the kitchen after herself. She's a keeper.

More importantly, there's cake. Yay!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:00 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

My old Tyler pusscat is not 100% at the moment. He has the squits so I am spending time and effort sorting this out and ensuring said cat bum is pristine clean.

Husband's new young pusscat Dusty (the pregnant kitten that came to live under the house which we had the vet sort and then she moved in ) loves Tyler a lot. She meows at him and just wants to snuggles and the like. He remains not too keen .

Anyway. She poked her head under his tail at his rear end and then tried to clean his tail for him
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:41 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Miss Moo (9) made and iced a chocolate cake, completely by herself with no help from me whatsoever. And tidied up the kitchen after herself. She's a keeper.

Good to know. My daughter's almost 8 and she's just started to make herself her own sandwiches. I'm happy to see there is cake not too far down the line
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Moo (9) made and iced a chocolate cake. Yay!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post

Have you got a special alert set up for whenever someone mentions cake, or is it just a natural, magnetic attraction like starlings going home to roost?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Have you got a special alert set up for whenever someone mentions cake, or is it just a natural, magnetic attraction like starlings going home to roost?
It's a super power.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:54 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you hire her out?

Mind you, Middlechild made fajitas last night for dinner, after doing some driver supervision of his brothers.

I'm worried.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:43 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
A package in the mail today

Tonight we will drink tea and say thanks to some very special lovely people.

Totally made my day
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:00 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Two days in a hotel for the annual "all staff meeting" are over and I'm back to just doing my job.

What a monumental waste that was. Whatever they spent on it, I would rather have the cash and skip the "inspirational" speeches.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Two days in a hotel for the annual "all staff meeting" are over and I'm back to just doing my job.

What a monumental waste that was. Whatever they spent on it, I would rather have the cash and skip the "inspirational" speeches.
I use vacation time to avoid this shit. Totally worth it.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:56 pm

It's considered Very Bad Form to do that here, and Makes You Look Bad with your boss, also undesirable.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:08 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they had free cakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.