Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Mar 14th 2017, 2:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
LIW...my dentist's eldest son started uni in Liverpool last September. He loves the uni, Liverpool and the UK...so does his mum and dad. I warned his dad that he may never return to Canada. We really regret not encouraging our daughter to go to uni in the UK.
We did look at Liverpool and it does look good, but they are squarely in the upper fee bracket. It's going to be stretch even with the lower fees.

I didn't have to encourage my son - he just wanted to do it. He really likes it there.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 2:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
For technical/engineering courses? Nothing. For hard sciences, or advanced mathematics or something, I'd say the 'true' uni would maybe have the edge for research (and often former polys don't offer straight science degrees), but that's about it.

Undergrad courses at the University of Ulster are £13K ($16K). I mean, shit, that's still at least two grand less than what we'd pay at UIC, or something and I know they have good engineering degrees because my cousin who works for Bombardier got one there in the 80s. Also, he could still get an associate degree here and probably transfer over to an undergrad MEng course (fees are the same for undergrad masters degrees), too.

Would it be wrong of me to say he'd probably get a better university education in the UK than he would here?
Yes, the fees really do compare favourably with US fees, and I think there's value in getting your education somewhere where you have to learn another culture above and beyond the actual course.

Since my son wants to do engineering, and is really interested in the marine element and environmental/alternative energy/conservation, Plymouth makes a lot of sense in many ways. I think they are quite well-regarded in research in that field too even though they aren't a scholarly hothouse. But my son isn't the hothouse type anyway.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes, the fees really do compare favourably with US fees, and I think there's value in getting your education somewhere where you have to learn another culture above and beyond the actual course.

Since my son wants to do engineering, and is really interested in the marine element and environmental/alternative energy/conservation, Plymouth makes a lot of sense in many ways. I think they are quite well-regarded in research in that field too even though they aren't a scholarly hothouse. But my son isn't the hothouse type anyway.
I know he'd be all over it. Even if we didn't use it as a reason to move, he'd still benefit from it anyway.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:23 pm

I know he'd be all over it. Even if we didn't use it as a reason to move, he'd still benefit from it anyway.
Plus you can get a dive certification as part of your engineering degree at Plymouth, if you are doing either Marine or Coastal. The Little Lion is keen on the idea. I just hope he doesn't end up working on a rig
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Plus you can get a dive certification as part of your engineering degree at Plymouth, if you are doing either Marine or Coastal. The Little Lion is keen on the idea. I just hope he doesn't end up working on a rig
It's always a possibility, I suppose, if he's interested in that kind of thing. Maybe he'll just design and build ports instead.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Good. Although no doubt the vile woman will try to appeal.
Scroll down to the bottom of this link...

Jack Monroe Feels Nothing But ‘Compassion And Sympathy’ For Katie Hopkins After Court Victory | The Huffington Post
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

She's a lunatic.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

How many buttons does this push?

Gin and Tonic Layer Cake:

gin & tonic layer cake in Cake recipes at Lakeland
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Tickets are being booked today
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tickets are being booked today
Does the boy get to go with you?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:03 pm
I have a comma problem

Does the boy get to go with you?
Yeah, we need to get them booked, so at this point if he doesn't graduate, it's his problem that he'll miss summer school, not ours.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Yeah, we need to get them booked, so at this point if he doesn't graduate, it's his problem that he'll miss summer school, not ours.
Hopefully that final kick up the arse to graduate then.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Hopefully that final kick up the arse to graduate then.
He has a habit of pulling it out of his arse at the last minute so honestly, I'm not too worried. Seems that everything he has left is all in-class presentations and assessment rather than homework, so that should save him. I'm not expecting a stellar performance, of course, but if he wants me to buy him his first legal pint, he'll get working.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:40 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Getting out of the school P&C AGM, without having signed up to an exec position for another year. ☺ It always feels like you've dodged a bullet.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Getting out of the school P&C AGM, without having signed up to an exec position for another year. ☺ It always feels like you've dodged a bullet.
I really enjoyed doing it for the girls' primary school in the UK. The High School here wasn't quite so much fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.