Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 27th 2017, 11:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Yeah, yeah! Next you'll be telling me the Tommies in WW1 went "over the top" because they fancied a stroll!! The same donkeys who were behind them laid the foundations for BREXIT.

Years of negative reporting by the British press, years of denial of positive EU actions, years of whining by the eurosceptics on both sides of the argument (Corbyn is one too) and a campaign where both sides told lies and they knew they'd left it too late to educate the populace and so didn't try. Plus a good dose of nostalgia, xenophobia and an unanswered concern for the way things are going, coupled with politicians who have minimal traction with the voters ..... all led to a vote which narrowly came down on the leave side.

However, it is not the vote, it is the reaction to the vote where it goes pear-shaped ..... a combination of half-truths, wild speculation and the desire to find a scapegoat for when it all goes wrong wave been the hallmarks of the BREXIT talks.

You couldn't make it up.
Tbh, most powers that be have zero interest in creating an educated populace. It's much harder to manipulate people who are informed as to actual facts. The Remain campaign did a terrible job of mounting a strong, informative campaign, and Leave actively promoted lies and bigotry.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 11:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
But she's not because she's dead and if I read one more thing about sodding Diana and what she did/didn't/might/might not do/think I may break something. Not having a go at you but the sodding world in general. It's 2017, regardless of who Prince Charles married and had children with, things have changed since the 50s/60s/70s etc and the Royal Family, and more especially the Queen have moved forward.

Ok so that was a bit of a rant over something that doesn't matter but far out, the woman is long gone and most of William and Harry's upbringing was done by Charles.
D'you really think that? I agree he was the one alive during that time (and I concur about the St.Diana references) - but I'm sure most of their upbringing was done by various lackeys and boarding school staff.

In Harry's case, I guess we can at least be sure she was the mother.........
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

D'you really think that? I agree he was the one alive during that time (and I concur about the St.Diana references) - but I'm sure most of their upbringing was done by various lackeys and boarding school staff.

In Harry's case, I guess we can at least be sure she was the mother.........
Yeah I do. They're incredibly close to him if he wasn't the one bringing them up. Also if you look at photos of young Philip, Harry is most obviously Charles and that's another thing that really naffs me off. You and everyone else who suggests Charles isn't his dad would blow a gasket if anyone even remotely suggested your child wasn't yours. Just because he's famous doesn't mean he's fair game to be called a bastard.

Ok so everything is naffing me off today.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:31 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I do. They're incredibly close to him if he wasn't the one bringing them up. Also if you look at photos of young Philip, Harry is most obviously Charles and that's another thing that really naffs me off. You and everyone else who suggests Charles isn't his dad would blow a gasket if anyone even remotely suggested your child wasn't yours. Just because he's famous doesn't mean he's fair game to be called a bastard.

I'm with you 100% on this and your last post. All the Diana stuff pisses me off no end. Also makes me laugh that people go on about how wonderful Diana was then suggest she had a kid with someone else, that would have been a real classy move
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
I'm with you 100% on this and your last post. All the Diana stuff pisses me off no end. Also makes me laugh that people go on about how wonderful Diana was then suggest she had a kid with someone else, that would have been a real classy move
The one thing she really did was to drag the royal family into the 20th century, and that has really been carried on by her sons, their relaxed attitude at interviews, their willingness to get involved in things, like turning up to help on DIY SOS when they were doing up the houses for veterans. The, well at least the younger ones, have made the royals seem so much more approachable.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you look at photos of young Philip, Harry is most obviously Charles and that's another thing that really naffs me off. You and everyone else who suggests Charles isn't his dad would blow a gasket if anyone even remotely suggested your child wasn't yours. Just because he's famous doesn't mean he's fair game to be called a bastard.
Exactly, and here's the proof. Two peas in a pod.

Now let's have no more of this nonsense talk.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:50 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, yeah! Next you'll be telling me the Tommies in WW1 went "over the top" because they fancied a stroll!! The same donkeys who were behind them laid the foundations for BREXIT.

Years of negative reporting by the British press, years of denial of positive EU actions, years of whining by the eurosceptics on both sides of the argument (Corbyn is one too) and a campaign where both sides told lies and they knew they'd left it too late to educate the populace and so didn't try. Plus a good dose of nostalgia, xenophobia and an unanswered concern for the way things are going, coupled with politicians who have minimal traction with the voters ..... all led to a vote which narrowly came down on the leave side.

However, it is not the vote, it is the reaction to the vote where it goes pear-shaped ..... a combination of half-truths, wild speculation and the desire to find a scapegoat for when it all goes wrong wave been the hallmarks of the BREXIT talks.

You couldn't make it up.
Ah, the "brexiters are too thick to know what they were voting for" meme, along with the "brexiters are xenophobes" one, with a dash of "brexiters hark back to empire".

Of course, those who don't vote like you must be thick and bigoted
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:57 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Ah, the "brexiters are too thick to know what they were voting for" meme, along with the "brexiters are xenophobes" one, with a dash of "brexiters hark back to empire".

Fair description!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:27 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you obviously have no experience of the way the rich bring up their kids. My wife was a nanny in Knightsbridge, so I can assure you, Charles would have had little to do with his upbringing.

As to the rumours about Harry, I couldn't give a damn - and I'm sure the family know the truth. In the end, he is 5th in line to the throne and going backwards, so it doesn't really matter. However, as a republican, I see no difference to these people than any other "celebrities" who seem to be fair game. If they want a "normal" life, just drop the privileges.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:33 am
Resident Cynic

Garbage - if you are suggesting that xenophobia was not an influence and that people did not express the opinion that "Britain was great before the EU" then you are being "economical with the truth".

Equally, I said there were lies told by both sides and that there was no attempt to educate the voters - you choose to infer that I am speaking about the anti-EU side only. Maybe that chip on your shoulder is affecting your ability to read.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 1:13 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Steve, I think you are misreading this! The timing (for the Govt.) is spot on - nothing like a royal wedding to distract the populace - & with a bit of luck she will get pregnant next year, with a due date of, let me see, April 2019 - perfect! Now that is contributing!
... ... ...
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you obviously have no experience of the way the rich bring up their kids. My wife was a nanny in Knightsbridge, so I can assure you, Charles would have had little to do with his upbringing.

As to the rumours about Harry, I couldn't give a damn - and I'm sure the family know the truth. In the end, he is 5th in line to the throne and going backwards, so it doesn't really matter. However, as a republican, I see no difference to these people than any other "celebrities" who seem to be fair game. If they want a "normal" life, just drop the privileges.
Didn't Charles bring in the woman who was HIS nanny to look after William and Harry?.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:15 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Garbage - if you are suggesting that xenophobia was not an influence and that people did not express the opinion that "Britain was great before the EU" then you are being "economical with the truth".

Equally, I said there were lies told by both sides and that there was no attempt to educate the voters - you choose to infer that I am speaking about the anti-EU side only. Maybe that chip on your shoulder is affecting your ability to read.
I'm sure xenophobia may have been an influence on EDL/Nat Front type people, but they are a minuscule part of the electorate.

People expressing that the UK was great before joining the EU has nothing to do with xenophobia.

Possibly, but as this forum is choc-full of remianiacs, can you blame me?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:40 pm
Resident Cynic

I'm sure xenophobia may have been an influence on EDL/Nat Front type people, but they are a minuscule part of the electorate.

People expressing that the UK was great before joining the EU has nothing to do with xenophobia.

Possibly, but as this forum is choc-full of remianiacs, can you blame me?
I disagree, I am not talking about the extreme behaviours of the EDL/NF neanderthals, but everyday attitudes that lie just below the surface. My wife is Portuguese, so I have some experience of this - from the very nice gentleman presuming that because she has an accent, she must be retarded so best speak slow and LOUD, to the equally nice neighbour who, in a heated discussion about boundaries said "You might be something in your own country, but you're just a foreigner here!". Actual incidents, not reports and from BEFORE the vote. With the constant sh*t-stirring of UKIP and certain newspapers, it doesn't take much to provoke an us-and-them situation.

I also did not conflate xenophobia with nostalgia - although they can work together. Those who have not seen (and have not been shown) any positive outcome from the EU and who don't know that the world has changed can be forgiven for harking back to simpler times - those who know better but still encourage them to do so cannot.

I am pro-EU, but it needs significant reform - in the same way that the UK system has flaws and needs reform too. However, what worries me more are the sharks and wide-boys who have come out of the closet since Brexit was announced, continuing the lie that the "experts" are wrong and that they know best - and actually just looking out for themselves.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How did the EU arguing get into this thread? It already has a marathon thread of its own and the whole Brexit debacle does not make me smile at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.