Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:07 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Regarding the characters - I knew there were a lot of borrowed ones, but I'm used to seeing them mixed with the (very recognizable) Japanese characters as well, so that's what threw me. I should have stuck to my guns though, because that picture of the tofu is very Japanese to my eyes, plus wasabi, obviously.

That's surprising about the strawberry one. I can't imagine tea flavoured anything but actual tea would be that good anyway.
The visible characters on the cheesecake one are katakana (one of the two phonetic Japanese syllabaries, the other being hiragana), read from top to bottom left to right:

チー(ズケーキ): chi (nobasu: indicating lengthening of the preceding vowel) zu ke (nobasu) ki : chii zu kay key

ストロ(ベリー): su to ro be ri (nobasu): sue to (as in top) ro (as in rob) be (as in beg) rii (as in reed)

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Nov 29th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
The visible characters on the cheesecake one are katakana (one of the two phonetic Japanese syllabaries, the other being hiragana), read from top to bottom left to right:

チー(ズケーキ): chi (nobasu: indicating lengthening of the preceding vowel) zu ke (nobasu) ki

ストロ(ベリー): su to ro be ri (nobasu)
I was too focused on the tofu one and didn't even notice them
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The complete lack of one-upmanship or any kind of competition really was a welcome surprise. Also, no annoying 'quirky characters' or whoop-whooping. Just lots of cakes and a big scouser talking about things being over-worked.
Yeah.. it's pretty drama-free and the people all seem nice enough. The switch this year to Channel 4 didn't lose any of that either, which was a nice surprise.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
GBBO is good, easy TV.
The complete lack of one-upmanship or any kind of competition really was a welcome surprise. Also, no annoying 'quirky characters' or whoop-whooping. Just lots of cakes and a big scouser talking about things being over-worked.
I don't even like cooking, but I find the show strangely relaxing as well. It's just people behaving decently and making cakes. It's affecting my vowel sounds though, at least for baking words - I may never say "sponge" the southern way again.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.. it's pretty drama-free and the people all seem nice enough. The switch this year to Channel 4 didn't lose any of that either, which was a nice surprise.
They just added a new (4th, I think) season on Netflix, which I presume is the one before the switch to Channel 4.

I feel bad for slagging it off before now, though. Oh well, you live and learn, eh?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

They just added a new (4th, I think) season on Netflix, which I presume is the one before the switch to Channel 4.

I feel bad for slagging it off before now, though. Oh well, you live and learn, eh?
It's cake. No one can dislike cake.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Word.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

If there's no marzipan involved I'll pass 😏
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
If there's no marzipan involved I'll pass 😏
Now my Stollen addiction is kicking in.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Now my Stollen addiction is kicking in.
mmmm - little stollen bites from Lidl, luckily available in Portugal as well as the UK

Fresh tangerines from the tree, ditto pomegranate, ripe mango from the Algarve and secretos de porco preto. I've booked the ticket already!!

PS - interesting fact: Turkey (the bird) in Portuguese is Peru whereas Orange in Turkish is Portakal......
The bird name is right-ish (Peru was the name given to all Spanish America including Mexico) - we get the name totally wrong!
The Orange is wrong, but the weird thing is that although bitter oranges were known in Turkey, sweet oranges were introduced from China by the Portuguese, hence the name....
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:29 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how true it is, but I read that if a contestant was really upset about something, Sue Perkins would go over to them and swear profusely so the producers couldn't use it as an emotional grab.

Noel Fielding has, surprisingly, been a great fit to the new format (but Prue Leith is really no Mary Berry)
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
I don't know how true it is, but I read that if a contestant was really upset about something, Sue Perkins would go over to them and swear profusely so the producers couldn't use it as an emotional grab.

Noel Fielding has, surprisingly, been a great fit to the new format (but Prue Leith is really no Mary Berry)
Apparently true.

Yes.. Noel was my biggest worry and has turned out to be pretty much perfect.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:53 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

Nobody is Mary Berry. But surprisinglyI'm liking the new season.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Nobody is Mary Berry. But surprisinglyI'm liking the new season.
Ditto. Noel and Sandi are very good and I'm happier with Prue than I thought I would be. Well done Channel 4 for not ****ing it up.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Any soggy bottoms ?????

I had a copy of a letter from my gastro-enterologist today that made me

"Big Sticks is not keen on the Omeprazole. Although it probably helps, it makes her a bit fuzzy in the head and not quite right............"

The OH is delighted to have written, medical proof .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.