British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/things-you-embarrassed-take-charity-shop-914629/)

dougal03 Jul 5th 2018 4:35 pm

Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Am thinking of moving so having a general sort out.As someone who has had multiple homes in many locations I am amazed at what I have accumulated since my last move,although I was "gifted"some bits when my daughter went back to UK & couldn't refuse such "largess".I do still have a working model which plays those(now) obsolete videos but I thought I would keep a few favourities & take the rest to a local charity shop.There was a look of amusement but I was told that there were people who still had such an ancient machine.Which has made me have a second look at what I no longer want to keep.I have 2 unused,never opened Step Counters which I remember buying years ago in an English Sports shop,a huge torch that I don't recall buying but looks like it was designed for cave exploration under the Russian perma frost,a gadget that I think is a knife sharpener for which I have no use thankfully as it may be deemed anti-social,an old book entitled"Secret France" which appears to describe all the places we Brits.have relocated to since the 1990's,& of course my daughter's leftovers,the pretty little jam pots,honey pots & what about the 4 little prawn cocktail dishes.There is also the Scottish cake server which ,I suppose,could be used to hand out a small portion of a pizza take away,& a cheese shaver,at least I think it is although have never used it to my knowledge,it could equally be for shaving hairs from gooseberries,& the butter curler which I am familiar with.In the old days no tea in Scotland would be served without the tea bread being accompanied with a dish of little butter curls,but nowadays it's the plastic tub of Flora which is so much healthier.This could also be quite a challenge for the recycling bins.

Lion in Winter Jul 5th 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12527805)
Am thinking of moving so having a general sort out.As someone who has had multiple homes in many locations I am amazed at what I have accumulated since my last move,although I was "gifted"some bits when my daughter went back to UK & couldn't refuse such "largess".I do still have a working model which plays those(now) obsolete videos but I thought I would keep a few favourities & take the rest to a local charity shop.There was a look of amusement but I was told that there were people who still had such an ancient machine.Which has made me have a second look at what I no longer want to keep.I have 2 unused,never opened Step Counters which I remember buying years ago in an English Sports shop,a huge torch that I don't recall buying but looks like it was designed for cave exploration under the Russian perma frost,a gadget that I think is a knife sharpener for which I have no use thankfully as it may be deemed anti-social,an old book entitled"Secret France" which appears to describe all the places we Brits.have relocated to since the 1990's,& of course my daughter's leftovers,the pretty little jam pots,honey pots & what about the 4 little prawn cocktail dishes.There is also the Scottish cake server which ,I suppose,could be used to hand out a small portion of a pizza take away,& a cheese shaver,at least I think it is although have never used it to my knowledge,it could equally be for shaving hairs from gooseberries,& the butter curler which I am familiar with.In the old days no tea in Scotland would be served without the tea bread being accompanied with a dish of little butter curls,but nowadays it's the plastic tub of Flora which is so much healthier.This could also be quite a challenge for the recycling bins.

Charity shops don't really look that carefully anyway.

Last week my OH picked up a glass specially designed for toasts that dates to about 1750-1760 at the local charity shop - for 99 cents :blink: Those things sell for $200-$400 at auctions :blink: :blink: So if you've got any of those, let me know...

dougal03 Jul 6th 2018 3:41 pm

Obviously charity shops in your neck of the woods are less concerned,perhaps just grateful for all offerings.Can't help you with your request for valuable glassware.However I do have 4 nice prawn cocktail dishes in a stylish shade of dark green???

Expatrick Jul 6th 2018 5:03 pm

My Mother

Hawkmoon77 Jul 6th 2018 7:38 pm

I remember around mid 200s, charity shops near us politely asked people NOT to leave Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" as their shelves were already groaning under multiple copies (which nobody was at all interested in buying)
:)

Lion in Winter Jul 6th 2018 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12528452)
I remember around mid 200s, charity shops near us politely asked people NOT to leave Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" as their shelves were already groaning under multiple copies (which nobody was at all interested in buying)
:)

Yeah, those were more of a recycling opportunity than a reading opportunity.

spouse of scouse Jul 6th 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12527805)

What a great post - I'm still laughing at the gadget that is either a cheese shaver or a gooseberry hair shaver :lol:

Red Eric Jul 6th 2018 10:14 pm

I'm wondering why the huge torch.

What sort of shape is it? ;);)

caretaker Jul 6th 2018 10:49 pm

Take it in and they'll sort it out.

Annetje Jul 6th 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12528381)
My Mother

:lol::lol::lol:

Got some family members as well ... if only :angel:

Boomhauer Jul 7th 2018 1:09 am

I take a lot of stuff to Goodwill. Only if they are working. If they are dirty , I clean it up first. If they need repair I either repair it or if it I can't then I don't donate cause I find it embarrassing to donate an item that isn't working.

TimFountain Jul 7th 2018 3:00 am

I scored a once in a lifetime find at a Goodwill in Portland a few weeks back. A Tumi Alpha 2 laptop bag, in black leather, absolutely brand new, still with the tags on it. It is not a knock-off as I registered it with Tumi the next day (i.e. serial number accepted). I paid $20 for a bag that lists for $675. What a deal. On the other end of he spectrum, Goodwill outlets are one step away from Hell. I've seen used toilet brushes, cat litter boxes with turds still in there, skiddy underpants, used car oil filters and once a pink dildo. Just what are some people thinking?

TimFountain Jul 7th 2018 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12528622)
I take a lot of stuff to Goodwill. Only if they are working. If they are dirty , I clean it up first. If they need repair I either repair it or if it I can't then I don't donate cause I find it embarrassing to donate an item that isn't working.

I am the same, I only take working items to GW. It's amazing how many people will drop off completely useless dead crap. What is the point?

Lion in Winter Jul 7th 2018 3:53 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 12528647)
I scored a once in a lifetime find at a Goodwill in Portland a few weeks back. A Tumi Alpha 2 laptop bag, in black leather, absolutely brand new, still with the tags on it. It is not a knock-off as I registered it with Tumi the next day (i.e. serial number accepted). I paid $20 for a bag that lists for $675. What a deal. On the other end of he spectrum, Goodwill outlets are one step away from Hell. I've seen used toilet brushes, cat litter boxes with turds still in there, skiddy underpants, used car oil filters and once a pink dildo. Just what are some people thinking?

My recent Goodwill scores - the 18th century glass mentioned above, 99c; two sterling silver baby bristle brushes dating from 1912 and 1913 respectively, $1.99 the pair; an early 19th century Aynsley platter, $2.99; a new Filson men's shirt, $5.99; a Stella McCartney ski jacket, $9.99; a new North Face 3-season sleeping bag, $4.99. There has been more, too.

robin1234 Jul 7th 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12528665)
My recent Goodwill scores - the 18th century glass mentioned above, 99c; two sterling silver baby bristle brushes dating from 1912 and 1913 respectively, $1.99 the pair; an early 19th century Aynsley platter, $2.99; a new Filson men's shirt, $5.99; a Stella McCartney ski jacket, $9.99; a new North Face 3-season sleeping bag, $4.99. There has been more, too.

I picked up a nice set of Jane Austen's novels at an Oxfam shop, £4.99. The cheapest I've seen that particular edition listed at elsewhere is £1,500.