Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What have you never done?

What have you never done?

Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:10 pm
  #226  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,943
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I've never done it a subsequent time.

Perhaps it wasn't a good quality but it did nothing for me and I thought well I don't smoke anyway so why should I smoke this?
Neitger one of us has ever smoked. Pals did joints and it used to zombie them and make thrm giggle about nothing. Bit boring.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:14 pm
  #227  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,791
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Neitger one of us has ever smoked. Pals did joints and it used to zombie them and make thrm giggle about nothing. Bit boring.

Same here for me. Hubby smoked when we first met. He used to step outside to have a ciggie, until one day he sat on the back step, I locked myself in the bathroom and emptied a bucket of cold water out of the window. Good job for me he is easy going. He stopped smoking cold turkey after that and has never smoked again.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:18 pm
  #228  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,014
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I've never done it a subsequent time.

Perhaps it wasn't a good quality but it did nothing for me and I thought well I don't smoke anyway so why should I smoke this?
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Neitger one of us has ever smoked. Pals did joints and it used to zombie them and make thrm giggle about nothing. Bit boring.
I gave all that up when I became a mum. I had pretty much sole responsibility for my child 24/7 so mind-altering substances were not going to work.

Plus something happened to the strength/quality - something that, during my misspent youth, just made me relaxed and happy started to make me completely incapable of doing anything but lying down to stop my brain from sloshing around inside my head. Not very exciting for anybody really. Never smoked any "normal" stuff.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 5th 2021 at 8:28 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2021, 11:23 pm
  #229  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,934
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Neitger one of us has ever smoked. Pals did joints and it used to zombie them and make thrm giggle about nothing. Bit boring.
I can think of many worse things in life than "Giggling about nothing" ! I remember those days with great affection. If you all do it together (a bunch of friends), it becomes highly infectious and pretty soon, you are just laughing uncontrollably. Laughter is up there with 'love' I would say!

I've just recently restarted my 'exploration' of marijuana (now legal in CA and AZ) after a 40 year absence, and so far, it's not been so great ... but then, I'm doing it alone right now. It's definitely a 'group' thing in some ways ... I did try it the other night and started watching a favorite comedy on TV (Parks and Recreation) and did get into a laughing fit at one point ... so there's hope .
Steerpike is online now  
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:00 am
  #230  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 19,046
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I can think of many worse things in life than "Giggling about nothing" ! I remember those days with great affection. If you all do it together (a bunch of friends), it becomes highly infectious and pretty soon, you are just laughing uncontrollably. Laughter is up there with 'love' I would say!

I've just recently restarted my 'exploration' of marijuana (now legal in CA and AZ) after a 40 year absence, and so far, it's not been so great ... but then, I'm doing it alone right now. It's definitely a 'group' thing in some ways ... I did try it the other night and started watching a favorite comedy on TV (Parks and Recreation) and did get into a laughing fit at one point ... so there's hope .
We often giggle about nothing. We just do it without any medicinal enhancement.
I think it is because we are just silly kids at heart.

We had a giggle fest on our walk in the park today. It started with a serious conversation about birds and ended up with us laughing so hard we had to stop walking.

I love nonsense days like that.
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2021, 3:25 am
  #231  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,934
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We often giggle about nothing. We just do it without any medicinal enhancement.
I think it is because we are just silly kids at heart.

We had a giggle fest on our walk in the park today. It started with a serious conversation about birds and ended up with us laughing so hard we had to stop walking.

I love nonsense days like that.
I approve that message
Steerpike is online now  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:52 pm
  #232  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,500
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

I have never learned to swim (probably explains how I almost drowned 3 times - and my fear of water..)
I have never been on a motorbike.. although I got a lift home on a vespa a couple of times
I have never been on a cruise ship.. only on ferries, hovercrafts and private boats to the Isle of Wight / over to France / repeatedly going across the water from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island - and on junks on the South China Sea (not forgetting a holiday on the Norfolk Broads at 12, lol)
I've never ridden a camel, although I've ridden horses, a cow, donkeys and an elephant..
I've never been to Paris despite travelling all around France and the rest of the world.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:49 pm
  #233  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,836
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
...
I've never ridden a camel...
Scariest thing I ever did.
Not one of those in Tenerife where they have a basket thing on each side of the camel, that's just bouncy.

In Egypt I was on one with my mother and they are so high up. Mum was behind me but with her dodgy hip she couldn't sit as far back as others did so I was pushed more forward, holding on for dear life but every step felt like I going to be thrown forward. Did I mention it was so high?

And then when it's time to get off the camel goes down on its front legs, tipping you forward and then down on its back legs tipping you back. And in my mum's case rolling off the back onto the sand.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 1:51 am
  #234  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,014
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I have never learned to swim (probably explains how I almost drowned 3 times - and my fear of water..)
I have never been on a motorbike.. although I got a lift home on a vespa a couple of times
I have never been on a cruise ship.. only on ferries, hovercrafts and private boats to the Isle of Wight / over to France / repeatedly going across the water from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island - and on junks on the South China Sea (not forgetting a holiday on the Norfolk Broads at 12, lol)
I've never ridden a camel, although I've ridden horses, a cow, donkeys and an elephant..
I've never been to Paris despite travelling all around France and the rest of the world.
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Scariest thing I ever did.
Not one of those in Tenerife where they have a basket thing on each side of the camel, that's just bouncy.

In Egypt I was on one with my mother and they are so high up. Mum was behind me but with her dodgy hip she couldn't sit as far back as others did so I was pushed more forward, holding on for dear life but every step felt like I going to be thrown forward. Did I mention it was so high?

And then when it's time to get off the camel goes down on its front legs, tipping you forward and then down on its back legs tipping you back. And in my mum's case rolling off the back onto the sand.


I've ridden a camel, horse, cow, and donkey, but never an elephant. And the camel was in Iowa, but hey, it was still a camel.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 2:03 am
  #235  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,943
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We often giggle about nothing. We just do it without any medicinal enhancement.
.
Me too. Something tickles me and I can laugh until tears run down my face and makes my stomach ache. After that and calmed down I can erupt into giggles all over again. I don't need anything extra for that , just my humour and something that tickles the funny bone. Himself and I often laugh & giggle We make others smile too. It is the humour within & the way we bounce. My Dad was a right giggler.


BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 2:09 am
  #236  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,791
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We often giggle about nothing. We just do it without any medicinal enhancement.
I think it is because we are just silly kids at heart.

We had a giggle fest on our walk in the park today. It started with a serious conversation about birds and ended up with us laughing so hard we had to stop walking.

I love nonsense days like that.
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Me too. Something tickles me and I can laugh until tears run down my face and makes my stomach ache. After that and calmed down I can erupt into giggles all over again. I don't need anything extra for that , just my humour and something that tickles the funny bone. Himself and I often laugh & giggle We make others smile too. It is the humour within & the way we bounce. My Dad was a right giggler.
We are another pair of gigglers. Can’t remember what it was now but the other day we started giggling about something silly and before I knew it I could barely stand. It’s good to giggle...especially at times like this.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 3:04 am
  #237  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 19,046
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I've ridden a camel, horse, cow, and donkey, but never an elephant. And the camel was in Iowa, but hey, it was still a camel.
We unintentionally rode a camel in Tunisia back in 1977.It was being led by a guy running along a beach hoping we would give him more money after we had let him take a picture of us with our camera and paid him for doing it but then we declined the ride but he decided differently.

The outcome was many irate British and European vacationers chasing alongside the camel trying to stop him. Eventually he stopped, returned our camera and was removed with his camel from the Hotel beach. It was our first day on holiday and we learned quickly! I was also almost 5 months pregnant. I believe this may have been when baby decided to get in the breach position
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 4:43 am
  #238  
BE Enthusiast
 
sid nv's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 457
sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

I have hung on to a camel's back (getting seasick) in Egypt. This is mandatory when in Cairo.
But I am baffled by mention here of riding cows. Why would one saddle up on a cow?

sid nv is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:30 pm
  #239  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,014
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
We unintentionally rode a camel in Tunisia back in 1977.It was being led by a guy running along a beach hoping we would give him more money after we had let him take a picture of us with our camera and paid him for doing it but then we declined the ride but he decided differently.

The outcome was many irate British and European vacationers chasing alongside the camel trying to stop him. Eventually he stopped, returned our camera and was removed with his camel from the Hotel beach. It was our first day on holiday and we learned quickly! I was also almost 5 months pregnant. I believe this may have been when baby decided to get in the breach position

Kidnap by camel. That's - unusual.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:35 pm
  #240  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,014
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you never done?

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
I have hung on to a camel's back (getting seasick) in Egypt. This is mandatory when in Cairo.
But I am baffled by mention here of riding cows. Why would one saddle up on a cow?
You don't actually put a saddle on them. It's the sort of thing that happens to you when you're a child and your relative has a dairy farm and decides it would be amusing to pop you on top of a cow when the herd is being driven in for milking.

They are totally unsuitable for riding - their backs are bony and sharp and very uncomfortable, and they don't do anything you tell them.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.