Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Surprising my Mum

Surprising my Mum

Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:47 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surprising my Mum

Okay, so last week we had some very, very sad news: I miscarried our baby at seven weeks into my second pregnancy. We were absolutely devastated and my family in the UK felt quite helpless, being so far away.

My Mum asked me if I wanted her to fly out here to give me some support, but once she looked into the price of flights she ended up telling me they were really expensive and she couldn't come. I completely understood and I was just looking forward to seeing my Dad at the end of the month, as he has had a vacation booked to see us for about six months.

Then yesterday my Little O was playing on the iPad and accidentally hit the e-mail button instead of his game. When I rescued the iPad I noticed it had brought up my husband's account, with an e-mail from my Mum. I was so confused, and I thought it was MY account, and that I'd missed reading it earlier. So I read it. And got even more confused!

My Mum actually DID book a flight, for next week, and she's surprising me!

Well... now I'm really excited and pleased she's giving me this unconditional love and support. BUT, obviously I have to flip this around and surprise HER instead!

So now I need some ideas on how to surprise her. I thought about just turning up at the airport to collect her, but I think she would just be disappointed her plans were foiled. It would be better, and funnier, to do something more spectacular.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surprising my Mum

No ideas, but what a great surprise for both of you!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:21 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

When she gets there, she finds out you've flown to the Bahamas.

Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:22 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, you could book a table at a nice restaurant, send a car to pick her up at the airport and take her straight there. It would be like a surprise party for her when she arrives.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:31 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski View Post
On a serious note, you could book a table at a nice restaurant, send a car to pick her up at the airport and take her straight there. It would be like a surprise party for her when she arrives.
Oooh! That's a wonderful idea!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert View Post
Okay, so last week we had some very, very sad news: I miscarried our baby at seven weeks into my second pregnancy. We were absolutely devastated and my family in the UK felt quite helpless, being so far away.
Sorry to hear that, hon. Big hugs.

My Mum asked me if I wanted her to fly out here to give me some support, but once she looked into the price of flights she ended up telling me they were really expensive and she couldn't come. I completely understood and I was just looking forward to seeing my Dad at the end of the month, as he has had a vacation booked to see us for about six months.

Then yesterday my Little O was playing on the iPad and accidentally hit the e-mail button instead of his game. When I rescued the iPad I noticed it had brought up my husband's account, with an e-mail from my Mum. I was so confused, and I thought it was MY account, and that I'd missed reading it earlier. So I read it. And got even more confused!

Well... now I'm really excited and pleased she's giving me this unconditional love and support. BUT, obviously I have to flip this around and surprise HER instead!

So now I need some ideas on how to surprise her. I thought about just turning up at the airport to collect her, but I think she would just be disappointed her plans were foiled. It would be better, and funnier, to do something more spectacular.

Any ideas?
I have no idea. I'm horrible at surprises, practical jokes, etc.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would totally leave well alone let them all think its a surprise they obviously are very excited about it....I would keep my half of the surprise for another payback time in the future.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:09 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
So sorry, sending hugs your way.

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
I would totally leave well alone let them all think its a surprise they obviously are very excited about it....I would keep my half of the surprise for another payback time in the future.
I agree, she obviously wanted it to be a surprise so I'd pretend thats what it is
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage. That must be a very trying time for you and DH. It's nice that your Mum wants to be there for you.

Have you told your DH that you know about the "surprise"? If not, I would keep it under your hat and act really surprised when she arrives. Have a nice surprise for her sometime during her stay. A spa treatment and/or some retail therapy and a nice lunch with DH keeping an eye on the little one might work.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Pops, let them believe you don't know anything. So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Enjoy your time with you mum
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with this one...
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:47 pm
Ginger Monkey

Well... the thing is: I'm terrible at keeping secrets. I'd blab and let it slip at some point that I knew she was coming, and then she'd get mad that I'd pretended. I think she'd actually be insulted.

So either I need to brush up on my acting skills, or I need to come up with a nice way to thank her without bursting her bubble.

I like the spa idea... that would be nice for both of us. I could meet her at the airport and we could both go and get massages. Lord knows I could do with one...
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well... the thing is: I'm terrible at keeping secrets. I'd blab and let it slip at some point that I knew she was coming, and then she'd get mad that I'd pretended. I think she'd actually be insulted.

So either I need to brush up on my acting skills, or I need to come up with a nice way to thank her without bursting her bubble.

I like the spa idea... that would be nice for both of us. I could meet her at the airport and we could both go and get massages. Lord knows I could do with one...
Call her bluff tell her you are thinking of booking a surprise trip to the UK and not telling hubs ...and you have been looking at flights she might fess up
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:19 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked with your hubby? They might have arranged something for when she arrives, a meal at a restaurant or something where she can walk in and really shock you. You don't want to arrange something for when she arrives if it clashes with something they have already planned.

How about something really simple, like putting Little O in a I love my Granny T-shirt for when she arrives
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:32 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Have you checked with your hubby? They might have arranged something for when she arrives, a meal at a restaurant or something where she can walk in and really shock you. You don't want to arrange something for when she arrives if it clashes with something they have already planned.

How about something really simple, like putting Little O in a I love my Granny T-shirt for when she arrives
Well, my OH had told me originally that he was working late on Tuesday. I got all mad and stuff because Tuesday nights are library nights in our house, and I thought he was being a stinker. Turns out he was just planning on picking my Mum up from the airport and bringing her home as a surprise.

So I don't think they have anything else planned. I will have to wait and see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.