Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
mmmm - little stollen bites from Lidl, luckily available in Portugal as well as the UK

Fresh tangerines from the tree, ditto pomegranate, ripe mango from the Algarve and secretos de porco preto. I've booked the ticket already!!

PS - interesting fact: Turkey (the bird) in Portuguese is Peru whereas Orange in Turkish is Portakal......
The bird name is right-ish (Peru was the name given to all Spanish America including Mexico) - we get the name totally wrong!
The Orange is wrong, but the weird thing is that although bitter oranges were known in Turkey, sweet oranges were introduced from China by the Portuguese, hence the name....
I love these snippets of history.. We got marmalade totally wrong as well. Also 'palaver' (did we ever listen and learn ) I love my stollen too,much nicer imo than christmas cake. Never could convince the neighbours to enjoy mince pies though.They used to lift the lids and peer suspiciously at the contents,convinced it was minced meat...
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Mary Berry has gone on to make a really good programme about cooking in stately homes.The people and stories behind the houses etc. It could have been totally naff and obsequious ,however its turned out to be really interesting . The real Downton Abbey's of today.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The ready made one was probably a Graham cracker base. That's fine for many varieties of cheesecake, but if I wanted to recreate the genuine M&S experience, I would probably spring for the digestives and the blackcurrant jam.

I might make one for Christmas, actually. Or a Victoria sponge. Curse my wife for getting me sucked in to GBBO on Netflix. I was supposed to not like it and be all cool and contrarian
i Don't know which state you live in Sultan but there are online stores that will ship frozen blackcurrants to certain ones. Also look out for any Polish stores in your area ,many stock small amounts of frozen blackcurrants.
My ED has done the research, as she is crazy about them (her grandfather had an allotment and grew them,along with every other fruit known to british man.) She now grows her own though .
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Mary Berry has gone on to make a really good programme about cooking in stately homes.The people and stories behind the houses etc. It could have been totally naff and obsequious ,however its turned out to be really interesting . The real Downton Abbey's of today.
That was last week, it was Scone Castle in Scotland last night. still an excellent series.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask what channel, etc?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I don't give a flying ***** what you think about my "anecdote", because you won't have sat through a police racial abuse interview as I have - and I can assure you they didn't have the same attitude as you. Neither have you had to calm someone who has been so abused.

Your rational explanations are a pile of hogwash - I know the difference between someone attempting to be understood and someone who is looking down their nose. I also know what it is to have your nationality brought into a discussion by the oh-so superior English- and why? Because I'm a bloody foreigner too, you dork!!

Enjoy Brexit - after all, the rest of the world is against you.
Ah, back to the usual remainiac hate and ad-hom abuse in place of normal decent discussion.

Interesting to see the Celtic anti-English bigotry raise its head as well.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
May I ask what channel, etc?
BBC1 8pm on a Wednesday night.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
That was last week, it was Scone Castle in Scotland last night. still an excellent series.
Yep I missed that ,will have to see it on 'encore' tonight..
Old Nov 30th 2017, 4:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I love these snippets of history.. We got marmalade totally wrong as well. Also 'palaver' (did we ever listen and learn ) I love my stollen too,much nicer imo than christmas cake. Never could convince the neighbours to enjoy mince pies though.They used to lift the lids and peer suspiciously at the contents,convinced it was minced meat...
Everyone has Marmelade wrong!! - for the non-Portuguese speakers out there, Marmelade comes from Marmelada, which is a conserve of Marmelos, which is the Portuguese word for Quinces. So REAL Marmalade is actually Quince cheese. "Marmelet of Oranges" was in a late C17th English recipe book, but it was still a thick, solid paste like its Quince equivalent. Water was added to the paste in Scotland to produce a spreadable conserve, hence the Dundee marmelades, etc. (I'll refrain from suggesting that it also made the fruit go a lot further and increased the profits!!).

It's difficult to get the Portuguese to try a sweet pie - empanadas are savoury and you'd want to know what it was before putting it in your mouth, vegetable, meat, fish, seafood or whatever. The whole idea of using dried fruit is also a bit foreign (and expensive!) in Portugal too..... not helped by the fact that "fruto seco" is another term for a fart!! Having said which, fresh walnuts are a prize at Christmas (SWMBO has 3kg laid in) and the candied fruit/peel is a delight (especially the candied orange peel for me!!).

If you really want to confuse your Portuguese neighbours, try them on scones (especially with cream and jam). The idea of a non-sweet bready thing, spread with thick cream that is not sour or sweetened and then jam is a stretch for the imagination of most Portuguese. So much so that when we introduced friends of ours to a "Cream Tea" in Devon, the Husband was still trying to work out exactly what it was and why he loved it so much several hours later!! I'm not going to comment on the accompanying tea, with milk..... it was a day of discoveries for them!!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 4:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Ah, back to the usual remainiac hate and ad-hom abuse in place of normal decent discussion.

Interesting to see the Celtic anti-English bigotry raise its head as well.
I think you know where you can stick your comment and your opinions, troll. I also think anyone looking back over my posts will clearly see that labelling me as "a remainiac" (in common with just about anyone who disagrees with you) says more about you than about me.

There is also no bigotry on my side and, luckily, little against me - but that might be because the snivelling cowards who usually resort to such abuse would rather pick on a woman. However, to deny that I have witnessed any such abuse or observed such behaviour in my 30+ years in the UK would be to deny the sun rises in the morning.

Keep posting, the spade isn't blunt yet.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

i Don't know which state you live in Sultan but there are online stores that will ship frozen blackcurrants to certain ones. Also look out for any Polish stores in your area ,many stock small amounts of frozen blackcurrants.
My ED has done the research, as she is crazy about them (her grandfather had an allotment and grew them,along with every other fruit known to british man.) She now grows her own though .
Blackcurrants can be found out here but it's harder to get them because they are a disease vector (although other ribes species like Alpine Currant are not affected). World Market sells blackcurrant jam though, which would work as a cheesecake topping I think.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:30 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Blackcurrants can be found out here but it's harder to get them because they are a disease vector (although other ribes species like Alpine Currant are not affected). World Market sells blackcurrant jam though, which would work as a cheesecake topping I think.
IMHO, jam's too sweet for cheesecake, you need something really tart..... otherwise you just have a sticky jam cake.

I know blackcurrant growing is restricted over there due to some pine disease (allegedly), but I can't see why that should stop the fruit being available. However, as I said before, the bloody blueberry seems to be the grey squirrel of the berry world, once it gets a foothold it outcompetes the blackcurrant for market share. The cynic in me also wonders whether the blueberry producers didn't have a hand in the banning decision too!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, jam's too sweet for cheesecake, you need something really tart..... otherwise you just have a sticky jam cake.

I know blackcurrant growing is restricted over there due to some pine disease (allegedly), but I can't see why that should stop the fruit being available. However, as I said before, the bloody blueberry seems to be the grey squirrel of the berry world, once it gets a foothold it outcompetes the blackcurrant for market share. The cynic in me also wonders whether the blueberry producers didn't have a hand in the banning decision too!
The blackcurrant jams I have found have had a reasonable degree of tartness, but I know I could find the fruit if I looked harder.

I don't get why the blackcurrant was singled out, yet I am buying plenty of its cousin (ribes alpinum) every bloody week for jobs at work

I actually like blueberries and they're pretty good for you but blackcurrants are vastly superior in all ways.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Everyone has Marmelade wrong!! - for the non-Portuguese speakers out there, Marmelade comes from Marmelada, which is a conserve of Marmelos, which is the Portuguese word for Quinces. So REAL Marmalade is actually Quince cheese. "Marmelet of Oranges" was in a late C17th English recipe book, but it was still a thick, solid paste like its Quince equivalent. Water was added to the paste in Scotland to produce a spreadable conserve, hence the Dundee marmelades, etc. (I'll refrain from suggesting that it also made the fruit go a lot further and increased the profits!!).

It's difficult to get the Portuguese to try a sweet pie - empanadas are savoury and you'd want to know what it was before putting it in your mouth, vegetable, meat, fish, seafood or whatever. The whole idea of using dried fruit is also a bit foreign (and expensive!) in Portugal too..... not helped by the fact that "fruto seco" is another term for a fart!! Having said which, fresh walnuts are a prize at Christmas (SWMBO has 3kg laid in) and the candied fruit/peel is a delight (especially the candied orange peel for me!!).

If you really want to confuse your Portuguese neighbours, try them on scones (especially with cream and jam). The idea of a non-sweet bready thing, spread with thick cream that is not sour or sweetened and then jam is a stretch for the imagination of most Portuguese. So much so that when we introduced friends of ours to a "Cream Tea" in Devon, the Husband was still trying to work out exactly what it was and why he loved it so much several hours later!! I'm not going to comment on the accompanying tea, with milk..... it was a day of discoveries for them!!
Lovely macliam.. Our gardening club visited our local winery where they made the quince 'square' they eat with meat. It was all explained to us there and of course we had to test it..delicious. along with a glass or two of course.
It was actually our Dutch neighbours I was referring to when we lived in NL.My Portuguese neighbour here is very sophisticated, lectured the chef at our Golf club about how to present Raw Tuna...The way they do it in SWITZERLAND ??? oops.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:54 am
Resident Cynic

Lovely macliam.. Our gardening club visited our local winery where they made the quince 'square' they eat with meat. It was all explained to us there and of course we had to test it..delicious. along with a glass or two of course.
It was actually our Dutch neighbours I was referring to when we lived in NL.My Portuguese neighbour here is very sophisticated, lectured the chef at our Golf club about how to present Raw Tuna...The way they do it in SWITZERLAND ??? oops.
Well now, we always used to say (nodding to the southside) there's no worse snob than an Irish snob. But, as with other things, Portugal sometimes punches above its own weight!

SWMBO has made marmelada - and very nice it is too, but my favourite way to eat Quince is cored and roasted, like an apple, with raisins and port in the middle. I'm looking forward to my return and a battery recharge - I've had enough winter already and I'm missing my secretos!

The local Waitrose here has opened a sushi/sashimi outlet - expensive but good. One taste reminds you that freshly-prepared sushi is a completely different beast to any supermarket selection box that you can buy - even their own, which is far better than the alternatives. But even in Sylly Suffolk, the idea that any fish in a supermarket is FRESH would astound my Portuguese relations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.