Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:39 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 View Post
I have a (probably) really stupid question about a slingbox. Does the party in the UK have to have Sky? If they just have the normal terristrial channels will a slingbox work? Would it have to be set up on a diff tv from the one they use so that it wouldnt' affect the channels they watch?
You can pipe any kind of feed you want through SlingBox including channels receive via bunny rabbit antennas.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 View Post
I have a (probably) really stupid question about a slingbox. Does the party in the UK have to have Sky? If they just have the normal terristrial channels will a slingbox work? Would it have to be set up on a diff tv from the one they use so that it wouldnt' affect the channels they watch?
All that would be needed is that your split the coax cable, using a RF splitter, you can then connect one to the slingbox and the other to the TV/VCR or whatever you use. The TV is really irrelevant.

You will probably want to make sure that wherever you have your slingbox you have at least 500kbps upstream (upload) better still 768kbps. The slingbox produces a stream which is reliant on your upstream, the more you have the better quality it will be. Even then its not going to be broadcast quality.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
You can pipe any kind of feed you want through SlingBox including channels receive via bunny rabbit antennas.
Very True, however analogue broadcast's were decomissioned years a go in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldobson View Post
Very True, however analogue broadcast's were decomissioned years a go in the UK.
point still holds, just feed a digital tuner box to it instead...
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Redwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Current UK model Sling box has Freeview built in so all you need to do is connect the aerial lead into it, and hook up the networking to the router. Main thing that they should add is built in wireless connectivity from the slingbox to the router to avoid cabeling of having an add-on device.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:06 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Hi...

The Slingbox sounds fab... but are there any competitors/alternatives, & if so what are they like/which is the best ?

Also, after buying a Slingbox will I be charged for data-transfer by my mobile-phone network to watch TV on my Pocket PC, or is the entire thing done via my home broadband ?

M.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:17 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40 View Post
Hi...

The Slingbox sounds fab... but are there any competitors/alternatives, & if so what are they like/which is the best ?

Also, after buying a Slingbox will I be charged for data-transfer by my mobile-phone network to watch TV on my Pocket PC, or is the entire thing done via my home broadband ?

M.
The product selections in this niche market are very few. The only other product that I can think of is SageTV. It requires a little more interaction by the user in order to set it up. I think if you want a decent out of the box experience then SlingBox is the way to go.

As for the data transfers. Whether or not you get charged is all according to your cell phone plan. Otherwise there is no monthly fee associated with the use of the SlingBox. It's a one time purchase deal which is pretty sweet.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

The product selections in this niche market are very few. The only other product that I can think of is SageTV. It requires a little more interaction by the user in order to set it up. I think if you want a decent out of the box experience then SlingBox is the way to go.

As for the data transfers. Whether or not you get charged is all according to your cell phone plan. Otherwise there is no monthly fee associated with the use of the SlingBox. It's a one time purchase deal which is pretty sweet.
I would agree with UGACrew, as far a streaming media server all-in-one out of the box is concerned, slingbox is it (for now..).

Yes, there's MythTV and SageTV, but both of these solutions require high end technical skills to get up and running, and require dedicated PC hardware and tuner cards, then OS install/software configuraton.

So for most the Slingbox is the only viable solution
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

I''d recommend an unlimited flat rate data plan if your going to be doing video streaming over GPRS or 3G, it WILL get expensive real quick otherwise!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:29 pm
Riding on silver wings

I''d recommend an unlimited flat rate data plan if your going to be doing video streaming over GPRS or 3G, it WILL get expensive real quick otherwise!
I know. That's why I only sling to computers. The last thing I need is 24/7 access to the internet. How the heck am I supposed to fall off the grid if people know I can read email where ever I am. Mind you the idea of watching my TV from home is pretty sweet, but sometimes you've gotta live.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Not sure where you got that from. The last region to switch of the analogue transmitters is the South East in 2012.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

They will need to purchase two cable splitters. They need to attach one cable splitter to one cable coming in from the dish and the other splitter on the second cable coming in from the dish. This will allow them to use two converter boxes using that single cable feed. I have a picture of what it looks like below so you can send it to your friend for reference.

http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/7...esplitgood.JPG
Splitting the signal is not a good idea. You lose too much signal. Not a problem if you have a big dish, but with the bog standard Sky dish that most people use it would likely cause problems. You would be far better off using a new LNB on the satellite dish with two, four or eight outlets. When Sky install Sky+ they fit quad LNB's to the dish. Something like this.

http://www.pulsat.com/satellite/site...id=368&catID=9
Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

He he.....we have a Slingbox on our TV here in New Jersey.

My husband has relocated to Singapore (where local TV is heavily censored and quite frankly, dire). His favourite TV programme is "House" which we record on the Tivo, so he will be watching tonight's new episode in a few hours over there.....

A few months ago I was watching TV at home and suddenly the TV was changing channels all on its own, as if a ghost was in the house....it took a few moments to dawn on me that it was my spouse (at the time in an hotel in London) looking at the channel line-ups....!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Bertroot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

I too am in Singapore and considering the slingbox approach. I have a couple of potential family members who may be able to host for me but I would be interested in understanding exactly what is required on that side. My mother for example would struggle to get the box open let alone connect it up correctly - is it truely out of the box??

Also how do you control the slingbox from te PC/Laptop etc.....

In short help!! :-)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

The slingbox has to be plugged in to the coax, and depending on your setup, you may need a splitter to split the signal. Basically you have to be familar with the coax input/outputs and or svideo audio in/out inputs. Coax would be the simplest to setup.

You will also need someone who is local to the slingbox to setup the slingbox by logging in to it from a computer.

You control the slingbox via the slingplayer software which can be downloaded from http://www.slingmedia.com. It has a virtual remote control which allows you to change channels etc

NOTE: SlingMedia now have a SlingCatcher product which sits local to you and will connect to the Slingbox (remote) and will sling TV to your local TV, it also has a real physical remote control.

Last edited by ldobson; Oct 17th 2008 at 7:32 pm.