Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Is there meaning to life?

Is there meaning to life?

Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:53 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Is there meaning to life?

Just thought i'd start a post on the type of discussions i enjoy very much which are philosophical in nature. If you enjoy it feel free to comment

paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:33 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,920
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

No there isn't, none at all
We are nothing but evolved animals, no different to a cow, a lion, an ant colony or any other creature.
Whilst it may pain some to accept the fact, we follow the rules and beliefs of what ever society we are in
We get up, do the bidding off others until we cannot do it any more then we die and cease to exist at every level.
Justcol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:32 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
No there isn't, none at all
We are nothing but evolved animals, no different to a cow, a lion, an ant colony or any other creature.
Whilst it may pain some to accept the fact, we follow the rules and beliefs of what ever society we are in
We get up, do the bidding off others until we cannot do it any more then we die and cease to exist at every level.
I have heard many say this but do you really believe this to be true? When you see violence against the innocent, atrocities, corruption etc do you just look at this violence the same way you would watch the nature channel of a group of lions attacking and eating other species. If someone tripped you over on the street would you not be angry at them and scold them for their injustice against you and demand that they ought not to behave this way as if they ought to know better and conform to a moral law we all abide by and take for granted without really ever thinking of it's origins
paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:50 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Bo-Jangles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 4,829
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

42. The answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

I'm definitely of the view that there's a beginning, a middle and an end. You're born, you do stuff and then you die. Game over.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:18 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
42. The answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

I'm definitely of the view that there's a beginning, a middle and an end. You're born, you do stuff and then you die. Game over.
Fair enough so would you say things like justice, equality, rights etc are just made up concepts to make life more bearable?
paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:28 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,920
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
would you not be angry at them and scold them for their injustice against you and demand that they ought not to behave this way as if they ought to know better and conform to a moral law we all abide by and take for granted without really ever thinking of it's origins

"we follow the rules and beliefs of what ever society we are in"

watch a herd of cows going to the milking shed, each one knows its place in the line
ever see animal cubs or young playing, they are figuring who is dominant and who is not, seeing where they fit in
all we do is the same thing but we think we are to arrogant as a race to admit it
we are simply mammals with an evolved hierarchical society

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 16th 2018 at 9:31 am.
Justcol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:29 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,920
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
Fair enough so would you say things like justice, equality, rights etc are just made up concepts to make life more bearable?
yes
Justcol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:59 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Bo-Jangles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 4,829
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
Fair enough so would you say things like justice, equality, rights etc are just made up concepts to make life more bearable?
Of course, they're just part of the T&Cs or code of conduct on how we assemble ourselves. Birds do, it bees do it even educated fleas do it.

All just constructs designed to prevent us being a danger to ourselves and others; if we didn't have any guidelines it would be chaos and we really would still be feral savages. Most of us have free will and choose which bits of the code we relate to and many dip in and out at times simply to appear to conform, or please other people.

Chimps and many other animals soon learn that behaving in certain ways, conforming with certain patterns of behaviour, ticking boxes or pressing the right button gets us more goodies. It's no different, we learn that by following certain rules, being good, pleasing people and avoiding bad things mostly keeps us out of prison or stops other bad things from happening.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:00 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
"we follow the rules and beliefs of what ever society we are in"

watch a herd of cows going to the milking shed, each one knows its place in the line
ever see animal cubs or young playing, they are figuring who is dominant and who is not, seeing where they fit in
all we do is the same thing but we think we are to arrogant as a race to admit it
we are simply mammals with an evolved hierarchical society
So we are merely animals with no intrinsic value? Tell me why is it murder if I kill a baby but not a lamb? Would you say objectively it's not REALLY wrong, do we just say it is wrong based on our moral desires of the times?

Last edited by paddy234; Feb 16th 2018 at 10:10 am.
paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:07 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
Of course, they're just part of the T&Cs or code of conduct on how we assemble ourselves. Birds do, it bees do it even educated fleas do it.

All just constructs designed to prevent us being a danger to ourselves and others; if we didn't have any guidelines it would be chaos and we really would still be feral savages. Most of us have free will and choose which bits of the code we relate to and many dip in and out at times simply to appear to conform, or please other people.

Chimps and many other animals soon learn that behaving in certain ways, conforming with certain patterns of behaviour, ticking boxes or pressing the right button gets us more goodies. It's no different, we learn that by following certain rules, being good, pleasing people and avoiding bad things mostly keeps us out of prison or stops other bad things from happening.
I suppose under this worldview the most rational tribe is the one who dominates and enslaves the Other for they are the ones who gain the most? Perhaps Britain was on the wrong side during ww2. A eugenics society of exterminating the weak might have been natures attempt to push the natural order of things through as what could be more unnatural under naturalism than believing that humans have an intrinsic value and dignity above all the animals and our attempt to preserve the weaker humans by the strongest working to their best efforts to sustain them rather than using all our efforts for the survival of the fittest. It seems irrational as the concept of Equality, rights, justice are objective principles based on the theistic worldview, it's what western civilization was largely built upon.

Last edited by paddy234; Feb 16th 2018 at 10:10 am.
paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:30 am
  #11  
Truth is the safest lie.
 
Charismatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: @ the beach.
Posts: 6,469
Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is there meaning to life?

Yes, no, maybe and other.

Language is a general-purpose instrument of communication, if you ask a vague, indefinite, ill-defined question you usually get a greatly diminished answer. What’s more interesting perhaps is the reason people pursuit this line of enquiry and how they go about it.

This was a central question of philosophy for over a thousand years, until we started more pressing lines of enquiry like asking if a Jaffa cake was a biscuit or cake or if milk came first or last in tea*.

*If you even considered no milk you are wrong and deserve the social ridicule visited upon you. I googled this however and no one seems to have suggested concurrent pouring both (which I posture is purely a hypothetical conjecture based on a scenario where people are cursed with a sort of weird bodily symmetry) so this will be my great contribution to modern philosophy.
Charismatic is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:38 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
Yes, no, maybe and other.

Language is a general-purpose instrument of communication, if you ask a vague, indefinite, ill-defined question you usually get a greatly diminished answer. What’s more interesting perhaps is the reason people pursuit this line of enquiry and how they go about it.

This was a central question of philosophy for over a thousand years, until we started more pressing lines of enquiry like asking if a Jaffa cake was a biscuit or cake or if milk came first or last in tea*.

*If you even considered no milk you are wrong and deserve the social ridicule visited upon you. I googled this however and no one seems to have suggested concurrent pouring both (which I posture is purely a hypothetical conjecture based on a scenario where people are cursed with a sort of weird bodily symmetry) so this will be my great contribution to modern philosophy.
I think when most people today hear this question they automatically think that one is asking do we have meaning or are we just a collection of cells spawned from evolution. Many claim that is all we are but I've yet to see one live this way
paddy234 is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 11:53 am
  #13  
Truth is the safest lie.
 
Charismatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: @ the beach.
Posts: 6,469
Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
I think when most people today hear this question they automatically think that one is asking do we have meaning or are we just a collection of cells spawned from evolution. Many claim that is all we are but I've yet to see one live this way
That is a popular way to frame the question. If you where unhappy with the responses I'd suggest that says more about you than the other participants of the discussion (incidentally, anyone seen my flame proof suit?) and you may interpret that in any way you please however positive or negative. Everyone is a winner with philosophy*.

*Not with tea however, tea without milk makes you a pariah and society will eventually relegate you to "bohemian" areas and them as "vegans" forcing them to wear ponchos as a mark of their terrible affliction.
Charismatic is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:04 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Pica's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,448
Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Procreation? To ensure the species survives ( although humankind is doing its best to narrow down that possibility)
Pica is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2018, 11:38 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 456
paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there meaning to life?

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
That is a popular way to frame the question. If you where unhappy with the responses I'd suggest that says more about you than the other participants of the discussion (incidentally, anyone seen my flame proof suit?) and you may interpret that in any way you please however positive or negative. Everyone is a winner with philosophy*.

*Not with tea however, tea without milk makes you a pariah and society will eventually relegate you to "bohemian" areas and them as "vegans" forcing them to wear ponchos as a mark of their terrible affliction.
Please understand i am not trying to attack anyone, i just want to understand the thoughts of others on this. I'm not going to deny i am unhappy that people see the world this way but the reason why i pursue my questioning is because i believe they say this without understanding the ramifications of what sort of world we would live in if we actually took this world-view seriously.

Let me explain, lets say a woman comes home to her family after she had been brutally raped, could you imagine a response being a chuckle and the mother or father replying "well you can't fight nature darling, look on the bright side, at least there is a chance of you procreating and aiding the natural processes of life" Thats all we're here for. Again in this case can you imagine the woman that was raped talking to the perpetrator down the line and saying "remember that time you raped me, that hurt me physically and psychologically more than you could ever realize but oh well i'm sure you enjoyed yourself, your just doing what nature intended"

I believe the responses in the above posts don't bother anyone because they don't actually understand them because our society has become sections of people saying things without understanding them or where they came from. Rights, equality, justice, dignity etc. We use these phrases because we understand these metaphysical truths of our nature in which we believe humanity itself is intrinsically valuable and having a purpose in life without realizing where this view came from, that it actually spawns from the belief that we share in the nature of our creator. This would push many towards the belief in God which they don't want so they actually deny these things exist at all out of one mouth however out of their other mouth they speak as if they know these things are Truth. It's all very well someone saying there is no real right or wrong until some injustice has been done against them and/or their family, you won't hear anyone here defending pedophilia, murder, rape, corruption and in actual fact what i find on this forum as i do in society in general is that we all at times demand that people abide by some moral standard that we ALL ought to abide by. We recognize a moral standard therefore that is transcendent to us, this is why we say that the Nazis were Truly wrong even if they were to conquer all of Europe and push forward their agenda of exterminating what they believed to be weaker humans. It wouldn't matter if the majority of society agreed with them which many did, they would still be wrong

So after all this my question to you is this, are you happy enough with the ramifications of believing there is no purpose, meaning or value to life?

Last edited by paddy234; Feb 17th 2018 at 12:09 am.
paddy234 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.