Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Transplanting pig brain cells into humans

Transplanting pig brain cells into humans

Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transplanting pig brain cells into humans

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi View Post
I'm glad to see someone is asking these questions.

I think it's being tested in New Zealand because that's where the disease free Auckland Island pigs are reared. They say they are disease free but pigs are carriers of retroviruses that are notoriously difficult to detect and take years to show any symptoms. The most famous type of retrovirus is HIV. Who knows what others have yet to be discovered and what can happen when they jump the species barrier.

I was surprised to see that the approval for the stage 1 trials has been presented as a fait accompli. Did I miss the debate about the ethics and morality of xenotransplantation in New Zealand, or didn't it happen yet?

Where and when was the public consultation? Did tony Ryall make the decision unilaterally and who gave him the authority to do that?

The consultation has already been held here in Australia, did the same thing happen over there?

http://www.lifescientist.com.au/arti...ted_australia/

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/health-ethic...ransplantation

Part of the debate needs to include the experiences of clinical trials in other countries, why some stopped at stage 2 and never progressed. Why some people went on to develop malignant cancers and suffered seizures.

People volunteering to take part in the trials need to do so with fully informed consent. Do they realise they will be taking anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives (even if the transplant fails) will have to practice safe sex, not give blood donations, log their sexual partners and be subject to lifetime monitoring?

Do they know that in double blind trials conducted in other countries the benefit of the transplant was considered only marginally more effective than a placebo procedure, and that transplanted cells died off over time. IMO the benefits of the transplant do not outweigh the risks.

I don't understand why the NZ public isn't all over this and asking the hard questions, are they content to be used as the testing ground?

I would hate to think the reason why these trials are being staged in New Zealand is because people are more compliant there, or that their naivete was being taken advantage of .
Well sit back in your little piece of paradise and let those of us who are actually here worry about it.

with that....I'm Out
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:18 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that living in a country was a pre requisite for caring about it.

My bad.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that living in a country was a pre requisite for caring about it.

My bad.
You don't care about NZ, you slag it off at every opportunity, IMHO you're a troll, go back under your bridge!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:41 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

My bad.
IMO most of your posts have a little code in them. For example, in this thread where you said :

I think if I was affected by this devastating disease I'd prefer to find out what other countries are doing first before agreeing to pig cells being transplanted into my brain.

What you really wanted to say is : Don't emigrate to NZ otherwise the government might conduct experiments on you.

Then when that didn't work you tried

I think I would be asking why the phase 1 clinical trials are being held in New Zealand, are people more willing to be experimented on over there or is the regulatory environment a little more laissez faire ?

Here, what you really wanted to say is : Oh dear, kiwi's are so thick that they're allowing the Aussies to experiment on them, and they don't even know it. Watch out!

It goes on and on like this. Even in innocuous threads like one about pressure cookers. You said something to the effect of 'pressure cookers are like gold in NZ, kiwis hang onto them like prized possessions'

Translated, this is code for : Kiwis are so poor they can't even afford pressure cookers. Don't live there if you want to cook anything decent.

(But there's heaps of them on trademe)

etc etc etc etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Oct 7th 2012 at 9:44 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

waikatoguy , not worth feeding the trolls mate.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:31 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phyns View Post
Yea I know. I can't help myself. Thanks for the reminder phyns.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:32 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy View Post
IMO most of your posts have a little code in them. For example, in this thread where you said :

I think if I was affected by this devastating disease I'd prefer to find out what other countries are doing first before agreeing to pig cells being transplanted into my brain.

What you really wanted to say is : Don't emigrate to NZ otherwise the government might conduct experiments on you.

Then when that didn't work you tried

I think I would be asking why the phase 1 clinical trials are being held in New Zealand, are people more willing to be experimented on over there or is the regulatory environment a little more laissez faire ?

Here, what you really wanted to say is : Oh dear, kiwi's are so thick that they're allowing the Aussies to experiment on them, and they don't even know it. Watch out!

It goes on and on like this. Even in innocuous threads like one about pressure cookers. You said something to the effect of 'pressure cookers are like gold in NZ, kiwis hang onto them like prized possessions'

Translated, this is code for : Kiwis are so poor they can't even afford pressure cookers. Don't live there if you want to cook anything decent.

(But there's heaps of them on trademe)

etc etc etc etc etc etc ad infinitum.
I think you've got a massive inferiority complex if you can read all that into something I said about pressure cookers being expensive in New Zealand so it's best to take one with you! http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...g#post10235837

it's obvious you've never emigrated, but I don't begrudge your presence here on this forum.

You're just sore at me because I said you didn't do the cooking in your household, get over it and move on. Do a cordon bleu cookery course if it bothers you that much

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Oct 7th 2012 at 10:35 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:34 am
Banned

You know I thought you and Waikato guy were both trolls, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt because it doesn't really matter to me. Live and let live I say.

No I tell a lie, I thought Waikato guy also had a problem with women. He does seem to become obsessed with them.

So if you two charmers have quite finished with your thread hijack perhaps you can kindly let people discuss this topic if it interests them. Or put me on ignore if my presence irks you that much.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Oct 7th 2012 at 10:39 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Ignore !
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Or put me on ignore if my presence irks you that much.
Finally some thing worth reading from you. Thanks for your valuable input.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Ditto
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:00 am
Banned

You may be interested to know that two years ago the same company wanted to transplant pig islet cells into New Zealanders to treat type 1 diabetes, giving them a higher does than they did in a stage 1 trial conducted in Russia.

The only reason why these treatments are being trialled is because of a critical shortage of human donors, it's a cheap but questionable method of treating an increasing number of chronic diseases. Sick and vulnerable people are going to be placed under increased pressure to take part in trials believing that they stand a remote chance of being cured. In reality, they are being given false hope and used as willing guinea pigs to test for side effects.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

Finally some thing worth reading from you. Thanks for your valuable input.
and you for yours. if you've done trolling perhaps you'd like to leave this thread alone now?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

I'm not a troll. I'm a kiwi and brit citizen who doesn't like people talking crap about either country.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

On a note related to this thread, all trials conducted in NZ follow the same guide lines as Australia (ANZCTR). You might also want to add the it's not just an Austrian company but also Diatranz Otsuka Limited (NZ) so it makes perfect sense that trials would be conducted in NZ. They are also testing in Argentina. If this breakthrough works it will be ground breaking.

Summary. Companies that have done the research are based in Australia and NZ so it's reasonable to assume some trials would be done in NZ.

Last edited by phyns; Oct 7th 2012 at 12:11 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.