Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

So, Who Does Christmas Better?

So, Who Does Christmas Better?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:55 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, Who Does Christmas Better?

I seem to be missing a typical Brit Xmas even more than usual this year. Maybe it's a touch of nostalgia for Xmas telly, and not working from Christmas Eve until January 2nd. Maybe, it's because it seems like sometime an American Chrismas is all flash and no bang. So, as almost everyone here has experienced the festive season in both countries, as the title says, who in your opinion does it better? The UK or USA?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:06 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, Who Does Christmas Better?

This is going to be my first Xmas here so I can't compare.. I look forward to spending time with new relatives (I have only met some of them recently) including my only niece so far, she is 3 and the cutest thing..

On Xmas day we are snowmobiling.. that should be fun..

I'll miss my family though..
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I've spent Christmas in the USA, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, the south of Thailand, Hawai'i (I know, I know, but it feels like another country) and New Zealand. The best was in Songkhla, Thailand 'cos it was just another work day. No fuss, no muss, no bloody Christmas. Hooray!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz
I've spent Christmas in the USA, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, the south of Thailand, Hawai'i (I know, I know, but it feels like another country) and New Zealand. The best was in Songkhla, Thailand 'cos it was just another work day. No fuss, no muss, no bloody Christmas. Hooray!
I hear ya.

Christmas comes but once a year, and when it does, it's bloody dear.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:51 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
So, as almost everyone here has experienced the festive season in both countries, as the title says, who in your opinion does it better? The UK or USA?
Hard to say, I like a lot of the things about Christmas in the USA, snow, all the lights and effort people put into decorating their houses etc, but I also miss a lot from the UK........ going down the pub Christmas afternoon, all the family meeting up (for some reason family here don't do it as much, and when they do it's not as relaxed and feels like they only do it because they feel like they should, not because they want to) mince pies, decorations hanging all around the house (not just having a tree decorated) Christmas TV, Christmas crackers and the crap jokes/toys.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think it is unfair to compare or ask who does it better. Every country has its own traditions and then those traditions are reshaped by one's family. It is natural to feel that the tradition you grew up with and its memories of warmth and love and caring is the best and nothing else can compare to it.

While I know that some European countries give their employees Christmas week off, I wonder if it is a mandatory shut down of business or just a perk from the company not all of them. And yes, I worked for a US Sudsidiary of a Danish company for many years and they closed for the last two weeks of July and first two weeks of August but remained open during Christmas week.

Anyway, enjoy Christmas in the manner which makes you happy. Just because you are in the US doesn't mean you can't enjoy an "English" Christmas.

I seem to be missing a typical Brit Xmas even more than usual this year. Maybe it's a touch of nostalgia for Xmas telly, and not working from Christmas Eve until January 2nd. Maybe, it's because it seems like sometime an American Chrismas is all flash and no bang. So, as almost everyone here has experienced the festive season in both countries, as the title says, who in your opinion does it better? The UK or USA?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i've spent past xmas's in both countries over the years and guess it's down to the individual but for me Christmas is at home and that's back in Blighty with friends and being surrounded by all the things I like.

you summed it up well the american xmas is all flash and no bang.... i must remember that
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the US is too big a place to generalise how Christmas goes - here in Florida, apart from the lights, it feels distinctly unChristmassy to me, a lot due to the weather, the rest to do with not having Christmas week off and being outside a village atmosphere, which is how I was brought up in the UK.
I know where I'd rather be this time of year, and it isn't here. We do have plenty of family about from my wifes side, and this year they really are bending over backwards to try to make it more like a UK Christmas, bless em, but it just isn't the same. I do reckon if we were up north in the snow, it may well be a different story - maybe better than the UK, where it never snows on Christmas anymore, anyway!

I do think, however, that the fact that a lot of people do not get Christmas week off, kills it somewhat - in the UK, when almost everyone is off, it adds to the atmosphere. Here, even if you did have the week off, it might not amount to much if noone of your family/friends did.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think the US is too big a place to generalise how Christmas goes - here in Florida, apart from the lights, it feels distinctly unChristmassy to me, a lot due to the weather, the rest to do with not having Christmas week off and being outside a village atmosphere, which is how I was brought up in the UK.
I know where I'd rather be this time of year, and it isn't here. We do have plenty of family about from my wifes side, and this year they really are bending over backwards to try to make it more like a UK Christmas, bless em, but it just isn't the same. I do reckon if we were up north in the snow, it may well be a different story - maybe better than the UK, where it never snows on Christmas anymore, anyway!
yeah a few yrs ago we went to colorado for xmas as my hubs bless thought i'd feel more christmassy but it didn't, it was fun but not christmas. but i've decided over the yrs it's being surround by your family/friends that makes it for me and they are not here.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the UK because it was nice to have the whole week off. I enjoyed all the preparation for Christmas and then being able to savour it all for a week. Everyone we knew had the week off and so there was always lots going on. Last year was our first here which made it a bit harder but it was over so quickly. I miss school nativities and carol concerts.

But we had a white Christmas last year which was magical and this year we have a big parade because our high school won the State football championships
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Two things I don't like about it in the US, not getting the time off to enjoy it, and as soon as 26th comes around, it's all over and there sticking up valentines and paddy's day stuff out.

Saying that, I do rather like the cheesy factor of it over here, the lights and all...but it does begin far to early

Oh, and the UK, I miss the cheesy tv comedy specials.

But I wouldn't say that one country did it the best, but a combination of the two would be nice.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:17 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

personally...the only thing that really sucks here is not having a boxing day. So going back to work on the 26th really pissês me off!

I miss going down the con club on boxing day having a dozen jars...walk home bladdered and having the old dear knock up freshly cooked chips with cold turkey, pickled onions and red cabbage....de-lish.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:09 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off for ten days...thats correct 10 of them...Saturday 23rd Dec to January 2nd...Count them. TEN DAYS OFF. Muahaha.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:11 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a few years to figure it out too. But then it sort of came to me - in the US it starts off with Thanksgiving, with the 4 days off for most, and then the season goes through to Xmas. In the UK there is no Thanksgiving at the beginning, but it ends with the holiday time off at Xmas. It's just the other way round.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:16 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
It took me a few years to figure it out too. But then it sort of came to me - in the US it starts off with Thanksgiving, with the 4 days off for most, and then the season goes through to Xmas. In the UK there is no Thanksgiving at the beginning, but it ends with the holiday time off at Xmas. It's just the other way round.
Except in the US they dont have the actual time off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.