Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Is there meaning to life?

Is there meaning to life?

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
It's unlikely that JC looked like a tall, Scandinavian, that's for sure.
Well, we don't know what his Dad looked like.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy View Post
Well, we don't know what his Dad looked like.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:25 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The son, upthread, does actually bear a resemblance.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Are his hands very small, or just far away?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I didn't say the the 10 commandments had any bearing on witches; I said that Christians did nothing to help witches. Worse, Christians persecuted witches (and subjugated slaves). How can that be if there is a moral code provided by God? ANSWER: the moral code from God has had to adapt, and that's fine, because it fact it is written by men, just as the entire myth of a god is written by men. "Changed circumstances" is a huge cop out for anyone positing that a greater being has provided morality. It's as pathetic as some Christians now having to reluctantly admit to evolution as the weight of scientific evidence becomes immense. A hundred more years, and Christians will be seem as relevant as the Druids are today.
Why should the 10 commandments help those who do evil deeds such as what society believed witches could do. That they could cause sickness and death and affect outcomes of life. Wouldn't it be an injustice If we helped witches if they did did exist as having supernatural powers. I feel your trying to complicate something that is very simple to understand. God doesn't adapt, man adapts himself to progress in consistency with objective moral principles of equality, justice, rights etc. Slaves from the establishment of Christianity were bound by these truths aswell and laws were established to reflect that in which their human value and dignity must be respected. Quite a step up from the pre Christian era. As time moved on society within this frame of thought that humanity TRULY has intrinsic value and the objective moral principles that spawn from it we eradicated slavery even if one desires it. Some people would sell themselves into slavery for a period of time to pay off a debt for example. We can see therefore how we progress bit by bit but the moral principles don't change, WE change in relation to them which is why we called it progress. We are progressing towards equality, justice and rights in understanding our very nature which objective moral principles help define. How does a naturalist judge progress if they don't know where they are progressing to? These concepts are then not objective principles and so ones progression towards them is simply progressing on a road of their preference. If I make up subjective concepts of greed, selfishness and pride then as I move in consistency with these concepts I call that progress. If objective moral principles change then how do we call it progress?

Last edited by paddy234; Feb 22nd 2018 at 7:10 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Are his hands very small, or just far away?
Smells of cabbage too.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:17 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
Why should the 10 commandments help those who do evil deeds such as what society believed witches could do. That they could cause sickness and death and affect outcomes of life. Wouldn't it be an injustice If we helped witches if they did did exist as having supernatural powers. I feel your trying to complicate something that is very simple to understand. God doesn't adapt, man adapts himself to progress in consistency with objective moral principles of equality, justice, rights etc. Slaves from the establishment of Christianity were bound by these truths aswell and laws were established to reflect that in which their human value and dignity must be respected. Quite a step up from the pre Christian era. As time moved on society within this frame of thought that humanity TRULY has intrinsic value and the objective moral principles that spawn from it we eradicated slavery even if one desires it. Some people would sell themselves into slavery for a period of time to pay off a debt for example. We can see therefore how we progress bit by bit but the moral principles don't change, WE change in relation to them which is why we called it progress. We are progressing towards equality, justice and rights in understanding our very nature which objective moral principles help define. How does a naturalist judge progress if they don't know where they are progressing to? These concepts are then not objective principles and so ones progression towards them is simply progressing on a road of their preference. If I make up subjective concepts of greed, selfishness and pride then as I move in consistency with these concepts I call that progress. If objective moral principles change then how do we call it progress?
I'm not trying to complicate anything. I'm merely presenting two cases (witches and slavery) where Christian morality has shifted, and therefore demonstrated the the objective morality you claim on the part of God is a fiction. As is he a fiction (not to belabour the point). If your claim is that there is a god, and that he sets morality, then the very fact that humans have been unable to follow it, and as you say, adapt, suggests that the objective morality is irrelevant.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I've tried to control the urge but I just can't any more.

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:45 pm

I'm sorry, I've tried to control the urge but I just can't any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwPr5H-wjAA
Thank god. So to speak.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Thank god. So to speak.
I'm hoping that the christian god has a sense of humour.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Well of course you would due to pascals wager and all that 😉
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

When a civilization is built on subjective moral principles then I'll take the naturalist seriously and by subjective i mean that these moral principles can change in time due to the opinion of individuals or society at large. Until then you will live under certain objective moral principles that stem from a christian world view you claim not to believe in. How ironic. Talk about self denial

Last edited by paddy234; Feb 22nd 2018 at 8:40 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't look like any of them are very good.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 22nd 2018 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:25 pm

Irony, at least.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:27 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
When a civilization is built on subjective moral principles then I'll take the naturalist seriously and by subjective i mean that these moral principles can change in time due to the opinion of individuals or society at large. Until then you will live under certain objective moral principles that stem from a christian world view you claim not to believe in. How ironic. Talk about self denial
I wonder how the Japanese, Chinese, Indians manage to order their society without a Christian god's guidance?? You live in a small small world. No wonder you're duped by Pascal's wager in this day and age.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.