Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The smell of lay-offs in the air ...

The smell of lay-offs in the air ...

Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The smell of lay-offs in the air ...

Gosh. What a turbulent economy we are still in. And this thread is nearly three years old!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still hanging around unemployed nearly 2 years later. Have had multiple 'bites', but none have panned out thus far. Of course, it didn't help that we made a move to Scotland that didn't work out. Perhaps if we'd stayed here, I'd have a job by now, but at least we now know where we don't want to live.

So now I am rather seriously contemplating going back to school in order to break into a new career. Luckily we at an age where we can still do this, and can (hopefully) recover financially from it. It's certainly felt like I've lost my 30's though; instead of feeling any stability, it's cost us financially and emotionally.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:11 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
I'm still hanging around unemployed nearly 2 years later. Have had multiple 'bites', but none have panned out thus far. Of course, it didn't help that we made a move to Scotland that didn't work out. Perhaps if we'd stayed here, I'd have a job by now, but at least we now know where we don't want to live.

So now I am rather seriously contemplating going back to school in order to break into a new career. Luckily we at an age where we can still do this, and can (hopefully) recover financially from it. It's certainly felt like I've lost my 30's though; instead of feeling any stability, it's cost us financially and emotionally.
You're only 33 - another 7 years to go yet!

Did I miss what happened in scotland, why didn't it work out, last I remember you were moving to scotland in sept/oct time?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

look at it an an option to move into something you totally fancy doing. a do-over if you will. its not the chance lost but instead the chance you get to make for yourself in the area of your dreams!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
You're only 33 - another 7 years to go yet!

Did I miss what happened in scotland, why didn't it work out, last I remember you were moving to scotland in sept/oct time?
My OH and I just moved back to the US about 2 weeks ago. He realized he had on some rose-tinted glasses, and wasn't as happy in Scotland as he thought he would be. He was there about 6mo and I was there about 2mo. I can't say I hated living there since I wasn't there long enough, but I felt relieved when he told me he wanted to move back here. So when his former US boss offered him a job, we jumped on it and moved back!

And yes I know I have another 7 years to go before the 30s are gone, but hubs is now almost 37; it will likely take me at least 2 years of studying to get a degree so I can change fields, and we somehow (may) need to squeeze in having children at some point. Instead of feeling somewhat settled down and stable (at least financially), it's been unstable. I've been out of work for almost 2 years, with the possibility of 2 more years out, so it feels like I'm losing a lot of earning potential ya know...just when I should be gaining the better salaries.

MsElui, that's a great approach to take. I fear I may just fall back into the trap of choosing a field that will pay well, instead of choosing one for the love of it. My areas of interest just don't seem to come with a great salary!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:48 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back! We were wondering what was going on at the Cinci Xmas meet a few weeks back. Wish you could have been there. We're going to have a summer picnic at our place, so if you're close maybe you can attend.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I just moved back to the US about 2 weeks ago. He realized he had on some rose-tinted glasses, and wasn't as happy in Scotland as he thought he would be. He was there about 6mo and I was there about 2mo. I can't say I hated living there since I wasn't there long enough, but I felt relieved when he told me he wanted to move back here. So when his former US boss offered him a job, we jumped on it and moved back!

And yes I know I have another 7 years to go before the 30s are gone, but hubs is now almost 37; it will likely take me at least 2 years of studying to get a degree so I can change fields, and we somehow (may) need to squeeze in having children at some point. Instead of feeling somewhat settled down and stable (at least financially), it's been unstable. I've been out of work for almost 2 years, with the possibility of 2 more years out, so it feels like I'm losing a lot of earning potential ya know...just when I should be gaining the better salaries.

MsElui, that's a great approach to take. I fear I may just fall back into the trap of choosing a field that will pay well, instead of choosing one for the love of it. My areas of interest just don't seem to come with a great salary!
My son is the same age as you and he is currently working at Target and occasionally filling in at Children's Place and going to school. He did try to do the UPS early shift part time also but it was too much. There are only so many hours in a day. He wants to get his Master's because he REALLY wants to teach. He's very good at retail, BUT it's teaching he wants. Ironically, Target wants him to be a manager which is an automatic 10.00 an hour pay increase and no more than 40 hours a week (compared to his managing Blockbuster(s) and working 70+ hours) and it would cut his insurance costs in half, which are currently 800 a month and that doesn't even cover his wife. She is now working as an Office Manager for a contractor and they treat her well. I am thankful that they realize you do what you have to do for now with an eye to the future, and those two little girls of theirs are good inspiration.

When in doubt, punt!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, after many resumes sent and positions applied to, I am finally employed once again. The offer came 2yrs to the day that I was laid off in 2010. It's a huge decrease in salary, probably 40% less, but at least it's a start and gets my foot back in the job market. I should also mention that it does seem to all pour in at once; I had 4 positions that I interviewed for within a week. So hopefully that's a sign employers are hiring at a faster pace.

Anyone else have any good news to report?

I am still seriously considering going for a Master's degree though. I found a Public Health degree program that really calls to me, and it would be a good fit financially and emotionally fulfilling I think. I'm still trying to decide to do it or not; taking on more student load debt is more than a bit off-putting.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 26th 2012 at 5:40 am.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job!

This can give you the breathing space to make decisions more clinically about where to take your future... I.e. not taking a decision for mainly financial reasons.

You mentioned earlier that the things you fancy don't come with big salaries, well...

Reframe!

Find a way to reframe what you want to do in terms of things that could bring in more salary.

A very good friend of mine is a coach, and truly one of the great ones in the world. He's really helped me out a few times. But people don't want to pay much for coaches - the market is saturated and many of them are formulaic (Steve is definitely not that, which is why he's so good)...

So we had a bit of a brainstorm (I am in sales skills training...pretty good at it too...) and now his focus and message is not coaching, I.e. not what he does, but what he helps his clients with... And they are prepared to pay plenty for that.

There is no reason to think that if you were going to be employed (vs own boss) in your chosen field, that you still can't reframe.

It's worth a go, and the only cost is time spent reframing... Which is your own time anyway.

Anyway, just a thought,

And congrats again.

Oh, and I'm 44, and on to my 5th career... Each in a sense being a reframe of what went before, AND there is ZERO obvious connection between my first career and my current one... You never know where it can take you. It took me & Mrs HTS across the pond to a new life...

Cheers

HTS
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after many resumes sent and positions applied to, I am finally employed once again. The offer came 2yrs to the day that I was laid off in 2010. It's a huge decrease in salary, probably 40% less, but at least it's a start and gets my foot back in the job market. I should also mention that it does seem to all pour in at once; I had 4 positions that I interviewed for within a week. So hopefully that's a sign employers are hiring at a faster pace.

Anyone else have any good news to report?

I am still seriously considering going for a Master's degree though. I found a Public Health degree program that really calls to me, and it would be a good fit financially and emotionally fulfilling I think. I'm still trying to decide to do it or not; taking on more student load debt is more than a bit off-putting.
Well done BL - would you do the Masters part-time whilst working?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful news BL!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:48 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Great job on getting the job!

I was thinking the same as Cape Blue - is there any way you can do the Masters part time, keep the job you've worked so hard to get, and cashflow the education costs instead of going into debt? OK it may take longer, and be a tougher couple of years, but it'd be nice to graduate without a student loan hanging round your neck and ready to hit the ground running! Alternatively, could you delay it a couple of years, pile up all the "new" income from the new job until you have enough to pay for the Masters out of pocket. Just a thought - only you know your own position and motivation and debt tolerance. Meantime - enjoy the new job!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Great job on getting the job!

I was thinking the same as Cape Blue - is there any way you can do the Masters part time, keep the job you've worked so hard to get, and cashflow the education costs instead of going into debt? OK it may take longer, and be a tougher couple of years, but it'd be nice to graduate without a student loan hanging round your neck and ready to hit the ground running!
Following up on this, does your new employer offer education assistance? I pursued this at mine and 4 years after graduation don't owe them a thing. It's worth checking out if you haven't already. Figure there's a chance someone else could pay for your education (or part of it) or a guarantee that you'd pay for all of it.

Also - Bluegrass Lass - think about what will make you happy. Do you need the high salary? I'm trapped by golden handcuffs myself and think this is worth thinking about...
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Congrats! part-time schooling seems to be the US way!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more with the whole concept of not following golden handcuffs! When I left the UK I was earning a very good salary but was totally fed up with the work and the travel that went along with it.

When I came here it gave me an opportunity to rethink what I wanted to do. I am fortunate that hubster has a good job with great benefits so I didn't need to jump right in. Anyway after a year or so of a break - I call it my acclimatizing period lol - I happened to casually glance through the paper and saw a job that really appealed to be. I was hoping to move in to working for myself or doing something more creative.

So I phoned them and then went along to have a chat - hey presto! The first job I went for I got, but I suspect it was because it was something that I genuinely have an interest in and enjoy. I'm now working as an embroiderer and screen printer and a very lowly salary and no benefits. However overall plan is to learn as much as I can about the business and processes etc. and then think as to what I want to do with it for myself. I already have some ideas but will develop these further as my skills and knowledge increase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.