Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Todays Saints

Todays Saints

Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:01 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todays Saints

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
This seems to be getting more surreal

March 13

* Bl. Agnello of Pisa
* St. Roderic
* St. Agnellus of Pisa
* St. Ansovinus
* St. Urpasian
* St. Theusetas
* St. Sabinus
* St. Euphrasia
* St. Heldrad
* St. Kevoca
* St. Macedonius
* St. Ramirus and Companions
* St. Roderic and Salomon
* St. Nicephorus
* St. Mochoemoc
St. Mochoemoc? St. Nicephorus?
You gotta be kidding. I've been sitting here trying to pronounce them various ways. Well they sound silly, especially St Mochoemoc.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:05 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
St. Mochoemoc? St. Nicephorus?
You gotta be kidding. I've been sitting here trying to pronounce them various ways. Well they sound silly, especially St Mochoemoc.
St Mochoemoc sounds like some fancy coffee
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:27 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone called Boniface Curitan deserves some recognition

March 14

* St. Matilda
* St. Mathilda
* Bl. Ambrose Fernandez
* St. Boniface Curitan
* St. Diaconus
* Bl. Dominic Jorjes
* St. Eutychius
* Martyrs of Valeria
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:38 pm
Take it easy

March 15

* St. Louise de Marillac
* St. Matrona
* St. Aristobulus
* Bl. William Hart
* St. Clement Maria Hofbauer
* St. Leocrita
* St. Mancius
* St. Raymond of Fitero
* St. Nicander
* St. Menignus
* St. Monaldus of Ancona
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

St. Aristobulus-well I see he preached in Britain but no details of his martyrdom. I suspect that he disappeared because his name sounds like an incantation.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:46 pm
Take it easy

St. Aristobulus-well I see he preached in Britain but no details of his martyrdom. I suspect that he disappeared because his name sounds like an incantation.
Preaching in Britain is martyrdom enough
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:38 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested that you find the names difficult, I enjoy wrapping my tongue around strange foreign words. I thought when I came to the 'melting pot' that everyone would be practiced at names from all over the world. I was wrong. I don't know if I passed it on to my daughters by genetics or influence, particularly the firstborn, she loved to pronounce strange words when she was young. Middle daughter is a chameleon of speech, she gets embarrassed by her fast adaptation, she is bothered that they will think she's making fun of them. We have a friend from SC, and after an hour's visit, my daughter sounds more like her daughter than mine.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen View Post
I'm interested that you find the names difficult, I enjoy wrapping my tongue around strange foreign words. I thought when I came to the 'melting pot' that everyone would be practiced at names from all over the world. I was wrong. I don't know if I passed it on to my daughters by genetics or influence, particularly the firstborn, she loved to pronounce strange words when she was young. Middle daughter is a chameleon of speech, she gets embarrassed by her fast adaptation, she is bothered that they will think she's making fun of them. We have a friend from SC, and after an hour's visit, my daughter sounds more like her daughter than mine.
Oh it's not that I don't enjoy them, the peculiar ones stay in my head and then I play them over and over, practicing which way or what syllable to emphasize. After a while it gets a little weird.

Now my mother bless her heart is the one who has a tough time with Toyota, Mazda (she pronounces it the British way ) and other fairly common ones. She didn't study any languages in school and even though both her parents could stumble around in French she didn't pick up on that at all.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:53 pm
Take it easy

Happy St Joseph of Arimathea Day

March 17

* Saint Patrick
* St. Gertrude of Nivelles
* St. Jan Sarkander
* St. Joseph of Arimathea
* St. Paul of Cyprus
* Bl. Peter Lieou
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:49 pm
Sursum corda

Happy St Joseph of Arimathea Day

March 17

* Saint Patrick
* St. Gertrude of Nivelles
* St. Jan Sarkander
* St. Joseph of Arimathea
* St. Paul of Cyprus
* Bl. Peter Lieou
St. Joseph of Arimathea-
St Joseph of Aromatherapy-
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:23 am
Take it easy

St Cyril of Jerusalem sounds like a character from Life of Brian.

March 18

* St. Cyril of Jerusalem
* St. Alexander
* Bl. Christian
* St. Salvatore
* St. Edward the Martyr
* St. Anselm of Lucca
* Sts. Trophimus & Eucarpius
* St. Salvator of Horta
* St. Frediano
* St. Humphrey
* St. Narcissus and Felix
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:13 pm
Sursum corda

St Cyril of Jerusalem sounds like a character from Life of Brian.

March 18

* St. Cyril of Jerusalem
* St. Alexander
* Bl. Christian
* St. Salvatore
* St. Edward the Martyr
* St. Anselm of Lucca
* Sts. Trophimus & Eucarpius
* St. Salvator of Horta
* St. Frediano
* St. Humphrey
* St. Narcissus and Felix

Felix the Cat? He was no saint,
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:14 pm
Take it easy

Felix the Cat? He was no saint,
No, and his mate St Narcissus doesn't sound like the humble type
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:13 pm
Sursum corda

No, and his mate St Narcissus doesn't sound like the humble type
Seriously, I betcha there was a certain amount of self righteousness amongst those who had a good shot at sainthood. St Thomas a' Becket for one.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, I betcha there was a certain amount of self righteousness amongst those who had a good shot at sainthood. St Thomas a' Becket for one.
Becket was, in a sense, a convert, going from drunken womaniser to holy man, a case of the "office maketh the man".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.